How Necessary is Calculus (PhD)?

Hi all,

I am applying to Political Science PhDs next year and need to know if I need to take Calculus 1/2 over the summer. I have a very heavy applied statistics background (I conduct research in my spare time, write publications on, and work for people using Structural Equation Modeling, applied Bayesian methods (MCMC), causal inference techniques, econometrics (not calculus based), etc.). I use statistical methods on a daily basis and can also use two statistical software programs fluently (Stata and R). All of this will be evident in my application.

I noticed that many Political Science PhDs now have "Math Camps" and even full semester courses introducing students to Calculus. For clarity, I am not averse to taking Calculus (at all). I just need to know if it is necessary to do so before applying, otherwise I will try improving my application in other ways.

Thank you so much in advance.

Not necessary for most top programs, certainly helpful if you're aiming at quant "boutique" programs (NYU, Rochester, or the likes of CalTech and Stanford GSB). Probably not a lot of added value if you do well on the GRE Q section and have your recommenders emphasize your quant skills on their letters. Then again, it definitely wouldn't hurt to have a few As in Calculus in your transcript, so it depends on the opportunity cost of taking the classes.

18 hours ago, LatinAmericanFootball said:

Not necessary for most top programs, certainly helpful if you're aiming at quant "boutique" programs (NYU, Rochester, or the likes of CalTech and Stanford GSB). Probably not a lot of added value if you do well on the GRE Q section and have your recommenders emphasize your quant skills on their letters. Then again, it definitely wouldn't hurt to have a few As in Calculus in your transcript, so it depends on the opportunity cost of taking the classes.

Congrats on an amazing cycle!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 1:23 PM, LatinAmericanFootball said:

Tagging onto this; it's nice to have, but not necessary to get in. However, I'd say it's definitely good to know Calc 1/2 going into your math camp/first semester!