Potential Advisors

nicacar

I know that this question has been asked time and time again, but how should you go about contacting potential advisors? My first experience was bad, since the PA was very sarcastic and rude, and basically scared me off from contacting anyone else. Nevertheless, I contacted another PA, who was a lot nicer. Unfortunately, I didn't go into great detail about my research so far, but based on our similar interests, he encouraged me to apply. Our e-mail conversation did not last long, and basically, I am not sure if he will remember me. I am going to a conference in November that he will be attending, and I am hoping to meet with him in person there. So, I have a few questions:

1 - Does contacting professors help with anything? Is it even worth it?

2 - When contacting professors, how do you keep the conversation going without annoying them by sending information they did not ask for such as research papers, grades, etc.?

3 - Should I e-mail this professor that I hope to meet in November to set up a meeting, or should I just try to catch him at one of the roundtables?

Anyways, thank you all for your help.

Edited by nicacar

I know that this question has been asked time and time again, but how should you go about contacting potential advisors? My first experience was bad, since the PA was very sarcastic and rude, and basically scared me off from contacting anyone else. Nevertheless, I contacted another PA, who was a lot nicer. Unfortunately, I didn't go into great detail about my research so far, but based on our similar interests, he encouraged me to apply. Our e-mail conversation did not last long, and basically, I am not sure if he will remember me. I am going to a conference in November that he will be attending, and I am hoping to meet with him in person there. So, I have a few questions:

2 - When contacting professors, how do you keep the conversation going without annoying them by sending information they did not ask for such as research papers, grades, etc.?

3 - Should I e-mail this professor that I hope to meet in November to set up a meeting, or should I just try to catch him at one of the roundtables?

Anyways, thank you all for your help.

Contacting a PA is essential mostly because it'll help you determine where not to apply. Professors are constantly taking leaves, getting ready to retire, switching institutions, overloaded with their current crew of grad students, etc. So at the very least you'll know not to apply to University X because Professor Y can't be your adviser for whatever reason.

This is a censored version of what I sent to everyone:

My name is [ChibaCityBlues]. I am an MA student at [some university] in the History Department under the advisement of [some professor]. I am in the process of preparing applications to PhD programs and am thus sending this email to introduce myself and as a means of gauging how well the History Department at [prospective university] might serve as an institutional home as I continue my graduate studies.

I am contacting you because [Professor's Awesome Book] served as an inspirational introduction to the study of [sub-field], which I have pursued as a graduate student. I recently completed a work of original research in which I [analyzed something the professor should be familiar]. The paper reflects my general interest in [professor's sub-field] and more specifically [in my specific interests defined in two or three words]. As a future dissertation topic and in the most general of terms, I will [a more elaborate sentence about what I plan on researching and writing about]. In the parlance of [Famous Historian 1] and [Famous Historian 2], [my research question worded using key terms associated with Famous Historian 1 and Famous Historian 2 that reveals that my interests are formulated in conversation with contemporary academic conversations and interests]?

For the sake of brevity I'll leave it at that. If there are any considerations you think I should be aware as I consider applying to the History Department at [prospective university], or if you have any questions for me, please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Thanks very much for your time.

ChibaCityBlues

This was probably more formal than I had to be, but I left the PA in control of the conversation. Some replies were obviously meant to be the end of the conversation, others invited a more prolonged exchange of emails. What I absolutely wanted to avoid was pushing the conversation beyond the point the PA wanted to participate. I didn't mind being forgotten, but I absolutely didn't want to be remembered as that annoying person who kept writing them.

I'm not in history, but the social sciences so take this as you will.

Yes, it helps decide where not to apply as already mentioned. Professors may also suggest other profs you might consider looking at and/or programs worth applying to. I would say that it's definitely worth it. It also helps you learn more about how the professor works with his or her graduate students, whether you would fit into that culture, and whether that professor's research interests have shifted since his or hers most recent publications.

You don't annoy them by not sending anything they don't ask for. Don't ask questions that can be answered by checking the department's or the university's website or that are more appropriate for the director of graduate studies.

Email him and try to set up a meeting. The same for any other profs too.

Hope this helps!

Being in touch with potential advisors is probably one of the most important aspects of getting into grad school, and one of the biggest differences between applying to grad school vs. undergrad. People think that after you apply, you get an interview, but the truth is that the only time you really have to give a good impression to your potential advisor is to contact them. It shows personal initiative which is probably one of the most important characteristics of a great grad student. It is a bit nerve wracking (especially if you travel very far just to meet with this one person who you just hope just hope will actually think you have some little bit of potential) but totally worth it.

Keep it as short as possible No More than 2 normal length paragraphs preferably to short ones (these people are busy with their own grad and undergrad students). I always offered to send a CV if they were interested. That being said, I think it's worth doing. If you can travel and meet with people at your top choices, it is helpful too (if you have good interview skills).

I am just applying this year and I don't have a lot of experience with this (and I haven't really seen the results yet!) but I sent out a short email like this:

"Hello Professor [NAME],

I recently graduated from [COLLEGE] and I'm currently in the process of researching graduate schools. I plan on applying to [COLLEGE] and I am hoping that you might consider me as a potential advisee.

I am interested in studying [sTUFF] and I think that your work with [sTUFF] will make you an especially well-suited advisor. Right now, I am particularly interested in [bRIEF ELABORATION OF STUFF]. [ONE MORE SHORT SENTENCE ABOUT STUFF.]

Finally, I live pretty close to [COLLEGE] and, if you have time, I would love to visit.

Thanks,

[NAME]"

...I only added the last sentence to schools I could visit without driving more than two hours. All of the professors I offered to visit invited me to come in the fall and meet with them. In fact, all of the responses I received were positive. Some were short and obviously the end of dialogue - "Thanks for writing. Your research sounds interesting and is a good match for our program. I encourage you to apply." Other responses asked questions - "What kind of STUFF?" and some offered a phone call to answer questions / talk about research. I sent maybe 7 emails and received 5 responses so far. One of the potential advisors told me that they are going on leave and retiring soon, which is really important to know because if I applied to that program all like, "I look forward to studying with PERSON" - I might have just been rejected because they would not be there, you know?

Also, for the professor at the conference - I would send a follow up email like, "I noticed you will be at X Conference - me too! If you have time I would love to meet up for a minute to ask you some questions."

Thank you all for your responses. Contacting Professors always makes me nervous, but I guess it's essential for our field. All of this has been very helpful, and will hopefully be of use to others as well. Thanks again!

Edited by nicacar

Thank you all for your responses. Contacting Professors always makes me nervous, but I guess it's essential for our field. All of this has been very helpful, and will hopefully be of use to others as well. Thanks again!

Networking as much as it sucks is essential to every field.

As an illistrative story:

Two years ago, I e-mailed a prof, who wrote the book on my research topic, a paper of mine for commentary etc. I never received any response.

4 months ago I e-mailed the same Prof. and dropped a name (in a tasteful and natural way) of a professor we both new, and also mentioned I was starting my Ph D. This time I received helpful comments even some probing questions on my statistical analysis.

The point is self-promotion (as loathsome as it is) is essential when done right. The field is so competitive at every level, that even though your adviser will do their best to champion you, they can't pound the pavement for you. Good luck.

Good point and advice, Riotbeard. I appreciate the feedback, and I'm glad you received helpful comments on your paper.

I am glad you understood in spite of my type-ohs

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone - has anyone had the experience where you write professors but they do not write back? I've e-mailed a total of six professors, and only two responded. The one's I am most interested in working with have not responded. Could this mean that they are just not into my work? Or is it because I e-mailed them in November? Maybe they are just busy, but I cannot help but thinking that maybe I said something wrong in my e-mail. I wish they would just say, 'No, I'm not into that' so that I can just move on, apply elsewhere, and save some $. Anyways, here is an edited version of what I sent the professors:

Dear X,

My name is X, and I am currently a graduate student in X department at X-University. The reason I am writing you is because I am interested in X's PhD program in History. I believe that your expertise on the history of non-elites, labor, and nationalism in the Arab Middle East can guide my own interests concerning MY VERY SPECIFIC RESEARCH INTEREST (perhaps TOO specific?). I was wondering if you will be accepting students for the upcoming school year, and if you think there is enough overlap in our interests for me to pursue them at X. I appreciate you for taking the time to read my e-mail and look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

X

My first rule of graduate school: Don't take anything personally. Move on.

Sometimes professors don't want to get "attached" to a potential applicant early on and want to see who else is applying, or for the fear that s/he might lose a battle during admissions decision and don't want to disappoint you by making a contact and get you all excited to apply.

Just apply and see what happens. We'd like to save money but sometimes there isn't much that we can do except to take a chance.

Since MME is a small field, it can't hurt to drop names of professors you're already working with. This is especially effective if your professors specifically recommend X, Y, and Z at Schools A, B, and C. If you have more than one professor you'd like to work with in the department, write to them too!