US Policy(MPP/MPA) and IR Grad Programs Podcast

After some nudging from people who have DMed me on this forum, I have started to create a Podcast about Policy and IR Grad Programs.

My inaugural podcast episode can be found on Spotify here:

Episode 2 will be about Cohort vs. Free For all System in Graduate Schools 

I haven't planned beyond that, so suggestions are welcome. 

9 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

After some nudging from people who have DMed me on this forum, I have started to create a Podcast about Policy and IR Grad Programs.

My inaugural podcast episode can be found on Spotify here:

Episode 2 will be about Cohort vs. Free For all System in Graduate Schools 

I haven't planned beyond that, so suggestions are welcome. 

what a king

I just finished Episode 2 of my podcast - Cohort System vs. Free For All System and the Student experience (the most important thing about the grad school experience that isn't talked about). 

@GradSchool96 ... Per your request, Episode 3 will be my discussing IR schools and the strengths and weaknesses of the Big 7

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

On 3/29/2022 at 9:00 PM, GradSchoolGrad said:

I just finished Episode 2 of my podcast - Cohort System vs. Free For All System and the Student experience (the most important thing about the grad school experience that isn't talked about). 

@GradSchool96 ... Per your request, Episode 3 will be my discussing IR schools and the strengths and weaknesses of the Big 7

@GradSchool96 - BIg 7 IR grad program summary perspectives is up on Spotify

Episode 4 will be about if HKS is Worth Going in Debt For

Open to questions, feedback, or suggestions for future episodes. 

Would you be willing to do an episode comparing all the DC schools? And then one comparing all the California schools? Would love to hear differences between the programs that are all competing in relatively the same area. Thank you for these podcasts! @GradSchoolGrad

Edited by MPP2024

8 minutes ago, MPP2024 said:

Would you be willing to do an episode comparing all the DC schools? And then one comparing all the California schools? Would love to hear differences between the programs that are all competing in relatively the same area. Thank you for these podcasts! @GradSchoolGrad

Sure, I can do one for DC schools easy (I'm assuming you mean Policy schools?). I know California schools broadly, but not enough to compare them in detail, so I'll pass on that. Episode 5 will be the DC policy schools. If I'm lucky, I might be able to pump out 2 episodes today.

11 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

Sure, I can do one for DC schools easy (I'm assuming you mean Policy schools?). I know California schools broadly, but not enough to compare them in detail, so I'll pass on that. Episode 5 will be the DC policy schools. If I'm lucky, I might be able to pump out 2 episodes today.

Yup, all the policy programs of the DC schools. Thank you, I look forward to it!

6 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

I decided to front load Episode 4 for you:

Thank you so much! It was really informative, wish I had known this before I applied this cycle. And thank you for the advice at the end about UMD, I ended up reaching out to alumni and current students so I was able to learn a lot more in depth about the program.

11 hours ago, Yengsterhoo said:

@GradSchoolGrad

You mentioned before in other topics your opinion on career options such as your own career, working at a think tank and it not being that great, IDEV careers are not as it seems, etc etc. Could you do a podcast on career options post-graduation and what you think about them? 

Sure, but I might not be able to get it out till Wed or Thurs 

3 hours ago, Gradthrowaway said:

This is an immense service! Thank you so much. I'd love if you did a mini-series about what you know about different schools, including Heller, Princeton SPIA, HKS, McCourt, the Elliot School, and any others you want to talk about! Thanks. ?

I already did a podcast on most of those schools. See the 5 DC area schools and the IR schools podcast. 

I know Princeton SPIA - broadly, but not enough to talk about it in detail. I'm tempted to make a Podcast on why Heller is a school to avoid, but would like the Podcast to not outright target any schools negatively. 

19 minutes ago, Gradthrowaway said:

Good call!

but hint I recommend you listen to my podcast about how Policy/IR schools manage themselves as context. Heller just have too many things that don't add up.

1. Their career services marketing doesn't make sense. Their bragging highlights Master's grads who get post-undergrad jobs - that suggests to me confused career services at a minimum

2. Reporting (in the forum and otherwise) of alums/students having poor student experience - not mixed (which is my sentiment about my policy experience), but just straight out not good

3. FSO (for IR) numbers and PMF (for domestic) numbers... these serve as a barometer on if a school is at least decent (with the exception of the elite schools - since they have access to MBB/start up/ venture opportunities). I don't see these numbers in strength for Heller.