Threatened with funding being taken away halfway through my MA?

Rekhmire

I'm currently working on my MA, and I am funded by another department as I teach for them. When I accepted my offer to come to this school, I was told that the funding would be renewed for the second year as long as I met the GPA, taught well enough, and they still needed me, but was told that the latter part was no issue as they always needed extra TAs.

Fast forward to last week, I have been told that they have massively over offered places on their MA for next year, so they might cut off my funding. I have a 3.9 GPA, a perfect course evaluation, and I've got massively above and beyond to help my students and engage with the department. I'm devastated that the DGS didn't even have the balls to say it to my face but sent an email through the department PA. I'm not the only person this is happening to but I am in shock that this has been allowed to happen despite promises that it wouldn't. I can't afford this MA otherwise so I'd have to drop out. They told me they can't give me a decision until the middle of April at least, which is of course far too late r.e. housing and everything for next year.

What can I do? I'm applying for TA positions in other departments but I can't believe this has happened. What rights do I have? Do I have any at all?

Edited by Rekhmire
Weird formatting

Are you a member of CUPE or a union that advocates for TA/RA? I know my university's collective agreement includes clauses pertaining to job security. Perhaps speak to your union first (if you have one) and they can advice you of your rights, file a grievance, etc. 

On 2/7/2022 at 5:03 PM, MakeitRmakeit said:

Are you a member of CUPE or a union that advocates for TA/RA? I know my university's collective agreement includes clauses pertaining to job security. Perhaps speak to your union first (if you have one) and they can advice you of your rights, file a grievance, etc. 

We don't have a union, sadly, and the university said its legal team can't help me as it'd be a conflict of interest, even at the student legal clinic. So, I'm not entirely sure what to do.

Oh, read their rules of the subreddit because they're kinda difficult if there's background information missing in your post.

Otherwise, I'd recommend GradSchool or Ph.D subreddits as well

https://www.reddit.com/r/GradSchool/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhD/

Edited by Adelaide9216