2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

17 hours ago, 1badgloop said:

After 7 rejections and 2 waitlists, I woke up yesterday to an email notifying me that I'd gotten a spot at University of Minnesota. Totally unexpected--I had basically accepted that I would have to reapply, and was fine with doing so, and then all of a sudden I had 12 hours to decide if I'd be moving to Minneapolis in the fall. I said yes, and I couldn't be more thrilled! This whole app process has been a wild journey with lots of emotional ups and downs, but I'm really glad I went for it. Excited to meet the rest of the cohort (and if that's any of you, please hit me up, would love to connect)!

Congrats! I'm finishing my Undergrad there currently. It's a great program, and I've worked with several of the professors in the Creative Writing Department. Minneapolis is a great place for writers. The Loft Literary Center, Downtown on Washington Ave, will be a place you want to check out. Happy writing! 😃 

On 4/14/2023 at 10:21 PM, dagreenkat said:

Aaaaaaaand guess who got off of the waitlist?! I’m having INTENSE emotional whiplash right now guys. April 14 and the process is finally over. 8 applications turned into 7 rejections and 1 waitlist turned acceptance. Wow. 

Anyone reading this in future years just know that the process isn’t over until it’s over! Straight out of undergrad. I’m speechless. I’m going to grad school!!

Accepted my offer immediately so anyone still on the fiction waitlist should hear soon if I kicked you off. Hope you still have a shot ❤️ and anyone else going to UofSC reach out! I’m excited to meet you

Congratulations! I am an international applicant and also on the waitlist at UofSC. I haven't heard back from UofSC yet. Are there any other people who have declined admission offer? Fingers crossed. 

28 minutes ago, Qutie said:

Congratulations! I am an international applicant and also on the waitlist at UofSC. I haven't heard back from UofSC yet. Are there any other people who have declined admission offer? Fingers crossed. 

You can email the contact that let you know of your waitlist for an update, but don’t expect to hear much of anything until you have a final offer. I’ve no idea how many spots have been committed / not.

13 hours ago, dagreenkat said:

You can email the contact that let you know of your waitlist for an update, but don’t expect to hear much of anything until you have a final offer. I’ve no idea how many spots have been committed / not.

Thanks, I have emailed them. I should start manifesting this like you did, maybe then I'd have a chance. 😄

• 3 weeks later...

(don't know if anyone's still checking this forum but F it I'm excited lol)

I'm going to GCSU this fall! Bit of a shitshow waiting until MAY to find out, but after three years of applying I'll take it lol

(also UTK still hasn't contacted me...they told me a week ago they were still figuring out their last spot and that I was "very high" on the waitlist but that's whatever now, I've got GCSU :p)

This forum's been great and I just wanted to put one last Happy Thing out there:)

hope those of y'all starting MFAs this year have an easy transition into the next chapter of your life, and I hope those of y'all planning on applying again next year keep your heads up. if you want it enough, and keep working to improve each year, you'll get in. It just might take longer than you thought

17 hours ago, mosss said:

(don't know if anyone's still checking this forum but F it I'm excited lol)

I'm going to GCSU this fall! Bit of a shitshow waiting until MAY to find out, but after three years of applying I'll take it lol

Congrats!! I haven't heard of the program before, but I checked out their website, and it looks great! Seems like they have a lot of unique professional opportunities.

Hearty congrats to everyone who got accepted this year (+ everyone who made it through app season alive). My MFA journey is officially coming to an end this month :')

It's been an insanely valuable, exciting, and stressful 3 years. I'm happy to field questions from anyone who wants my two cents on MFA life and how to make the most of it.

Hi, not sure if anyone is still on here? Would love opinions on my situation...which is basically that I already accepted at NYU for Fiction (4/15 response deadline for most programs)--full ride, $18k stipend, already live in NYC so was feeling pretty iffy about being able to unplug from my life + cost of living.

Then, I get a random call last week from Syracuse. Someone dropped their program last minute and they offered me the spot. Of course, it was highly unexpected--I thought everything was squared away because 4/15 was the deadline. I was also rejected from Syracuse with a generic form email, not even waitlisted. Never thought about it again. Their program is, of course, completely different--3 years, major teaching commitment, in Syracuse, NY, way smaller cohort. Everyone is so friendly, George Saunders even got on the phone with me.

Anyways, would love any opinions. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Would I get blacklisted for dropping NYU? Do folks have opinions on which program is better? 

On 5/10/2023 at 2:19 PM, shhhh said:

[...]

Anyways, would love any opinions. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Would I get blacklisted for dropping NYU? Do folks have opinions on which program is better? 

Congrats on getting funded by two strong programs! It does happen that people drop out last minute. I think you may have to pay some fees if you already committed to NYU, but at the end of the day, they can't stop you from withdrawing. You may burn those professional bridges, but honestly I think you can get around it as long as you're not planning to, like, apply for jobs at NYU. Just be polite if you turn down their offer.

While I wouldn't call one program objectively better, here are the pros of each option in my mind:

Pro-Syracuse: From reading thru these forums, NYU seems to accept a lot of unfunded/minimally-funded students. Those unfunded students will be in your workshops, and their work will tend to be lower quality. I attended a program that doesn't fund everyone, and there's a palpable divide in quality/work ethic between funded and unfunded students. George Saunders is George Saunders. I read A Swim in the Pond in the Rain and wanted desperately to take his Russian literature course. The stipend is about the same as NYU, and it will go much farther, obviously. Also, the extra year makes a BIG difference. I went to a 3 year program and cannot imagine trying to develop a thesis in only 2 years.

Pro-NYU: I can tell you from experience that teaching takes A LOT of time away from writing. I can't seem to find info on Syracuse's teaching load, but FYI: 2:2 (two classes per semester) is high, and 1:2 or 2:1 is standard. Easy access to the NYC literary scene is a plus. A bigger program offers more aesthetic variety in the cohort, and you can easily carve out a creative niche for yourself.

Based on this, you can see I'd lean towards Syracuse. Hope that helps!

Hi, I don't know if anyone is here any longer, just taking my chances. I am on two waitlists but it is already past mid-May, does it make sense to pin my hopes on them at this point? I've written to one of the two univs a couple of times to check on my status, but they haven't replied to my emails even though they assured me that they would be willing to answer my questions. I know that it is very likely a rejection but I would at least like a clear notification of it. Writing in here to see if anyone else is still waiting or if someone can give me an insight into waitlist experiences..

6 hours ago, greyskies said:

Hi, I don't know if anyone is here any longer, just taking my chances. I am on two waitlists but it is already past mid-May, does it make sense to pin my hopes on them at this point? I've written to one of the two univs a couple of times to check on my status, but they haven't replied to my emails even though they assured me that they would be willing to answer my questions. I know that it is very likely a rejection but I would at least like a clear notification of it. Writing in here to see if anyone else is still waiting or if someone can give me an insight into waitlist experiences..

It's possible you'll hear from them well into the summer; there are always a few people on the results page who get notifications in June or July. However, I would focus on making other plans at this stage. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but fwiw the waitlists mean your work is strong!

12 hours ago, feralgrad said:

It's possible you'll hear from them well into the summer; there are always a few people on the results page who get notifications in June or July. However, I would focus on making other plans at this stage. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but fwiw the waitlists mean your work is strong!

Thanks, I am onto making other plans, would have liked a little clarity but I have no control over that. Yes the waitlists did assure that I am working in the right direction, that a consolation for now. 

21 hours ago, greyskies said:

I must say you are not alone. I was waitlisted since Feb, and still waiting. I sent two emails this week, one to the program coordinator and one to the program director, no reply. I tried to tell myself this is it, but I know I wouldn't let it go until anything official arrives. Big hug.

2 hours ago, Cons said:

I must say you are not alone. I was waitlisted since Feb, and still waiting. I sent two emails this week, one to the program coordinator and one to the program director, no reply. I tried to tell myself this is it, but I know I wouldn't let it go until anything official arrives. Big hug.

Thank you for the hug, it helps to know that I am not alone, are you also an international student?

19 minutes ago, greyskies said:

Thank you for the hug, it helps to know that I am not alone, are you also an international student?

Yeeees! Guess my location tells you😆

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just received an accepted students email about housing and class registration from Rutgers Camden (my application was denied in April). I am very confused. Did anyone else get it? I am assuming it was accidentally sent to me or something. 

Hi, is anyone still there? Is there an updated forum for next intake applications? I was hoping someone could tell me if there any any circumstances in which Columbia fiction writers have received miraculously good funding that make their program doable? Not sure whether to consider that as a potential school as if I got in then couldn’t find funding I’d be devastated!