2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

My friend just got great news — a first acceptance, and into their top program (in a different field), so now I'm really gunning to hear something nice from the rest of my applications. I guess only time will tell, but I don't appreciate these schools that have let some people know things and left others with nothing. Spit it out already!!

19 minutes ago, dagreenkat said:

My friend just got great news — a first acceptance, and into their top program (in a different field), so now I'm really gunning to hear something nice from the rest of my applications. I guess only time will tell, but I don't appreciate these schools that have let some people know things and left others with nothing. Spit it out already!!

I feel this. The super staggered acceptances (especially for schools with tiny cohorts!) just feels so unnecessary and cruel. 

Hi everyone! If I have a small typo in my portfolio, would it be better to A. send a modest email to the school saying that I noticed this upon another read through and apologize or B. just hope they don't notice? It's not super noticeable but it's an obvious grammatical error ugh. I triple checked everything I don't know how I missed this one.

Hi all! I had a quick question - so I got into NYU MFA (fiction) with full funding, but I am not totally sure if I should take it or wait another year.

My reasoning is that 1) I didn't get into a ton of schools so it makes me nervous about my abilities / if I am too green or inexperienced for an MFA, 2) I applied to MFAs this 2023 cycle while a lot of personal stresses were happening and so wasn't able to really fully give it 200% effort / maybe if I try again next year I will be able to spend more time and do better and 3) I currently work at a pretty lucrative job and would need to quit and forgo building up my savings so I want to do it for the right program and experience that helps me grow and provides the best future opportunities. 

I realize that this is definitely a first world problem and I am not meaning to be entitled or rude with my question, I guess I am just nervous because I don't have any financial cushion other than my personal savings, I have no family to fall back on, and I am not like married etc so if I flounder it may be bad. I also did not study literature / arts in college so I don't have a lot of people from college to ask opinions of. The other side that I am considering is that: I love writing and know that my ideal life would be as a writer (whether that be my own work, or in the industry); though my current job is lucrative I don't like it, the hours are pretty rough / does not provide much time for writing; I might do worse with grad programs next year and then basically be wasting time. 

I guess to say that even with good news in hand, I can't stave away the nervousness! 

So, what are your thoughts on whether I should take the opportunity, and how I should be thinking about it? 

Thank you so much!!

1 minute ago, bananabread123 said:

Hi all! I had a quick question - so I got into NYU MFA (fiction) with full funding, but I am not totally sure if I should take it or wait another year.

My reasoning is that 1) I didn't get into a ton of schools so it makes me nervous about my abilities / if I am too green or inexperienced for an MFA, 2) I applied to MFAs this 2023 cycle while a lot of personal stresses were happening and so wasn't able to really fully give it 200% effort / maybe if I try again next year I will be able to spend more time and do better and 3) I currently work at a pretty lucrative job and would need to quit and forgo building up my savings so I want to do it for the right program and experience that helps me grow and provides the best future opportunities. 

I realize that this is definitely a first world problem and I am not meaning to be entitled or rude with my question, I guess I am just nervous because I don't have any financial cushion other than my personal savings, I have no family to fall back on, and I am not like married etc so if I flounder it may be bad. I also did not study literature / arts in college so I don't have a lot of people from college to ask opinions of. The other side that I am considering is that: I love writing and know that my ideal life would be as a writer (whether that be my own work, or in the industry); though my current job is lucrative I don't like it, the hours are pretty rough / does not provide much time for writing; I might do worse with grad programs next year and then basically be wasting time. 

I guess to say that even with good news in hand, I can't stave away the nervousness! 

So, what are your thoughts on whether I should take the opportunity, and how I should be thinking about it? 

Thank you so much!!

These programs are really hard to get into. If you got into any of them, your writing was “good enough” already. The same application another year could do much better or much worse. Personally I’d take the guaranteed admission.

1 hour ago, michelleee said:

Hi everyone! If I have a small typo in my portfolio, would it be better to A. send a modest email to the school saying that I noticed this upon another read through and apologize or B. just hope they don't notice? It's not super noticeable but it's an obvious grammatical error ugh. I triple checked everything I don't know how I missed this one.

Don’t bother. Nerves are normal, but this shouldn’t make or break you.

7 minutes ago, bananabread123 said:

I second dagreenkat--if you got in, then you're good enough.

The only thing you should ask yourself is whether or not you actually want to go to NYU

thank you @mosss and @dagreenkat - yes NYU and Cornell were my top choices of program (unpopular opinion but I didn't wanna move too far from NE area). Haven't heard back from Cornell yet but idk there... 

Do you guys have any experience with NYU / generally with MFA graduates after the program? Would love to hear your journeys too. 

Thank you :)

9 minutes ago, bananabread123 said:

Thank you so much!!

Congratulations!!! NYU is a great school and I think we all agree with @dagreenkat if you got in this app cycle, your writing is definitely "good enough", in fact it's probably great!

That said, no one can answer the question you pose but yourself. As you know, writing is demanding and often thankless work. There is no guarantee you'll get paid. There is no guarantee you'll be successful. But if you want to be a writer, this is your chance, and it may be the strongest one you ever get.

I know this is kind of intense advice, but I recommend really turning inward and making a firm decision. Will you put writing at the center of your life? If the answer is yes, go to NYU. Will you pursue a traditional career and financial stability? If yes, stay at your work, build your savings, and try again next year (with the knowledge that you might not get in again). Either way you choose, you'll be moving toward a great future. Congrats again!!!

1 hour ago, bananabread123 said:

Thank you so much!!

Fully funded from NYU!!! That's HARD. This whole process is a real crapshoot and I really would not presume that this is going to happen again if you were to apply next year. I agree with earlier opinions of people saying that the main question you should be asking is if you can see yourself at NYU. However, you just got handed a pretty wildly great hand–– not just academically but networking wise too. On a personal level, I'm in the same position as you with no family support and nothing but my savings–– so do know I say this next part understanding the fears every life decision brings with it–– I dunno, maybe I'm naive, but the idea of working a mind-numbing job for the end of my days because it provides me "security" sounds kind of like what I imagine hell to be like. From what it sounds like, you've been living your life without security as is and you've been doing a pretty fucking stellar job both career wise and creatively. Furthermore, is working the job you said you hate for the end of time really the clear "smart move?" No offense, but who says that's even secure? People get fired from their "safe choice" everyday! What's another leap of faith in a life full of 'em? Congrats! Either way, know you're a writer through and through, no matter what NYU–– or anyone for that matter–– says.

8 hours ago, michelleee said:

No, don't call attention to any defects in your application. Plus, they probably either didn't notice or noticed and don't care. I had an error in my writing sample and got accepted to one program and waitlisted at three

7 hours ago, bananabread123 said:

Thank you so much!!

It's ultimately up to you to decide, but I just want to share my own experience. I was accepted in 2020 to two fully funded programs, and I turned both of them down for another opportunity. I communicated my reasoning clearly and openly with the faculty, who seemed very accommodating and understanding and told me I'd most likely get in if I reapplied. I applied again two years later to one of those programs along with a handful of other top tier places, and I got rejections across the board. This year, I've been waitlisted at a few places and accepted to one, none of them being the programs that initially accepted me back in 2020. I really feel like MFA admissions are a lottery in the way they can be "once in a lifetime" opportunities that you can't necessarily guarantee will ever happen again. Your writing sample and the cohort they wanted to create plus the competition for the year along with whatever personal reasons afflicted the reader that day all aligned perfectly to be in your favor this time. How likely is that to happen again? omg not to sound doom and gloom, but I feel like I was so ignorant of how *hard* it is to get accepted when I first did in 2020 and assumed I would just get in again, which I didn't that first reapplication cycle, even with an objectively stronger writing sample and more work and life experience. Sometimes, you're dealt cards you'll never be dealt again, and I think that's an important thing to note!! Congrats on NYU, especially being completely funded! Your writing abilities are clearly up to par, so don't worry about that

1 hour ago, lanadelreystan said:

It's ultimately up to you to decide, but I just want to share my own experience. I was accepted in 2020 to two fully funded programs, and I turned both of them down for another opportunity. I communicated my reasoning clearly and openly with the faculty, who seemed very accommodating and understanding and told me I'd most likely get in if I reapplied. I applied again two years later to one of those programs along with a handful of other top tier places, and I got rejections across the board. This year, I've been waitlisted at a few places and accepted to one, none of them being the programs that initially accepted me back in 2020. I really feel like MFA admissions are a lottery in the way they can be "once in a lifetime" opportunities that you can't necessarily guarantee will ever happen again. Your writing sample and the cohort they wanted to create plus the competition for the year along with whatever personal reasons afflicted the reader that day all aligned perfectly to be in your favor this time. How likely is that to happen again? omg not to sound doom and gloom, but I feel like I was so ignorant of how *hard* it is to get accepted when I first did in 2020 and assumed I would just get in again, which I didn't that first reapplication cycle, even with an objectively stronger writing sample and more work and life experience. Sometimes, you're dealt cards you'll never be dealt again, and I think that's an important thing to note!! Congrats on NYU, especially being completely funded! Your writing abilities are clearly up to par, so don't worry about that

I don't know where all you've applied, but I envy whoever has the pleasure of completing an MFA with you in the room. You've been very pleasant and helpful on this forum throughout the crapshoot this process is, and I'm glad you've gotten a second chance at attending a program this round.

Edit: I'll be streaming A&W extra hard in your honor.

Edited by dagreenkat

2 hours ago, dagreenkat said:

I don't know where all you've applied, but I envy whoever has the pleasure of completing an MFA with you in the room. You've been very pleasant and helpful on this forum throughout the crapshoot this process is, and I'm glad you've gotten a second chance at attending a program this round.

Edit: I'll be streaming A&W extra hard in your honor.

omg this is literally so sweet thank you!!

Thank you all who have responded to my post above (The NYU funded offer decision post) - I really appreciate it. Also, to my other post above about NYU and Cornell being my top 2 places - I received an email this morning that I am waitlisted at Cornell on a "short wait list." Anyone else receive the same? Also, given Cornell is like 4 people how likely is it to get off waitlist?

58 minutes ago, loveujungkook said:

Congrats to all of the acceptances/waitlists, y'all are amazing!!!

I am seriously wondering about UVA at this point, has anyone heard anything about interviews or acceptances or anything?

No, and I really thought I would have heard by now given they made it sound like they wanted to conduct some interviews this year!

27 minutes ago, glutenfreegmo said:

Anyone know if University of Michigan fiction acceptances have already gone out?  

I think they have? Someone posted here on Wednesday about getting accepted. And someone else mentioned (on Tuesday I think?) that four people on Draft have shared fiction acceptances for Michigan. I don't know if Michigan has notified about waitlists yet.

1 hour ago, Catpaw said:

I think they have? Someone posted here on Wednesday about getting accepted. And someone else mentioned (on Tuesday I think?) that four people on Draft have shared fiction acceptances for Michigan. I don't know if Michigan has notified about waitlists yet.

Was this the school that gave poetry acceptances in two batches, first call and then others via email? Just holding out hope for an acceptance. Surely waitlists at least aren’t finalized or the rest of us would have gotten our rejections by now.

18 minutes ago, dagreenkat said:

Was this the school that gave poetry acceptances in two batches, first call and then others via email? Just holding out hope for an acceptance. Surely waitlists at least aren’t finalized or the rest of us would have gotten our rejections by now.

Yeah that's the one. Idk if it's copium to think that they aren't done with acceptances but I mean if poetry went out in batches maybe fiction is in batches too

I think I have made peace with the fact that the rest of my schools (4 more, who have all notified at least some acceptances) will be no's and I will end the season at 2a/7r. I think psychologically it is best for me to just cut loose from my expectations re: the other schools and plan as if they'll be rejections. This is the kind of mental gymnastics MFA notification season has brought me to.