Cornell or Columbia?

bilcant

There are professors that I'd like to work with in both universities. There is one research group at Columbia I am very enthusiastic about, however, not many others coincide with my interests. On the other hand, I can think of working with many more groups at Cornell. How important is this -- having the possibilities? Also, professors from my uni state that Cornell has a stronger program for PChem. However, I don't know how would it be like to live in Ithaca. It seems kinda harsh, given the weather conditions and so on. What other factors should I consider while deciding? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

On 2/1/2022 at 3:08 AM, bilcant said:

There are professors that I'd like to work with in both universities. There is one research group at Columbia I am very enthusiastic about, however, not many others coincide with my interests. On the other hand, I can think of working with many more groups at Cornell. How important is this -- having the possibilities? Also, professors from my uni state that Cornell has a stronger program for PChem. However, I don't know how would it be like to live in Ithaca. It seems kinda harsh, given the weather conditions and so on. What other factors should I consider while deciding? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Can you please tell when did you hear back from Cornell?

On 1/31/2022 at 3:38 PM, bilcant said:

I would recommend first deciding off of your impression from visitations. Speak to PIs if possible, by zoom or otherwise, and ask questions. I would recommend the program that offers more groups you are interested in. There is a possibility for things to not work out with your group of choice. This advice is based off of the advice of my friends who are 3rd+ year students.

19 hours ago, opit990 said:

I would recommend first deciding off of your impression from visitations. Speak to PIs if possible, by zoom or otherwise, and ask questions. I would recommend the program that offers more groups you are interested in. There is a possibility for things to not work out with your group of choice. This advice is based off of the advice of my friends who are 3rd+ year students.

Thank you so much!! 

Where can you live?  Who would you like to potentially work with?  Don't just talk to professors, but talk to various grad students within research groups you are interested in.  A highly regarded professor might be a pain to work with for 5 years, or they might be awesome.  A generally unhappy group of grad students within a research group might be because of the professor.  Most grad students won't tell you directly that they are unhappy, but it's generally easy to ask questions that give you the information you'd be looking for.  Also, NYC and Ithaca could not be more different to live.  You will be spending 5 years there.  Ithaca is MUCH colder than NYC in the winter, and there is MUCH less to do.  And NYC is obviously much more expensive, loud, etc, than Ithaca.  My quality of life is as to where I'd actually be living for 5 years is much more important to me than what research group I'd be in or which university has a superior department, but that's just me.  Figure out what your priorities are and you will be able to answer this question for yourself.  They are both highly regarded departments.