ETH Zurich (ETHZ) 2022 - Admissions and ESOP/ETH-D decisions

dasdas

Just now, cloudi said:

My area is kinda small and specific, I would choose ETH simply because of research interest match. Fun fact: CMU don't even have people that matches all my research interests XD. I definitely acknowledge I have my weak points and I am not a perfect candidate, but I couldn't help wishing ETH could be like EPFL and accept more direct PhDs! The competition for DD is crazy.... Well I guess it's not meant to be.

For your situation, both schools are great for machine learning. CMU might be slightly better. Where are you from? If you are not european, US is also better for getting an industry job. 

I am from India and my aim is to get a PhD and not a job. I didnt apply PhDs because my profile is not yet good enough to get into a PhD and I want to improve my profile and connections to improve my chances of a PhD

3 minutes ago, zuluzazu said:

I am from India and my aim is to get a PhD and not a job. I didnt apply PhDs because my profile is not yet good enough to get into a PhD and I want to improve my profile and connections to improve my chances of a PhD

Imo choose who you want work with, but MS generally don't have visiting day events, so it would be good if you can try to find out the reputations of your POIs somehow. Are they pushy? Are they accessible? Do they invest time into working with MS students or are they never around? 

Although I am sure with your profile you would be able to do great work at either place! 

8 minutes ago, cloudi said:

Imo choose who you want work with, but MS generally don't have visiting day events, so it would be good if you can try to find out the reputations of your POIs somehow. Are they pushy? Are they accessible? Do they invest time into working with MS students or are they never around? 

Although I am sure with your profile you would be able to do great work at either place! 

Thanks! Yeah I am currently talking to seniors who have worked under my PoIs

On 3/2/2022 at 8:43 PM, Daniel_Gu said:

Has anyone that applied to the MSc in Environmental Sciences been accepted but without being asked for an interview? I gather that the long waiting time either means that I'm a very controversial candidate or that  they've lost my application papers somewhere.

I'm currently doing my bachelor in the department of Environmental Sciences and might be able to answer some of your questions. The decision for accepting or rejecting students is done without interview. Interviews are only done for the ESOP-application and you might even get ESOP without any interview. Not having had one is therefore not necessarily a bad sign. And I know the waiting time is nerve wracking, but even us ETH-students have not heard anything so far and we are almost certain to get accepted. It's completely normal you haven't heard anything, I guess they'll contact us during the next days :)

On 3/2/2022 at 8:43 PM, Daniel_Gu said:

Does anyone know if you can get the ESOP without research experience? I am top of my class, have excellent grades and have field experience (internships), but as we know, that's not enough. I feel like I never really had the opportunity to work on publishable research with my professors or work on a project of my own (with the objective of publication) during my degree...

That shouldn't be a problem. The study advisor said the most important thing is the proposal. You should be fine as long as it suits one of the research groups and is achievable in the given time (eg. your idea might be brilliant, but if you have to send a satellite to space, you're not going to get ESOP...). Grades are a tricky question: a lot of our professors seem to think that non-swiss grades are 'inflated'. The example here is that you're very likely to be top of the class with a 5.7 (out of 6). Translated to the GPA-system this would be something like a 3.8, which doesn't look that great anymore. It's just impossible to compare grades from different universities and countries. So it really comes down to the proposal...

Hope to meet you and everyone studying Atmospheric and Climate Science or Environmental Science next fall in Zurich :)

On 2/12/2022 at 7:52 AM, JunoKreisler said:

Hey all! Anyone here waiting for the admissions decision for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics?

Also, if anyone's wondering about ESOP interviews for D-BIOL, the interview invitation can come just a few days before its scheduled date. Every department organizes their ESOP admissions independently, so experiences from different departments might not really apply to your cases (source: ETH students)

I wish everyone here best of luck and success in studies!

Still waiting. the result of this program was released at Mar 5 last year, but it seems to come later this year. wondering there might be more applicants

Edited by Sigmo

On 2/28/2022 at 4:37 PM, AmoreChan said:

Hi, just want to ask if they already sent out the admission emails to students. I heard that they always send the admission emails together and the rejection emails together. 

Sorry for the very late answer, but nope, don't know a single one who received a letter for Biology, Biotechnology or CBB. Only heard that we might expect the answers in the second half of the month... 3-4 weeks of anxiety remain then ? I've noticedm though, that rejection mails seem to come before admission ones. There's a rare chance of being waitlisted.

4 hours ago, Sigmo said:

Still waiting. the result of this program was released at Mar 5 last year, but it seems to come later this year. wondering there might be more applicants

From my coursemates I've heard that last year's decisions from D-BSSE were announced/sent in the 2nd half of March,. Maybe internal students have to wait longer? Hopefully not.

I also believe that last year must've had fewer students applying because I know a few admitted ones, iternal and external, whose grades were way below the expected standard (4.5-4.75 rather than 5.25+/6 in the Swiss system) for that program.

My average at the time of application was 5.27 (dipped slightly since then...) and my SoP is seemingly good, I also got a LoR from one of the CBB Master mentors... although LoRs aren't demanded from ETH applicants.

24 minutes ago, JunoKreisler said:

Sorry for the very late answer, but nope, don't know a single one who received a letter for Biology, Biotechnology or CBB. Only heard that we might expect the answers in the second half of the month... 3-4 weeks of anxiety remain then ? I've noticedm though, that rejection mails seem to come before admission ones. There's a rare chance of being waitlisted.

I received an admission letter to Biotechnology last week. But I will wait for the result of my other applications before moving on.

On 3/4/2022 at 4:55 PM, ethan_jones said:

Are all the strong acceptance letter sent for the Msc in Computer Science ?

If I did not receive anything yet, does it mean that I am on the waiting list and will hear from them at the end of the month ?

Me too. So worried.

Just had the ESOP interview. Very technical and about an hour long.  Interviewer was from my field of interest and discussed everything in the CV and all the references in the pre-proposal in great detail. At the end mentioned that the pre-proposal is very interesting and he would strongly recommend my name to the committee. ?