2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

1 hour ago, 1badgloop said:

I'm in a similar situation - on 2 waitlists with no acceptances yet and probably none coming. It's way tougher than I expected. I went into the application process with what I thought was a healthy mindset, and I've tried my best to keep hold of that throughout, but I've still been really rattled.

Something that's sort of helping is just to remember that setbacks are an inevitable part of the writing process, and that literally all of the writers I admire had to hear "no" many, many times before they ever found success. What I'm experiencing now isn't a temporary detour from the path to literary achievement - it is the path itself. There are no shortcuts or hacks to make it any easier. There's no way to avoid it. If I wasn't getting rejected during this particular application cycle, I'd certainly be getting rejected from something else at some point in the future. The only way to deal with it is just to keep writing. Easier said than done, of course, but it is a bit of comfort to me.

I am dealing with this: 0 acceptances and 1 waitlist. I’m really aggressively hoping to get in off that list. Honestly I’m waiting for Brown moreso to be done hearing back than out of any hope for an acceptance. My current goal is for enough schools to notify that people start committing or rejecting my waitlist uni and I can finally plan the rest of this year.

12 minutes ago, dagreenkat said:

I am dealing with this: 0 acceptances and 1 waitlist. I’m really aggressively hoping to get in off that list. Honestly I’m waiting for Brown moreso to be done hearing back than out of any hope for an acceptance. My current goal is for enough schools to notify that people start committing or rejecting my waitlist uni and I can finally plan the rest of this year.

That's the worst part of this I think! Not being able to know what the rest of the year will look like. I have one rejection and am still waiting to hear from three schools, all of which do staggered notifications. The uncertainty is worse than the possible rejection for sure. Any of us who get rejections will all bounce back!

Edited by maz

On 3/10/2023 at 1:06 PM, KRUI said:

Has anyone heard anything from Rutgers about their fiction results? Saw people talk about the Camden location, but not Newark. 

I had an interview with them last Wednesday and saw some reported acceptances on Draft on Friday. Nothing about a waitlist though and no rejections yet. 

19 hours ago, 1badgloop said:

I'm in a similar situation - on 2 waitlists with no acceptances yet and probably none coming. It's way tougher than I expected. I went into the application process with what I thought was a healthy mindset, and I've tried my best to keep hold of that throughout, but I've still been really rattled.

Something that's sort of helping is just to remember that setbacks are an inevitable part of the writing process, and that literally all of the writers I admire had to hear "no" many, many times before they ever found success. What I'm experiencing now isn't a temporary detour from the path to literary achievement - it is the path itself. There are no shortcuts or hacks to make it any easier. There's no way to avoid it. If I wasn't getting rejected during this particular application cycle, I'd certainly be getting rejected from something else at some point in the future. The only way to deal with it is just to keep writing. Easier said than done, of course, but it is a bit of comfort to me.

I'm also in the same place. Still waiting on 2, but other than that it's just one waitlist and all rejections. It's definitely been tough, especially as the waiting game has just been extended... 

1 hour ago, earthpoet said:

I'm also in the same place. Still waiting on 2, but other than that it's just one waitlist and all rejections. It's definitely been tough, especially as the waiting game has just been extended... 

Yup, in the same situation of waitlisted in 2 and rejections incoming :( it's awful to wait

I've now received CNF decisions on all of my schools: UPittsburgh, UMinnesota, UIowa, Louisiana State, and UArizona were all rejections...But! I was accepted at Ohio State (my top preference)! I am very excited. To everyone who is waiting on waitlists or a laundry list of rejections, just know that this was my third year of applying to schools and I received nothing but rejections my first two application cycles (not even a waitlist). Don't give up!

Also, if you've had a run of bad luck thus far, consider changing genres and looking at schools that embrace developing your talents outside that concentration. I submitted in fiction my first two years, but my professors convinced me to apply in CNF this year. It's not my favorite genre, but Ohio State has made it very clear that they encourage their students to take courses in whatever areas they like (many of the students are blending forms anyway). Lots of schools encourage this experimentation.

I hope as many of you stick with this ambition as is possible. Keep putting yourselves out there because fielding countless rejections is an inevitable part of the writer's life. I'm glad I wasn't accepted till now: I'm almost 32 and these delays have given me lots of time to hone my craft, gain life experience, develop discipline, and figure out what I really want to do with my education so that I don't waste it. Don't stop believing in yourself just because a handful of folks who read a small sample of your work didn't immediately glean your potential. And good luck!

Edited by ArthurDentJr

Hey! I was wondering if anyone from fiction has heard from Brown, Iowa, Boise State, Notre Dame, U of Florida, or UT Austin New writer's project (I got a rejection from Micheners but no word from NWP). I'm still waiting on them and feel like I'm losing my mind!

12 minutes ago, rayfelix said:

Hey! I was wondering if anyone from fiction has heard from Brown, Iowa, Boise State, Notre Dame, U of Florida, or UT Austin New writer's project (I got a rejection from Micheners but no word from NWP). I'm still waiting on them and feel like I'm losing my mind!

I think a lot of writers on here have received rejections from Iowa in the mail. I still have not heard from them or anyone else on your list. 

15 minutes ago, rayfelix said:

I was told I was on the waitlist for Boise State around mid-February.

2 questions: 

1) How long does it usually take to get an offer letter after hearing about your acceptance from a school? I got into Stony Brook about 10 days ago, and I still haven't heard anything from them. I'm getting a little antsy waiting to hear about funding, as that will pretty much make or break whether or not I consider going there. Is it weird/bad to email them and ask what's up? 

2) I asked on the draft, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here as well. What are some non-obvious questions to ask professors/current students during a campus visit? I'm visiting my first choice, and I already know a lot about the logistics of the program (funding, health insurance, teaching load, etc), but I'm nervous there are aspects to grad school life I don't know about yet since I haven't experienced it. 

4 hours ago, rayfelix said:

I received my Iowa rejection in the mail (I think it was postmarked 3/3 or something like that) & I was notified of my Notre Dame acceptance a couple of weeks ago post-interview.

44 minutes ago, TitiMePregunto said:

Another confirmed acceptance to UC Riverside (UCR) on Draft, in case anyone is wondering! I can't deal with this waiting!

Gahhhh ! Fingers crossed for both of us

Hi all, and good luck to everyone still waiting. I was lucky enough to get offers from FIU and McNeese State over the last few days (by email), and while I’m extremely grateful for and interested in both offers, I’m not ready to commit to either. Any advice on how to say that? Is it fine to say it that bluntly? I just don’t want to deflate the excitement of the acceptances.

Also, has anyone else been accepted to either of these programs? Does anyone have any notes about either program?

18 minutes ago, crosie said:

I know you already committed to Iowa but low key that sounds like a good sign from Brown for you! 

Haha i think there was just an issue with the one I submitted. I've already accepted my offer from Iowa so anything else at this point is just vanity

17 minutes ago, Nicolas M. said:

Haha i think there was just an issue with the one I submitted. I've already accepted my offer from Iowa so anything else at this point is just vanity

Lol yeah I feel that. I know I’m probably going to end up at Michigan regardless but my ego is still obsessively waiting for Brown :’)

hi all, congratulations to everyone on this cycle—i hope it has brought, or will soon bring, good things! i write fiction and am trying to make a decision between the university of michigan and iowa—does anybody have any insight on these programs, how they compare culturally, academically, etc.? thanks in advance and take care!