HKS MPP vs LSE MPA vs Maxwell MPA/MAIR

gradpros12

Hi all! Long time reader, first time poster.

Some background: I’ve about 4+ years of professional experience working in international development. I applied to grad school to gain some quantitative skills that I lack and to explore climate policy. I am open to a career in the US Foreign Service but am also interested in working in the private sector, INGO or UN body afterward.

Any advice/perspective on thinking through these offers is helpful - thank you in advance!

LSE MPA: Unconditional offer. It’s a double degree (still within 2 years) with the University of Toronto (Master’s of Global Affairs). No financial aid, but can afford it without taking loans. I’m most excited about this one because of it’s a relatively small cohort, diverse and international, and affordable.

Syracuse Maxwell MPA/MAIR: full ride merit scholarship. Seems like a solid program based on my research and conversations with students/alumni. But, I’m not so thrilled about being in Syracuse especially after having weathered most of the pandemic in rural Texas.

Harvard MPP: no financial aid. Would need to take about $50K in loans. Can’t deny the brand but I’ve also heard from current students it’s not as academically rigorous. 

Edited by gradpros12
Added a bit more context

2 hours ago, gradpros12 said:

Some background: I’ve about 4+ years of professional experience working in international development. I applied to grad school to gain some quantitative skills that I lack and to explore climate policy. I am open to a career in the US Foreign Service but am also interested in working in the private sector, INGO or UN body afterward.

Any advice/perspective on thinking through these offers is helpful - thank you in advance!

LSE MPA: Unconditional offer. It’s a double degree (still within 2 years) with the University of Toronto (Master’s of Global Affairs). No financial aid, but can afford it without taking loans. I’m most excited about this one because of it’s a relatively small cohort, diverse and international, and affordable.

Syracuse Maxwell MPA/MAIR: full ride merit scholarship. Seems like a solid program based on my research and conversations with students/alumni. But, I’m not so thrilled about being in Syracuse especially after having weathered most of the pandemic in rural Texas.

Harvard MPP: no financial aid. Would need to take about $50K in loans. Can’t deny the brand but I’ve also heard from current students it’s not as academically rigorous. 

I think this is all about what risk you want to take. If you want to keep all your career options open and pay for it, Harvard MPP makes sense (best policy school for private sector - hands down period). If you want to focus on research/government roles and not pay for grad school - Syracuse MaxWell makes sense. 

LSE MPA only makes sense if having a job in the US is not a priority. 

2 hours ago, gradpros12 said:

Also, I think some topics on my podcast works well with your question as well. Starting with this -->