How long is your GRE score actually good for?

Mattk87

I know they are officially good for like 5 years, but I also know that the school will want them as new as possible and some won't take ones older than 2 years. I am planning on taking the GRE this fall but was wondering would a score be seriously accepted if I applied a year later?

Given as much as most departments care about the score (very little), unless otherwise specified, the only times you *might* need fresh scores would be for fellowships. And then, it will either be specified as required, or will just be something that will help.

I don't think you should have a problem taking the GRE now and using the same scores next fall.

Given as much as most departments care about the score (very little), unless otherwise specified, the only times you *might* need fresh scores would be for fellowships. And then, it will either be specified as required, or will just be something that will help.

I don't think you should have a problem taking the GRE now and using the same scores next fall.

Not only is it OK to use this year's score next year, it might even be preferable.

Here's why: As you may know, beginning in August 2011 the GRE's format and even its scoring scale will change radically. I can imagine that those committees that DO put some considerable weight on the GRE score will not be precisely sure how to interpret the new scores.

ETS will of course maintain the new and old scores are 100% comparable and will provide cross-referencing data etc. But! The content of the new test will be radically different: no analogies or antonyms on the verbal portion, fewer geometry questions and presumably more statistics and probability questions on the quantitative portion.

I've looked into this for all the schools I'm applying to, and nobody has mentioned them ever expiring before the official 5 year mark.

To the OP, I am curious what schools do not let you use scores that are older than two years, but still considered OK by ETS?

Thanks,

Edited by adaptations

I've looked into this for all the schools I'm applying to, and nobody has mentioned them ever expiring before the official 5 year mark.

To the OP, I am curious what schools do not let you use scores that are older than two years, but still considered OK by ETS?

Thanks,

The chem dept at UChicago only accepts GRE scores less than 3 years old.