Sports fans: Do you support your grad school's teams?

Eagles215

I'm a big sports fan, and one of my favorite things to do as an undergrad was to go to the various athletic events of my school's team (a Division I BCS conference school)...now I've moved on to grad school, at a different Division I BCS conference school (different conference from my undergrad school), and Im not really sure how to handle it. Thus, I'm curious to hear from other grad school folks who have a sports interest...how have you handled your school loyalties at your grad school??

Sports fan's worst nightmare...my undergrad/master's alma mater was facing off against my current graduate school in a bowl game this past December. I wore a UGA tshirt under a Texas A&M pullover to the bar to watch the game. Ags were up until I took off the pullover (it was hot). The others at the bar were good sports about it, but I got teased about not putting my pullover back on. I didn't. UGA won. They were happy. But I got free beer...

I'm going from one of the oldest college basketball programs to another, so it'll be a very interesting transition for me. The two schools played against each other in 2008's Final Four, and it'd be cool to see how the basketball tradition is where I'm going.

I'm not a big sports fan in general, but the situation is of interest to me since I'm going to grad school at my undergrads state rival about 45 minutes away. At my current restaurant job, where football fever is a big thing, there have been some lively debates about which team I'll hold dearest to my heart. I don't think it will ever be about sports as much for me as it will be school pride, but those dang mascots are just such a convenient symbol/label when identifying with the group.

Luckily my graduate school is in another conference from my undergrad school but it isn't as big of a sports school. I will however be in the territory of another conference which houses the rival I hate more than life haha.

I cheer for the teams of each of my grad schools. My undergrad is absolutely noncompetitive in most athletics so it doesn't present much of a conflict of interest. It was more difficult when I was an MA student because my MA school is in the same conference as the team I grew up rooting for. Luckily, I used to live where the childhood team is the most hated thing around so it was pretty easy to handle.

As I've said before, I'm a huge football and gymnastics fan, so I go to those games and cheer my teams on. I also root for them in March Madness.

Not a huge sports fan myself, but I went from Division III schools in undergrad to a Division II school for grad. I guess I'm moving up in the world.

I've decided in the last couple of years that I like watching hockey, but MyU doesn't have a hockey team. Phooey. Maybe next year I will cheer for the basketball team instead.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a bit of a different scenario. I've been a huge sports fan my entire life, and I was really into my undergrads decent mid-major basketball team (no football), and won't forget how upset I was my Freshman year when we were blown out of the water in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to a team I vowed to hate for the rest of my life, a game I saw in person after traveling 3000 miles to Sacremento.

Four years later here I am at that school, and am ready to start cheering on a new team. Life's funny that way.

I support my grad schools sports. And its not an issue during football season as my SLAC-undergrad did not have a football team so it doesn't matter and I got my M.S. at a medical university (no teams)!