B.A. --> top-ranked PhD: what are my chances?

Beek2023

Not sure where to post this so I posted it here and Q&A  (please let me know if that's not allowed!)

I graduated with a B.A. in History (Art history minor) in 2020, and am interested in going right to a PhD in 2023. The long-term goal is a museum curatorial career.

For a little background info, I went to an Ivy League undergrad and my GPA was 3.93. In terms of research experience, I did original archival research in early American history from sophomore fall to when I graduated as part of an independent research group; I published a paper on 20th century nationalism in an undergraduate history journal; and I wrote an honors thesis in History on modern art and national identity. After I graduated, I completed a fellowship at a museum that resulted in a research paper and a talk at the museum. I have spoken casually at a few conferences on my early American research, and besides the undergrad journal I will soon have an exhibition catalogue to put on my C.V. from my fellowship (I secured the image rights). Now, I'm working at an entry-level Communications position at a small museum. I also won a few prizes for my research/writing in undergrad and was part of a small undergraduate research forum.

That all being said, what do you think are my chances of getting into a top-ranked Art History PhD program with just a B.A. (and a B.A. in History to boot)? I'm looking mostly at Ivy Leagues so far (Yale is a top choice). While I'm also interested in state schools, all the ones I've looked at say a Master's is required for admission.

Any advice is super appreciated. I don't really have anyone in my life who's gotten a PhD (besides old, busy college professors) so I'm a little lost. Thank you so much in advance!

First off, not all professors are "old"! ? And even if they are, it doesn't preclude them from being great sources of advice on your grad school prospects. And when you really think about it, they're probably the best source since they know you as a person and an emerging scholar, unlike any of us strangers here on the wild old web—though your stats sound impressive. Profs also may be busy, but busy with a job whose official duties include advising students on matters that you're asking about here. They'll be the ones writing what some think (debatably) is the most important part of your app, the letters of recommendation, which will be read by prospective advisors, people whom your current profs will very likely know as colleagues or even friends. 

As to your actual question, apply to a mix of (funded) MA and PhD programs and see what happens. Many forum users have done so in the past and the results can be surprising. I wouldn't worry about your majoring in history, but a writing sample that's heavy on art history is better, and one that demonstrates your desired focus as a future doctoral student is best.

21 hours ago, Brooke2023 said:

Not sure where to post this so I posted it here and Q&A  (please let me know if that's not allowed!)

I graduated with a B.A. in History (Art history minor) in 2020, and am interested in going right to a PhD in 2023. The long-term goal is a museum curatorial career.

For a little background info, I went to an Ivy League undergrad and my GPA was 3.93. In terms of research experience, I did original archival research in early American history from sophomore fall to when I graduated as part of an independent research group; I published a paper on 20th century nationalism in an undergraduate history journal; and I wrote an honors thesis in History on modern art and national identity. After I graduated, I completed a fellowship at a museum that resulted in a research paper and a talk at the museum. I have spoken casually at a few conferences on my early American research, and besides the undergrad journal I will soon have an exhibition catalogue to put on my C.V. from my fellowship (I secured the image rights). Now, I'm working at an entry-level Communications position at a small museum. I also won a few prizes for my research/writing in undergrad and was part of a small undergraduate research forum.

That all being said, what do you think are my chances of getting into a top-ranked Art History PhD program with just a B.A. (and a B.A. in History to boot)? I'm looking mostly at Ivy Leagues so far (Yale is a top choice). While I'm also interested in state schools, all the ones I've looked at say a Master's is required for admission.

Any advice is super appreciated. I don't really have anyone in my life who's gotten a PhD (besides old, busy college professors) so I'm a little lost. Thank you so much in advance!

If you can produce a good writing sample and statement of purpose, you probably have a good shot. Your background is, honestly, very impressive.

• 3 months later...

Just shared some similar thoughts in this thread -- 

I think you are a strong candidate with this background, and have been demonstrably successful in your undergraduate program, especially in showing your research skills.

The most important thing here will be considering the big question: Why is art history the right field for you to continue doing the research you want to be doing? Historians & art historians are not the same thing (which I'm sure you understand) -- but what that tangibly means is that the way that each field *thinks* about research topics is different. Having a strong history background means you're an excellent researcher (and that archives background is great) but it may mean that you are more limited in *which* art history programs are right for you.  Look for people who value archival research, who are interested in social & cultural history, perhaps material culture/visual culture studies too... these are closer to a history field than a more traditional art history field. 

I put several questions in the thread above that I would encourage any fellow BA to PhDs to think about, and I think they're even more important when you're articulating a change in field.  

Ivies for the PHD aren't the be-all, end-all, if you can find a good fit with the right advisor. Good luck!

Ivies are not the only option, and depending on your area of focus, the

4 hours ago, venusofwillendork said:

Just shared some similar thoughts in this thread -- 

I think you are a strong candidate with this background, and have been demonstrably successful in your undergraduate program, especially in showing your research skills.

The most important thing here will be considering the big question: Why is art history the right field for you to continue doing the research you want to be doing? Historians & art historians are not the same thing (which I'm sure you understand) -- but what that tangibly means is that the way that each field *thinks* about research topics is different. Having a strong history background means you're an excellent researcher (and that archives background is great) but it may mean that you are more limited in *which* art history programs are right for you.  Look for people who value archival research, who are interested in social & cultural history, perhaps material culture/visual culture studies too... these are closer to a history field than a more traditional art history field. 

I put several questions in the thread above that I would encourage any fellow BA to PhDs to think about, and I think they're even more important when you're articulating a change in field.  

Ivies for the PHD aren't the be-all, end-all, if you can find a good fit with the right advisor. Good luck!

While ivies are not the only option, depending on your area of focus, they do dominate the top schools, including Brown, Princeton, Harvard and Yale.

On 4/7/2022 at 7:20 PM, Beek2023 said:

I have spoken casually at a few conferences on my early American research, and besides the undergrad journal I will soon have an exhibition catalogue to put on my C.V. from my fellowship (I secured the image rights).

Make sure you don't put the catalogue under "publications." Securing image rights doesn't count as a publication (in any case, publications at this stage of your career are totally unnecessary and possibly a bad idea). You can list that you secured image rights for the catalogue under a brief description of your fellowship, but honestly that is a skill that is pretty irrelevant to grad school work, so you can leave it off; the admissions committee will not care (unless one of them is in the final stages of preparing a book for publication and needs a research assistant who knows what they're doing! ?).

On 4/7/2022 at 7:20 PM, Beek2023 said:

Your profile is great. I don`t see any reason why you wouldn`t have strong changes of getting admitted to a top program, provided that the program is a good fit for you. I suggest having an outstanding SOP (this is the first thing they read and a sloppy one might stop them from looking at any other elements of your profile), a strong CV, and excellent recommendations. But first and foremost, it is important for you to make sure that you are the right fit for the program. You might have all the achievements in the world, but if your goals don`t align with the program`s offering you might be wasting your time. Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2022 at 9:50 AM, Dr-H said:

Your profile is great. I don`t see any reason why you wouldn`t have strong changes of getting admitted to a top program, provided that the program is a good fit for you. I suggest having an outstanding SOP (this is the first thing they read and a sloppy one might stop them from looking at any other elements of your profile), a strong CV, and excellent recommendations. But first and foremost, it is important for you to make sure that you are the right fit for the program. You might have all the achievements in the world, but if your goals don`t align with the program`s offering you might be wasting your time. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

Do you have any tips on how to have an outstanding SOP? I've started drafting mine and I feel a little at a loss, like there's some secret to writing it that I just don't know about. 

13 hours ago, Beek2023 said:

Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

Do you have any tips on how to have an outstanding SOP? I've started drafting mine and I feel a little at a loss, like there's some secret to writing it that I just don't know about. 

You`re welcome! There is no real recipe for an excellent SOP. It should be as objective as possible and focus entirely on research: past research and what type of research you would like to do. I also suggest adopting a tone that will be scholarly (objective). The admissions committee will evaluate mostly your ability to use the conventions of academic writing. It should be rigorous, precise, and well organized. Hope this helps!