2023 Application Thread

dr. t

9 hours ago, PhDApplicant23 said:

It is so sad to browse the history thread and there is such a doomer vibe over here. History is shrinking? girl...

Academic history is shrinking. The number of TT positions is in terminal decline. Departments are either not replacing retiring faculty or outright consolidating.

Pretending otherwise is not a good idea. 

And despite my grim demeanor, I'm not some type of ogre. I would love for academic history (and the humanities more generally) to have its star rising.

48422274_ScreenShot2022-09-03at8_59_45AM.thumb.png.60d6ea8b070921a74d0044bfd3d92b73.png

Edited by psstein

14 minutes ago, psstein said:

Academic history is shrinking. The number of TT positions is in terminal decline. Departments are either not replacing retiring faculty or outright consolidating.

Pretending otherwise is not a good idea. 

And despite my grim demeanor, I'm not some type of ogre. I would love for academic history (and the humanities more generally) to have its star rising.

48422274_ScreenShot2022-09-03at8_59_45AM.thumb.png.60d6ea8b070921a74d0044bfd3d92b73.png

But like can you compare History to other humanities disciplines, it feels like a lot of whining for one of the two better funded departments, this and English.

2 minutes ago, PhDApplicant23 said:

But like can you compare History to other humanities disciplines, it feels like a lot of whining for one of the two better funded departments, this and English.

English is a horrible state as well.

All humanities is either collapsing or in terminal decline.

19 hours ago, PhDApplicant23 said:

I wrote this: https://www.historians.org/ahajobsreport2022

Let me know if you have questions.

speaking of doomer vibes...

is anyone else just feeling straight dread after receiving an acceptance? I have an offer from a top 30 program (according to US News) but near the bottom of the top 30. (are these stats real?) I applied because there are many professors that I would be happy to work with and it's a great seeming program in the city I already live in. But does that translate to the job market? And not even the academic job market but any specialized history related job that requires a doctorate? 

It's always been my dream to immerse myself in the academic and social world of a Phd program, and really dive into research and build my own scholarly perspective, but at this point it feels like its potentially at a massive cost to other aspects of my life and future. Is there a point where I should accept that the dread is maybe better intuition than my previous hopes and plans. I'm just wondering what everyone else is thinking.. 

1 hour ago, SpiralJetty said:

is anyone else just feeling straight dread after receiving an acceptance? I have an offer from a top 30 program (according to US News) but near the bottom of the top 30. (are these stats real?) I applied because there are many professors that I would be happy to work with and it's a great seeming program in the city I already live in. But does that translate to the job market? And not even the academic job market but any specialized history related job that requires a doctorate?

Here's what I'd suggest:

1) Ignore the USNWR rankings. They're useless and come from a survey with an astonishingly low response rate. They don't measure anything that matters.

2) Look at the program that gave you an offer. What are its graduates doing? Are those the types of jobs you're interested in pursuing?

3) Look at the professors you'd work with. What are their former students now doing? Do those jobs match your own interests?

I realize this is an unpopular opinion, but many of the "alt-ac" jobs are jobs that you can hold with a PhD, rather than ones requiring a PhD.

The other thing I'd say is this: if you're especially wedded to one location, don't pursue a PhD in history. While you have a choice as to where you go to grad school, if you're in the lucky group who find a TT job, you have virtually no control over where you go. Most of the existing jobs are at R2/R3/PUI institutions in the US Midwest and South, many of which don't pay particularly well and some of which are in otherwise undesirable locations. Back in the day, the CHE fora had a thread on "embracing your inner North Dakotan."

For anyone waiting on UMass-I sent an email to inquire about a possible decision timeline and found out I was rejected. I'm assuming those who were accepted were already notified. I asked if I could be considered for the MA program, which will have decisions go out by the end of the week.

Edit: I just found out they won't be offering funding to their MA students and have withdrawn my app.

Edited by CheckYesJules

Hello my friends! 

I got into Rutgers University's Global and Comparative History MA program! SO STOKED!

Does anyone know of any good Rutgers or external fellowships/scholarships to apply for in order to fund this Master's? I didn't think I'd make it this far LOL

Best,
Reese

5 hours ago, phlegmaticmedievalist said:

Anyone hear from ND Medieval Institute yet? Still radio silence on my end. (Presumably, they've already done interviews and all...)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but ND MI and history have both sent out their offers to accepted students. Not sure if they have sent out a waitlist yet, but I wouldn't hold my breath at this point. 

11 hours ago, 50CentParty said:

Just in case anyone is waiting for UCSD, the Department told me they've sent out "initial offers" and probably won't have a waitlist this year. And they'll send rejections in the next few weeks.

Well, guess that's it for me, then. It was a good dream while it lasted. 

Good luck to the others.

25 minutes ago, phil12843 said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but ND MI and history have both sent out their offers to accepted students. Not sure if they have sent out a waitlist yet, but I wouldn't hold my breath at this point. 

Ah bummer, but that's what I expected. A bit ridiculous that they keep the rejected waiting so long. Maybe next year, I guess lol

Edited by phlegmaticmedievalist

9 hours ago, phlegmaticmedievalist said:

A bit ridiculous that they keep the rejected waiting so long.

Wait until you apply for jobs and you never hear back 😑

On 2/25/2023 at 9:22 AM, badfurry69 said:

Hi everyone! I just got accepted into Kent State's history PhD program with a four year, $16,000 per year stipend. I am so happy!

Congratulations! Getting in there is a huge accomplishment! 

I would just caution you to consider if you can live off of $16k a year, especially with inflation being what it is. Cost of living in Ohio is less than other places in the US, but that's still probably not enough unless they give you teaching funding. Just think about how you would be making less than minimum wage.

Also, NO ONE finishes in four years, so you're going to figure out how to make ends meet for years 5, 6, and possibly 7.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but money wasn't stressed enough or discussed enough when I went to acceptance days. I got a very good deal, but it's still not enough to cover everything anymore.

Edited by Manuscriptess

Got my UPenn HOS rejection finally. The end of the letter said, "I trust you that you have been, or soon will be, admitted to a university of your choice, and I would like to take this opportunity to wish you luck and success in your graduate studies." Is this part of their standard letter? 

44 minutes ago, porcelainruby said:

Got my UPenn HOS rejection finally. The end of the letter said, "I trust you that you have been, or soon will be, admitted to a university of your choice, and I would like to take this opportunity to wish you luck and success in your graduate studies." Is this part of their standard letter? 

Yes. It's a form letter.

4 hours ago, Manuscriptess said:

Congratulations! Getting in there is a huge accomplishment! 

I would just caution you to consider if you can live off of $16k a year, especially with inflation being what it is. Cost of living in Ohio is less than other places in the US, but that's still probably not enough unless they give you teaching funding. Just think about how you would be making less than minimum wage.

Also, NO ONE finishes in four years, so you're going to figure out how to make ends meet for years 5, 6, and possibly 7.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but money wasn't stressed enough or discussed enough when I went to acceptance days. I got a very good deal, but it's still not enough to cover everything anymore.

I also got put on a short waitlist at Illinois, and I have money saved up so I can have a reasonable standard of living during a PhD.

Got rejection from NYU yesterday. I'm now just waiting on Upitt and UMass Amherst, and technically Northeastern (I know acceptances have already gone out, so I'm pretty sure I didn't get a spot, I was on the shortlist so I think they might be waiting to see if someone doesn't accept offer - but their funding package is insanely good (40K) so I don't expect that). At this point, it's not looking like I'm going to get in this round, my plan is to find some sort of museum/public history job for a year and reapply next cycle.

On 3/10/2023 at 2:03 PM, KinOfKafka said:

but their funding package is insanely good (40K) so I don't expect that)

Look at the median 1BR rent in Boston before you get too excited.