2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

2 hours ago, CheezWhiz said:

Snail mail rejection Iowa Fiction March 8. Heads up for all applicants never, ever, to go to their mailbox again. Not true if you don't see it

0a/2w/4r/1p

Sorry to hear this! I hope you're taking care of yourself in light of this news! 

Would you mind sharing when the letter was dated? Trying to prepare for when I might get something in the mail. 

I will preface this by saying I am NOT A POET--but...

I know a lot of us have been searching for sources of Joy. I have been listening to a podcast called Close Readings. Each episode, the host and a guest go over a poem and discuss it for an hour. I have found it so generative, peaceful, inspirational. It's been a huge gift right now! You should check it out! 

Just joined this forum, since my only app this year was the Stegner, but also know you all will be the only ones who understand the ANGST of waiting on what I’m sure is a rejection! My Twitter/GradCafe sleuthing shows that, for the last few years, rejections go out (or show up in the portal) 1-2 days after acceptances — and I know acceptances started on Monday!! The Angst! So much angst!

3 hours ago, dagreenkat said:

my false hope is SKYROCKETING to unsafe levels. I’ve heard nothing for fiction

retweet dude. wtf. this is my first time applying but it's pretty standard for rejections to come out after acceptances, right?

5 hours ago, Nightmaric said:

Sorry to hear this! I hope you're taking care of yourself in light of this news! 

Would you mind sharing when the letter was dated? Trying to prepare for when I might get something in the mail. 

sorry, I think I threw it away already. I'm chicago-area, so it was probably send out on March 6

On 3/7/2023 at 2:13 PM, maz said:

Hi! I am also still waiting on UC Irvine and Boston (and UC Riverside). From what I understand, these three schools all have a history of being a little more staggered for notifications, since I think they don't explicitly notify waitlisted applicants but kind of see how things shape up as they give out acceptances. The waiting is so tough!

Hey there! I am waiting for UCI too. The UCI site says all decisions will go out by March 25, with no known acceptances to date. A website called "Ask Ms. Sun" says past years there were acceptances sent out through the applicant portal on March 17. I have some contacts in the current grad program who say you'll get a personal call if you're accepted, but I'm not sure if that's true. Still, if you haven't received any notification by March 25th, it's probably a no. My note to myself is to try like hell to relax until the 17th. I REALLY know it's hard to wait.

Edited by anygivenday

4 hours ago, catwrites said:

Just joined this forum, since my only app this year was the Stegner, but also know you all will be the only ones who understand the ANGST of waiting on what I’m sure is a rejection! My Twitter/GradCafe sleuthing shows that, for the last few years, rejections go out (or show up in the portal) 1-2 days after acceptances — and I know acceptances started on Monday!! The Angst! So much angst!

Have you heard from anywhere else about acceptances (apart from that solo post on gradcafe saying they were accepted on March 7)?  I was really hoping that that was a troll post because if they've sent out acceptances already why would they not just reject us?  Or have they forgotten all about us? :(

53 minutes ago, GreenTea'd said:

Have you heard from anywhere else about acceptances (apart from that solo post on gradcafe saying they were accepted on March 7)?  I was really hoping that that was a troll post because if they've sent out acceptances already why would they not just reject us?  Or have they forgotten all about us? :(

Someone in Draft reported that a friend got a call! But I guess that is all kind of a game of telephone LOL I am also trying to tell myself that it’s AWP, so maybe folks who would make the calls are traveling? 

For Brown fiction applicants:

I took a look through Brown’s pattern of notifying as far as gradcafe has reliable info for. It looks like both programs have notified on the same day for many years in a row… until 2021. Then and 2022 both notified over a week apart. So we might be waiting quite a while yet. 

Let me know if you have better/more updated information! I just want this process over *sobs*

10 hours ago, dagreenkat said:

For Brown fiction applicants:

I took a look through Brown’s pattern of notifying as far as gradcafe has reliable info for. It looks like both programs have notified on the same day for many years in a row… until 2021. Then and 2022 both notified over a week apart. So we might be waiting quite a while yet. 

Let me know if you have better/more updated information! I just want this process over *sobs*

Hello!

I know that last year I was waitlisted for fiction at Brown on March 9th. I don't know when they notified poetry but we are certainly right around when fiction was notified last year.