Exercise Routines

Riotbeard, I did a "practice run" today, and it felt so good! I just need to remember that when it's cold or rainy!

My advisor bikes to school in all weather that's not a total blizzard. I've seen her biking on days when we get 4-6" of snow.

At first I thought she was crazy, but then I realized...she's in her mid-forties, and she's totally fit. Now I worship her. Oh to have her dedication!

I occasionally do yoga in my apartment during the week, but I'm most excited to start a women's boxing class this Saturday. The Yelp reviews suggest it's an insane workout and only $15 to drop in!

I found I worked out more when I was in grad school than when I have a regular job. For me, hitting the gym was the perfect way to release stress and a great time to think about whatever paper I was writing at the time (when on the bike or treadmill). I also would hit the gym, just as I was about to fall asleep at the library - nothing like exercise to wake you up and get another hour or two of studying in before sleeping.

Oh - to the OP who wants a quick, and great workout - I suggest erging (the rowing machines).

light plyometrics twice a week

basketball 1-3 times a week

taking the long way when walking anywhere

running is definitely not for everyone, I personally could never stand it.

• 3 weeks later...

I had good inentions about going to the gym, but I haven't made it since classes started.

I want to get back into working out, but in the mean time I've been walking to class, TAing, study group, etc every day. It's not super strenuous, but it's at least 30 mins to 1 hour depending on the day.

I actually never worked out until this past week and a half (so with the start of my grad school experience.) I'm pretty active in general but did not set foot in a gym or on an elliptical/stationary bike/etc.. until I started using the gym membership I just signed up for last month. The great thing about my gym is that they have a childwatch center so I can leave my kids up to two hours while I take a class or go to the gym. They love it because it is like a little adventure for them. I have worked out 4 times since I started going and I love it--My favorite machine is definitely the elliptical for a low-impact cardio workout. I can go an hour and a half without huffing and puffing. It is so relaxing and I feel great afterward. I can't believe I didn't do this before ( I can't believe I'm in my thirties and only now started to get some experience with this equipment. Next I'm thinking about integrating an aerobics class or something into my schedule.

I bike to and from school which is a round trip of nine miles. Plus I found another member of my cohort who likes to play (but also does not excel at) tennis, so we do that once a week. I would say I have the best exercise routine of my life now, considering I never had one before. The only reason I am not a fat ass at this point is due to a strict regiment exchanging cigarettes for actual food...