2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

I see I'm arriving to this forum a little late but the radio silence is killing me. So far:
ACCEPTANCES: Emerson, Sarah Lawrence, Texas Tech
REJECTIONS: Oregon State, Pitt, Amherst
WAITLIST: Tennessee, NYU
I'm still waiting to hear back from Ole Miss and Notre Dame and I didn't know whether or not they'd reached out to any of you folks yet. I wish you all the best of luck in these coming weeks and please let me know!

hey all, another "just found this forum" here. 

i decided to apply pretty late in the season and only submitted one app (to UWyo, fiction) the week of the due date. (i do not recommend this approach, lol.)

i haven't heard anything back yet, despite a gentle email inquiry, so i'm assuming it's a no. which is fine—i'd like to shoot my shot at a couple pie in the sky programs next year, anyway, just to say i tried. 

congrats to everybody, regardless of results!! 

uh this might seem silly but I'm so uncomfortable delivering sub optimal news... So does anyone have suggestion on how to word an email declining a school's offer? 

And for etiquite reasons, if the school has had two contact points with me (director of CW program and a program/admissions staff) is it best I email them both?

On 3/12/2023 at 1:03 PM, ArthurDentJr said:

I've now received CNF decisions on all of my schools: UPittsburgh, UMinnesota, UIowa, Louisiana State, and UArizona were all rejections...But! I was accepted at Ohio State (my top preference)! I am very excited. To everyone who is waiting on waitlists or a laundry list of rejections, just know that this was my third year of applying to schools and I received nothing but rejections my first two application cycles (not even a waitlist). Don't give up!

Also, if you've had a run of bad luck thus far, consider changing genres and looking at schools that embrace developing your talents outside that concentration. I submitted in fiction my first two years, but my professors convinced me to apply in CNF this year. It's not my favorite genre, but Ohio State has made it very clear that they encourage their students to take courses in whatever areas they like (many of the students are blending forms anyway). Lots of schools encourage this experimentation.

I hope as many of you stick with this ambition as is possible. Keep putting yourselves out there because fielding countless rejections is an inevitable part of the writer's life. I'm glad I wasn't accepted till now: I'm almost 32 and these delays have given me lots of time to hone my craft, gain life experience, develop discipline, and figure out what I really want to do with my education so that I don't waste it. Don't stop believing in yourself just because a handful of folks who read a small sample of your work didn't immediately glean your potential. And good luck!

Congratulations! You will probably work with Elissa Washuta. She is phenomenal! Also, to your point on changing genres: I whole heartedly agree. Plus, Cross-genre & dual genre are getting more popular in MFA programs. Best of luck at Ohio State!

On 3/20/2023 at 9:30 AM, lanadelreystan said:

A PhD in creative writing! Can you speak more to that? I'm not familiar with it and thought the master was the terminal degree? (Congrats on the acceptance!!)

Hey There!

So it's really a PhD in English with a Creative Writing focus. You get to complete a creative dissertation with a critical element. Basically the PhD is a hybrid of creative writing, literature, and sometimes composition. It's becoming more popular to attain a PhD after your MFA, but I wanted to do it because I loved it. You can find out more reading this book: https://www.amazon.com/Insiders-Graduate-Degrees-Creative-Writing-ebook/dp/B07CGXY5DM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=guide+to+graduate+degrees+in+creative+writing&qid=1679663190&sr=8-1

On 3/24/2023 at 2:06 PM, lenagator1997 said:

Hey There!

So it's really a PhD in English with a Creative Writing focus. You get to complete a creative dissertation with a critical element. Basically the PhD is a hybrid of creative writing, literature, and sometimes composition. It's becoming more popular to attain a PhD after your MFA, but I wanted to do it because I loved it. You can find out more reading this book: https://www.amazon.com/Insiders-Graduate-Degrees-Creative-Writing-ebook/dp/B07CGXY5DM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=guide+to+graduate+degrees+in+creative+writing&qid=1679663190&sr=8-1

Thank you so much! And I just want to inform everyone that lana del Rey’s new album just released, so go buy “did you know that there’s a tunnel under ocean boulevard” ❤️😎💅 love it, my personal fave song from the album is paris, Texas. Anyone else been listening? 

Does anyone know why it takes so long to get a rejection letter? Idk I applied to NYU in December and I know some waitlists and acceptances have gone out so I'm like...ok just reject me at this point lmao but same for other schools. Obvi I'm not loving rejection, but just to be able to close the chapter would be nice lol

6 hours ago, ao_3 said:

Does anyone know why it takes so long to get a rejection letter? Idk I applied to NYU in December and I know some waitlists and acceptances have gone out so I'm like...ok just reject me at this point lmao but same for other schools. Obvi I'm not loving rejection, but just to be able to close the chapter would be nice lol

I wrote to the creative writing department (NYU). They wrote back saying that they are aiming to send out all decisions this week. Hope this helps. Even I am still waiting for any news.

On 3/23/2023 at 12:48 PM, kamryn.pitcher said:

I see I'm arriving to this forum a little late but the radio silence is killing me. So far:
ACCEPTANCES: Emerson, Sarah Lawrence, Texas Tech
REJECTIONS: Oregon State, Pitt, Amherst
WAITLIST: Tennessee, NYU
I'm still waiting to hear back from Ole Miss and Notre Dame and I didn't know whether or not they'd reached out to any of you folks yet. I wish you all the best of luck in these coming weeks and please let me know!

Not sure what genre you’re in, but I’m a poetry applicant at Ole Miss and the visiting period for prospective attendees is this coming weekend. I’d suspect they’ve already notified their acceptances.

4 hours ago, poetryplus said:

Not sure what genre you’re in, but I’m a poetry applicant at Ole Miss and the visiting period for prospective attendees is this coming weekend. I’d suspect they’ve already notified their acceptances.

Hi! I made it to Phase 2 (fiction) for Ole Miss but haven't heard anything since...do you mind me asking when you heard back? Assuming, as they're doing an accepted students weekend and I haven't heard that I am...not among the accepted students, lol, tho maybe they're staggering fiction / poetry? (copium)

I got accepted with funding to WKU, but I'm waiting to accept their offer until I've heard back from Ole' Miss. Wanna keep my options open. 

Congrats on your acceptance to Mississippi!!

1 minute ago, bmilly said:

Hi! I made it to Phase 2 (fiction) for Ole Miss but haven't heard anything since...do you mind me asking when you heard back? Assuming, as they're doing an accepted students weekend and I haven't heard that I am...not among the accepted students, lol, tho maybe they're staggering fiction / poetry? (copium)

I got accepted with funding to WKU, but I'm waiting to accept their offer until I've heard back from Ole' Miss. Wanna keep my options open. 

Congrats on your acceptance to Mississippi!!

Heard back March 5th. 

Hey Guys... it looks like I'm going to be submitting my deposit for Binghamton University!

Good luck to whomever is still waiting and congrats to all who got into their MFA programs! I only have 2 more months until graduation and then PhD! 💚

6 hours ago, zapzapzap said:

Hey all,

I'm still waiting for a decision for NYU Fiction. Does it being this late definitely mean that it is a rejection? Any help will be appreciated!

You could be on a waitlist, but based on what I've heard about NYU, if you received an offer it would likely be unfunded. Sorry to say so :(

3 hours ago, feralgrad said:

You could be on a waitlist, but based on what I've heard about NYU, if you received an offer it would likely be unfunded. Sorry to say so :(

Thank you for responding. A little miffed that it has taken so long; feel stuck with this uncertainty about my future.

2 hours ago, Xochi said:

Hi, hello!

I just got off one of the waitlists I'd been on last week, and I was notified by phone. Two members of the admissions committee called me, but I haven't received an email yet. Is this typical? When should I reach out?

Congrats! If you have specific questions about the program/want to request to talk with current students, I would reach out ASAP. Better to get all the information you need sooner so you can make a decision before April 15!

RE: UC Irvine - sorry to all of us who've been waiting!

Admissions Timeline

All offers of admission will be made by March 25.  These candidates must accept or decline their offer and financial support package no later than April 15.
Candidates who have been placed on a wait list will also be notified by April 1, and offered admission and support as places become available.
Applicants who have not been notified of admission or placement on the wait list by April 2, should assume they will not be offered admission. Because of the high number of applications and limited staff, it is not possible to send out denial notifications until late spring. Applicants who wish to confirm their application status sooner, may contact the Programs in Writing after April 16.

2 hours ago, TitiMePregunto said:

RE: UC Irvine - sorry to all of us who've been waiting!

Admissions Timeline

All offers of admission will be made by March 25.  These candidates must accept or decline their offer and financial support package no later than April 15.
Candidates who have been placed on a wait list will also be notified by April 1, and offered admission and support as places become available.
Applicants who have not been notified of admission or placement on the wait list by April 2, should assume they will not be offered admission. Because of the high number of applications and limited staff, it is not possible to send out denial notifications until late spring. Applicants who wish to confirm their application status sooner, may contact the Programs in Writing after April 16.

yeahhhh bummer. looks like they did send out rejections around now the past couple of years. doesn't seem that hard to do, rather than just leave people hanging lol. oh well!