UCLA vs University of Minnesota - MS in Biostatistcs

Hey everyone,

I am an international student and I have received 2 offers from UCLA and Minnesota for my masters in Biostatistics program. I would like to know which is better program for Biostatistics. My priorities right now are job prospects and good teaching faculties. I will be taking out a loan to fund my masters program so I will need to secure a decent paying job after I complete my program. I researched a lot and found out that Minnesota is a better and cheaper program in comparison to UCLA but UCLA has a major location advantage which might improve my chances for a job/internship. I am completely confused and would really appreciate your insights.

Moreover, I understand that most of the masters students do not receive any teaching/research assistantships in their 1st year but do a significant amount of masters students secure any form of assistantship in their final year of the program [This would help me fund my masters program]?

You will only have a (small) advantage in job prospects if you absolutely need to live in LA after graduating. Minnesota is a good program, and I don't see a reason to choose UCLA unless you think the city/weather is worth the extra money or you have personal reasons to settle down in California.

• 2 weeks later...

@bayessays Thank you so much for the response. I just have one more query. While applying for jobs [data scientist/data analyst/statistician], do companies weigh in the reputation of the college or the reputation of the program [UCLA has a better overall ranking, whereas in terms of the biostatistics program, Minnesota ranks better] or are they more concerned about the internships and projects that we have completed?

Edited by kails28

I recently graduated from UMN with my MS in biostats, and I can say that you will have a very very high chance of securing a TA or RA position by your second year, which will help defray the costs. If you are really self motivated, during your first year you can search for and obtain RA positions outside the department (it requires a lotta emails and networking, but it is doable!). As for job prospects afterwards, one of my cohort mates was offered a job in California afterwards, and I had several offers from around the country, so you won't be locked into only finding jobs in Minnesota. 

In regards to the application process, companies/organizations want candidates that have the skills and knowledge to do the job, so the reputation of the college is not the primary concern. However, what often happens is that companies based in a certain area usually employ graduates from institutions located there as well, so they end up going with what they personally know (the program they were in), over an institution they are not as familiar with. UMN is not a total unknown in the stats/biostats field, so that won't be as much of an issue, and you can always search up alums and see if they work in areas or at companies you are interested in.

Ultimately the cost is going to be a big determinant, and UMN is fairly cheap relative to most programs. You'll have good job prospects afterwards (especially in this job market).

Edit: to touch on the weather like @bayessays mentioned, the winters in the twin cities are horrendous, but transport to/from/on campus makes them tolerable (the winter tunnels under campus are fun, but trippy to walk around in without anyone else around). Just invest in a good coat, hat, gloves, and warm pants! And the summers make up for the winters

Edited by fireuponthedeep

• 2 weeks later...

“The U”, as those from Minnesota call the UMN, has great housing options for graduate students.  There is a student coop available within a mile of campus that  has heavily subsidized rental rates (Under $1000 for a 2 bedroom apt). This would be a huge cost savings compared to living anywhere relatively close to UCLA.  If you decide on “The U”, you should get on the waitlist asap.

https://housing.umn.edu/como-student-housing

I left MN almost two decades ago for the dream of living in Southern California. The weather has been amazing and there are tons of outdoor activities available all year.  One can hike in the dessert and ski in the mountains on the same day.  

However, this has come with huge financial and standard of living sacrifices.  Salaries are lower in Southern California (Sun Tax) and the cost of living is at least 50% higher than MN.  If you want to live close to UCLA, expect to pay a minimum of $2000 a month for a studio apartment.  You may be able to share a bedroom for a $1000.  You also could live further away from campus, but traffic is going to cost you at least a few hours a day to save a small amount on rent and your housing will be in a questionable area.  

The people in Southern California are all in hurry and have no regard for anyone else.  I actually have learned to appreciate this over the years, but Minnesota will be the complete opposite situation.  People do everything slower in MN.  Especially when driving or saying good bye to friends at a social function.  They also are much more friendly, at least on the outside.  Everyone will wave or say hi to each other, even if they are strangers, as they pass by each other in MN. Just note that this is more of a formality.  Most people in MN are actually very passive aggressive and pretend to be nice. In LA, you could get the police called on you for saying hi to a stranger. It is a big no no to talk to strangers during most social settings in SoCal.  However, if you get close to anyone they will be a true friend and loyal for life. 

My advice would be to attend “The U” if finances are going to be a major issue.  You will not be able to enjoy the weather and comforts of Southern California without a large bank account.  As another poster mentioned, there are tunnels connecting all of the building on campus.  You will rarely  need to be outside in the cold.  There are also great public transportation systems to get you to school, around campus, and the entire Twin Cities Area.  You will absolutely need a car to get anywhere in LA.  

With the money you save attending “The U”, you could afford to go on a trip during winter break to enjoy Southern California from the comfort of a nice hotel on the beach.

If money is not an issue, I would advise you to attend UCLA.  Southern California is awesome for those that can afford to live here.  I would say that you need a minimum of 50K a year to just get by while attending UCLA (Eating instant ramen and hot dogs while living in a horrible neighborhood far from campus). 60 to 70K a year would allow you live in a better neighborhood and eat at a restaurant once a week.  To have a one bedroom apartment within walking distance of campus and a car to visit all of the desirable places in SoCal, you will need a minimum of 100K a year.  

The U is as famous and respected as UCLA in academic and professional settings.  The Twin Cities and Southern California both have ample opportunities for Biostatisticians.  You will not lose a job opportunity because one of these schools is higher rated or is located in a better area for your field.  Both universities will help get you in the door for an interview, but obtaining the job will depend on your personality, accomplishments, and experience.

Congratulations on being accepted into two exceptional schools. Good luck on making your decision.

Edited by DachshundDad