2023 Application Thread

dr. t

Regarding reaching out to POI, I would encourage most applicants to reach out. I had professors who let me know they would be retiring during the time I'd be in the PhD program, and they suggested other scholars in the field who might be interested in working with me. That saved me the work of an extra application/the fee. It depends on the institution, but there are also certain professors who greatly impact whether a student is admitted. The institutions where I was admitted didn't have the professors who were the most effusive about my project, but they were the POI who directly told me to list them as my primary advisor in my SOP. So it might not be the thing that makes or breaks, but it has certainly been helpful in my experience. 

2 hours ago, waitingforresults said:

But, in the end, all of those tips and communications didn't really help you with your admissions, did they?

All I'm trying to say is that communicating with POIs has no positive or negative impact on your chances, and the false impression of being friendly and helpful can create unrealistic expectations from applicants. Furthermore, you can get all of this advice from your home institutions' advisors and professors, current grad studnets. Especially when it comes to SOP, which is a unique genre of writing that you will never encounter elsewhere and for which you never receive actual feedback from reviewers.

How do you know I’m not admitted anywhere? I got two acceptances. 

Besides, not all of us are applying from “New Haven”. I’m applying from the Middle East where only a fraction of people can guide me through my applications at my home institution. And the advice I’ve received from the POIs is not the only reason applicants should reach out. There are hundreds of applications for 10-15 spots and if the professors reviewing these applications know your name, how could that not help? 

6 hours ago, waitingforresults said:

But, in the end, all of those tips and communications didn't really help you with your admissions, did they?

All I'm trying to say is that communicating with POIs has no positive or negative impact on your chances, and the false impression of being friendly and helpful can create unrealistic expectations from applicants. Furthermore, you can get all of this advice from your home institutions' advisors and professors, current grad studnets. Especially when it comes to SOP, which is a unique genre of writing that you will never encounter elsewhere and for which you never receive actual feedback from reviewers.

Of course one should temper expectations no matter how these meetings go but these meetings aren't helpful solely for the reason of figuring out your chances in the program. Especially for people unfamiliar with US admissions, there are deep gaps in knowledge that home institutions can seldom help with. I had one professor from undergrad and master's combined who had a us doctoral education so these meetings are great way to familiarise yourself with the process, understand what kind of mentorship is being offered and get sense of if the program is a right fit. I had really good conversations with POIs and sure I wasn't admitted to every single program where I had a good meeting but those were extremely productive conversations about sources, possible directions where the project could head towards and intellectual environments of diff spaces so I wouldn't outrightly say don't reach out at all, i think like most aspects about this process it's a case by case decision. 

8 hours ago, orcinusorca said:

How do you know I’m not admitted anywhere? I got two acceptances. 

Besides, not all of us are applying from “New Haven”. I’m applying from the Middle East where only a fraction of people can guide me through my applications at my home institution. And the advice I’ve received from the POIs is not the only reason applicants should reach out. There are hundreds of applications for 10-15 spots and if the professors reviewing these applications know your name, how could that not help? 

That was an honest question, because you've previously written about rejections from Yale, Stanford, and Princeton.

Because that isn't going to help, not all POIs do admissions for your field every year, and knowing someone's name isn't a variable in this situation. But thank you for your ad hominem remark without considering that I can come to New Haven from somewhere else for a graduate degree.

This is here just FYI. Good day.

On 2/1/2023 at 8:32 PM, waitingforresults said:

I applied with an Eastern European MA and a US MA in progress (graduating in May), 6 years of experience in the field, a professional career as an established social researcher in my country, fellowships, research grants, publications, teaching experience, 5+ languages, and 4 recommendation letters (3 from Ivy professors, whom I know since I was 21, and who saw me in this process of becoming). 

Regarding reaching out to POI’s yea it helps…..this whole process is very political. If your advisor or recommenders know professors x y and z at say, Princeton, and they introduce you, and you make a connection, then you have a better chance. 

my personal opinion which is shared by many academics, and especially at top schools, is it’s a sad reflection of our current labor market that you have to reach out to POIs. The application should be enough of an introduction. Many profs hate it when they get these emails, but it feels like it’s necessary if you want to have a chance. I think, collectively, we should advocate for the abolishment of this practice. If you want to get into somewhere with solid funding, you have to apply to like 15 or more schools, so if you talk to three profs at those schools, that’s 45 fricken people! Who has time for that? I work full time and am in school so I do not. Plus you’d have to know long in advance exactly where you are going to apply. 

summary: the need to reach out to POIs is real, but it’s bull and exploitation of our time and energy, and thus we should all come together to advocate against it as we hopefully progress in the academy, though not looking good for me. 

We should also push to abolish the whole notify acceptees before sending out rejections. Like just send them out all at once. 

has anybody heard from Cornell or Michigan? Seems like schools would know by now so not sure what they are waiting for. 

From a prof who recently graduated from an ivy and is now at an elite school: “The truth is actually many professors would rather not get these emails at all, and it's an unfortunate negative-sum side-effect of the ratcheting up of competition in academic labor markets that applicants feel obliged to write professors a separate communication from their application, which is itself a perfectly sufficient initial communication. Not your fault, I did it too, but anyway that's just to say don't sweat not knowing the proprieties of a form that doesn't need to exist.”

14 hours ago, waitingforresults said:

all of those tips and communications didn't really help you with your admissions, did they?

You don't know that, actually. They might have taken a mediocre application to a good one, but it's not about the quality of your applications, it's about the quality of the application relative to others. And a professor doesn't know what other applications they're getting. But it is useful information to know that a professor is enthusiastic and communicative.

Anyway, my signature line seems applicable here. Congrats on your acceptances; don't let them go to your head. Getting through grad school is pretty difficult if your entire cohort won't talk to you.

14 hours ago, waitingforresults said:

communicating with POIs has no positive or negative impact on your chances

This will vary wildly based on the specific department and person. 

2 hours ago, orcinusorca said:

Your attitude almost makes me feel glad I didn’t end up at the Ivies lol 

I am sorry and I explain my position below. Though, assuming one's background, life circumstances, and current situation based on location or institution is not nice either. Most of the people in my MA program come from less-than-affluent backgrounds, let alone gruesome life stories.

42 minutes ago, dr. telkanuru said:

You don't know that, actually. They might have taken a mediocre application to a good one, but it's not about the quality of your applications, it's about the quality of the application relative to others. And a professor doesn't know what other applications they're getting. But it is useful information to know that a professor is enthusiastic and communicative.

You are right. My point may have sounds rude, and the only reason was that I haven't heard from any professor I've spoken with (in my field) that the practice of sending emails to POIs has any value. Some are even deeply concerned about these practices, acknowledging that while the emails are good and nice, and the students are interesting, they can do nothing from there. I wrote POIs for MA programs 3 years ago, and I can't say it was a useful or enriching communication tool. There are better ways to build a network and get advice on your project, from conferences to simply approaching a professor whose article or book is of great interest to you and asking some research questions, especially if your fields are similar. I was doing it myself since the later stages of my undergrad, and it was a shot in the dark that occasionally turned into a nice and long exchange about ideas, primary sources, and research project framing.

Having said that, I genuinely believe that, while communication is important, it should not be bound to the application process, and it should never feel like an unspoken obligation. I see far too many people posting results and saying that they had high (or some) hopes due to good communication with POIs. This culture not only disillusions people and institutions and discourages from moving forward with their plans to get a degree, but it can also lead to more dire outcomes.

1 hour ago, 50CentParty said:

For those who has experience of getting off the waitlist, is it recommended to reach out to POI to talk about the waitlist (in addition to emailing DGS)? Or it's an entirely random process?

I e-mailed mine and responded to the e-mail from DGS. Idk if it will make any difference but I thought it wise to thank them and continue to emphasize my interest in the program. 

I received a notification (a really kind and gentle email from the Chair of Graduate Studies) that I was waitlisted for UPenn yesterday. Does anyone know what the likelihood of being admitted on the waitlist is, or what the internal selection processes look like from here on out?

Edited by Lmcgu002

Three rejections out of three PhD applications, Princeton, UNC, and Rutgers, but it makes sense because I'm a graduating BA competing with people with MAs, so I can't be too upset about it. 

Onto MA programs. Does anyone have any sincere recommendations for someone interested interested in Morocco, colonialism, Atlantic History, and tourism?

I am applying to Masters of International Studies at NC State and the Committee on International Relations at UChicago. They're tough programs to get into, but I'd think I'm qualified. 

I appreciate this forum

39 minutes ago, 1003128 said:

Three rejections out of three PhD applications, Princeton, UNC, and Rutgers, but it makes sense because I'm a graduating BA competing with people with MAs, so I can't be too upset about it. 

Did you apply to the Rutgers History Phd? I haven’t seen any rejections go out. I’m still waiting to hear back from them. 

4 hours ago, 1003128 said:

Onto MA programs. Does anyone have any sincere recommendations for someone interested interested in Morocco, colonialism, Atlantic History, and tourism?

I am applying to Masters of International Studies at NC State and the Committee on International Relations at UChicago. They're tough programs to get into, but I'd think I'm qualified. 

I appreciate this forum

MA in Comparative History at Central European University is fantastic; it usually comes with funding (at least partial), and living in Vienna/Budapest for a couple of years is also a very enriching experience.