2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

Longtime lurker/first-time poster. Congrats to everyone who has been waitlisted or accepted!! It's so exciting to see everyone's good news. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to deal w this stressful time. Are you guys trying to stay off the forums/draft? I haven't heard anything back yet (although I assume it is a no from JH and UO since acceptances and waitlist notifications have come out), and I'm SO STRESSED. I just want to hear something, even if it's a rejection. I'm usually such a calm person. I'm coming from years of submitting my stories to magazines and working in the film industry, so I'm used to rejection. But for some reason, this side of the application process is really causing me to flip. 

9 minutes ago, ach1024 said:

Longtime lurker/first-time poster. Congrats to everyone who has been waitlisted or accepted!! It's so exciting to see everyone's good news. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to deal w this stressful time. Are you guys trying to stay off the forums/draft? I haven't heard anything back yet (although I assume it is a no from JH and UO since acceptances and waitlist notifications have come out), and I'm SO STRESSED. I just want to hear something, even if it's a rejection. I'm usually such a calm person. I'm coming from years of submitting my stories to magazines and working in the film industry, so I'm used to rejection. But for some reason, this side of the application process is really causing me to flip. 

Welcome!! Fellow film industry escapee here... 

The last couple of weeks have been incredibly stressful for me; it got to the point where I was waking up multiple times every night from anxiety. The most helpful thing that I have done for myself is LEAVING DRAFT. I know for some people Draft is a really helpful community, but for me it just made me feel constantly on edge because my brain was always on alert, preparing for news. I think the nature of my anxiety is such that the constant trickle of new information via Draft, forums, etc. only feeds the anxiety — the best thing is to just remove those sources of information (which, frankly, are not that relevant to me! All the information I need will be delivered to my inbox in due time) and try and distract my brain with other things. 

6 hours ago, lanadelreystan said:

I can't find any updated info on this and wanted to ask: what are the top fully funded MFA in CW programs right now? We all know the IWW for fiction and poetry is considered number one, with Michener and Michigan following very closely after. Which programs follow those top few? Which programs are typically considered prestigious in today's literary landscape? Prestige as in you say you went there, and publishers/agents/lit mag editors are like "We want to read YOUR work" and move it to the top of the pile? Super interested in knowing people's opinion and insider knowledge on this!!

Try watching these. He reads for Michener fiction. https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRt9x9Pf/

oops I meant to reply to your other post about the application process. 

Edited by Leeannitha

48 minutes ago, ach1024 said:

I also haven’t heard anything back yet and I applied to 7 places ?I know one rejection is coming but haven’t actually got it yet it’s driving me insane

I’m curious: For those of you who are applying again or some time after college, who did you get your recommendations from? It’s my first time applying for MFAs and I asked my favorite professors, but I feel like it’d get awkward asking after years pass, or after several failed attempts. I don’t currently plan to reapply if I don’t get in (sign from the universe or whatnot) but if I change my mind down the line it’d be helpful to know!

A classic MFA message board lurker that just found this forum type deal... Got an acceptance from Iowa fic and a waitlist from Pitt poetry. Don't have family to tell this to so sorry if I come off as bragging, more just feel a little hollow in the excitement and wanted to share with some, any folks... Anyone got any news from Iowa poetry and/or Brown? Not quite sure how this place works so apologies if it's already been discussed!

Edited by ACPF

18 minutes ago, ACPF said:

A classic MFA message board lurker that just found this forum type deal... Got an acceptance from Iowa fic and a waitlist from Pitt poetry. Don't have family to tell this to so sorry if I come off as bragging, more just feel a little hollow in the excitement and wanted to share with some, any folks... Anyone got any news from Iowa poetry and/or Brown? Not quite sure how this place works so apologies if it's already been discussed!

You should definitely share good news here!!! Congrats that is a major accomplishment and shows they have real faith in your talent as a writer. Celebrate!! If you don’t have anyone around you that gets it, I will cheer you on from here. ???

(and no I have not heard for Iowa poetry) 

24 minutes ago, dagreenkat said:

I’m curious: For those of you who are applying again or some time after college, who did you get your recommendations from? It’s my first time applying for MFAs and I asked my favorite professors, but I feel like it’d get awkward asking after years pass, or after several failed attempts. I don’t currently plan to reapply if I don’t get in (sign from the universe or whatnot) but if I change my mind down the line it’d be helpful to know!

I used old professors (who themselves said it had taken a couple of times applying to get in) and a coworker. I think most programs use letters of rec in the last stages of decision making. Anyone that can speak to your temperament and work ethic would be okay if you don’t have a professor available. Also, mine used the same letter as the first time I applied so it most likely won’t be a bother to ask them again. I think they understand how these things work. 

6 minutes ago, dagreenkat said:

It's both my second time applying and I'm a few years out of undergrad (2016) so I can tell you for sure that you have nothing to worry about. Most professors view writing letters of recommendation, correctly, as a part of their job/part of belonging to academia—plus, once they've already written one for you, they can just keep using the same one. Both times I applied, I got letters from a professor who was my undergrad thesis advisor (not creative writing or english, by the way—plus she retired between my first and second apps and was still willing to submit my letters), a writing teacher I took a class with after college (two different ones each time), and, the one that probably won't apply to you, a former co-worker of mine who I did creative work with (what's up, fellow film and TV workers) who also taught me in a sketch writing class and now is a successful TV writer. People usually want to help, especially if you're not a jerk, so don't be afraid to ask! 

It is also my first time applying for MFA programs (graduated Spring '22), and I don't have high hopes for acceptances this fall (which I have made peace with haha, went into the whole process a tad bit unprepared and ended up only applying to 3 fully funded programs) so I was looking to get some words of advice for when I apply next cycle. I was wondering which programs typically do interviews during the admissions process. Both so I can have a future idea as to how to gauge my chances, as well as to mentally prepare myself for interviews as a whole. Particularly out of these programs: Syracuse, Brown, Arizona UT-Austin, UVA, University of Montana, Boise, Bowling Green State. Phew, that's a lot, haha. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. I have already learned so much browsing this forum! If anyone here is an admin on the Draft page please let me in <333 Good luck to everyone, and congratulations and those who have received good news already! 

2 hours ago, ACPF said:

Congratulations! Those are both big accomplishments. With or without family to share the news with, I hope you are taking time to celebrate and do something nice for yourself! :)

Would you mind sharing when you heard about your Iowa fiction acceptance and if you have a sense of whether all acceptances have gone out? 

3 hours ago, ACPF said:

Nothing from Brown. If you hear good news from them, ask if they can transfer it to yours truly :
I wasn't able to afford it for undergrad so it's basically an immediate commitment from me if they take me. 

Hi everyone! I just got an email telling me I “advanced to finalist status” for Notre Dame (!) and that they want to talk to me over Zoom to “get to know (me) better”. This means I haven’t been accepted, right? But I’m close? So either acceptance or waitlist? I didn’t even realize this was something Notre Dame did…

6 minutes ago, stannecarson said:

Hi everyone! I just got an email telling me I “advanced to finalist status” for Notre Dame (!) and that they want to talk to me over Zoom to “get to know (me) better”. This means I haven’t been accepted, right? But I’m close? So either acceptance or waitlist? I didn’t even realize this was something Notre Dame did…

That is so slay but also not a fan of how they're conducting this as a job interview process?? That's so weird, especially when you submitted a complete application in the fall and don't need this stress. This sounds like you're definitely on the way for an acceptance, though! Maybe they'll even accept you on the call ?

24 minutes ago, stannecarson said:

Sounds like they want to conduct interviews without actually saying theyre conducting interviews. UNCG did something similar for me. I wish they’d just call it what it was lol

but Imo it’s a very very good sign! 

2 hours ago, stannecarson said:

Interviews suck ?. Also got word about the ND interview. My Pitt interview led to me getting waitlisted so I'm not thrilled to be going through this process again. They always say they just wanna discuss inspo and what not only to drop a, "define your teaching style in three words" type question–– bleh. Simply more arbitrary metrics to navigate!

Hey congrats on the Iowa acceptance! I was also waitlisted at Pitt for poetry and completely relate when it comes to interviews... I get awful anxiety about those sorts of things & kind of just blanked out for those 15 minutes ?if I were to do it again I think I'd honestly try to prepare/obsess about it less. Anyways, wish you the best of luck with your ND interview and congrats again, what exciting news! 

hi all ? as the waiting period goes on, i find myself growing more anxious. i was wondering for those who already got decisions (r/a/wl) had your application status changed at all prior to the decision? my application status still just says “submitted” as opposed to “under review” despite the fact that i submitted in december. in other words, the status hasn’t changed since then and i’m worried about being ghosted ? 

4 minutes ago, halsklo said:

hi all ? as the waiting period goes on, i find myself growing more anxious. i was wondering for those who already got decisions (r/a/wl) had your application status changed at all prior to the decision? my application status still just says “submitted” as opposed to “under review” despite the fact that i submitted in december. in other words, the status hasn’t changed since then and i’m worried about being ghosted ? 

I've gotten two decisions so far (one rejection and one waitlist) and weirdly the portal for the school I got waitlisted for still just says "Completed" under my "check status" tab. So I think, unfortunately, each school does it differently—some of them I know from last time don't even have your application status listed, you just have to wait to get your letter and that's the only way you learn your status. That being said, I think you should hear back from everywhere eventually, so I wouldn't worry about being ghosted lol. I mean, I'm sure some people fall through the cracks each year, but it doesn't seem very common—plus, if it's been a few weeks and the decisions all seem to have gone out, you can always call/email their admin person and check.