Hi there!

I'm one among the accepted (Research, Analysis and Design). 

About my profile, I am an International student (south-asian), have 3 years of research experience (currently working in academia in Italy) with academic background (Master's and Undergraduate) in International Development; was waitlisted last year; re-applied this year with addtional publication and teaching experience that I had in last one year.

I am really excited to be starting the program this year, and can't wait for September!

12 hours ago, John.Liu said:

Thank you so much @Scorpion! It seems like PRGS started to send out the admission decisions last week. I am still waiting anxiously beause I worry about that they will send rejections to applicants in the last minute?

Hi,

It's possible, but unfortunately we have no way of knowing for sure since PRGS seems to deviate significantly from their usual procedure this year. All we can do is wait and see and then leave notes here for future applicants to find 

11 hours ago, politely_curious said:

Hi,

It's possible, but unfortunately we have no way of knowing for sure since PRGS seems to deviate significantly from their usual procedure this year. All we can do is wait and see and then leave notes here for future applicants to find 

Hi, I really aporeciate your attitute. I waited and waited in the past 12 hours, but it seems like I did not receive anything on Feb.28 LA time. BTW Talking with other applicants here is really a good way to remain calm :)

1 hour ago, John.Liu said:

Hi, I really aporeciate your attitute. I waited and waited in the past 12 hours, but it seems like I did not receive anything on Feb.28 LA time. BTW Talking with other applicants here is really a good way to remain calm :)

Just 24 more hours then! Try to do something while waiting, otherwise time stretches out into what feels like eternity :)

22 minutes ago, politely_curious said:

Just 24 more hours then! Try to do something while waiting, otherwise time stretches out into what feels like eternity :)

Thanks for your suggestion! I will try to keep myself busy today and not to think about the application. Have you received any information about admission decision from PRGS? I guess most of us will receive decisions on March 1st ?

4 minutes ago, John.Liu said:

Thanks for your suggestion! I will try to keep myself busy today and not to think about the application. Have you received any information about admission decision from PRGS? I guess most of us will receive decisions on March 1st ?

Nope, no answer, same as you. I hope they won't push the date back a second time. I can't get anything done when I'm on my laptop since I'll just uselessly look at the webportal or stay on the forum, but today I made a to-do list of all the red tape and annoying errands I should run some day but that were never quite urgent enough to get done in the brouhaha of life... those are the kind of things I find work best for days when our mind really is elsewhere and at the end of the day I still got things done (works for me at least)

8 minutes ago, politely_curious said:

Nope, no answer, same as you. I hope they won't push the date back a second time. I can't get anything done when I'm on my laptop since I'll just uselessly look at the webportal or stay on the forum, but today I made a to-do list of all the red tape and annoying errands I should run some day but that were never quite urgent enough to get done in the brouhaha of life... those are the kind of things I find work best for days when our mind really is elsewhere and at the end of the day I still got things done (works for me at least)

I totally understand you because I feel the same way. I am working on my master dissertation. The deadline is just in two weeks, But I couldn't focus on data analysis and thesis writing. Every time I use my laptop, the only thing I want to do is to check the application portal and the official website. For another thing, I have a full time job, a permanent position, so quitting my job is also a challenge due to the long process and approval. If I got admitted, I have to start my visa application as soon as possible. I only dare to resign after my visa application is approved. Sigh..... PRGS is my dream school I had been working on the application for the past 10 months. I reviewed my math skills, learned Python programming, and took TOEFL. It would be really hard for me to receive rejection letter. But I will definitely try once more if I failed this time. Good luck to all of us here :)

I was totally wowed that we are in the same situation: having a full time/permanent position, working on a master dissertation, and PRGS being the dream school ?

It seems PRGS is releasing the results in the very last minute, which makes me more anxious and nervous. 

Let us hope that we receive positive answers!

24 minutes ago, djtntjs said:

I was totally wowed that we are in the same situation: having a full time/permanent position, working on a master dissertation, and PRGS being the dream school ?

It seems PRGS is releasing the results in the very last minute, which makes me more anxious and nervous. 

Let us hope that we receive positive answers!

Hi, @djtntjs  it must not be easy. I feel you and I almost sleepless last night (due to the time difference, my last night is  working hours in LA). This morning I wake up and check my inbox immediately. but nothing there. 

Leaving permanent position is a tough decision. I really admire your courage to step out of the comfort zone. Which stream are you applying for? 

7 minutes ago, djtntjs said:

I am applying for Research, Analysis, and Design stream, which I believe most of the applicants are applying for. It seems this year will be more competitive than before :(

Cool! That is a traditional one which has been run for nearly 50 years. I wanted to apply for that stream too, but my professional experience fit the CPPA stream better. So I choose the CPPA stream. But I think CPPA stream will not admit many students, maybe equally competitive as RAD stream :(  Wish you good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, anxiouslywaiting100 said:

Just letting you all know I recently turned down the RAND offer. Hope that means movement on the waitlist for you all, best of luck!

Thank you! We were told that the waitlist wasn't ranked, but that e.g. policy area would be considered, so i think they're replacing admitted students turning down the offer w WL students specializing in similar topics. Could you roughly let us know which area you're in (eg. defense/security, tech, education, social policy) and perhaps also if you're international or domestic?

Edited by politely_curious

Actually, a friend of mine had an interview around March 4 regarding his application for the PhD program. He applied to CPPS and he was told PRGS was impressed by his application but will want to bring him in as Masters (a new program with funding modalities being worked out) with the possibility of moving into the PhD program although there will be need for an application. He said they have a considerable pool of students they are looking at. They said they would get back to him on the details and further steps but hasn't gotten back from them yet. Just wanted to throw this out cos it is a different line of info. I guess lot of people applied with the attendant pool of highly qualified students too good to reject.

• 1 month later...

@Kolcak, I got the same info. Apparently RAND just got accredited to offer a Master's program, which is essentially the same as the first two years of the PhD program (they've been calling the first two years a MA program for a while anyway if I'm not mistaken). They seem to still be working on coming up with all the details (if it will start this year; funding modalities; details on when/based on which criteria people can transition into the PhD track program).

The idea is obviously less attractive a) because of the unspecified, but almost certainly lower funding and b) because of the unclear conditions of whether we could transition into the PhD and when we would know if we can. Many of us already have one or more Master's and accumulating more would probably make us look like we're avoiding the job market rather than trying to gain more skills.

It didn't sound like they'd be able to let us know soon tbh. It's tough because many of us no doubt need to make work / study / relocation choices and having at least a 3-month notice would be useful, but I do appreciate that they are trying to work it out for this year, so I think it's better for us not to pressure them too much if we don't want to risk the program being pushed back to 2023.

Edited by politely_curious
typo