Hi everyone! So I recently graduated from my undergrad with a pretty poor GPA. It was actually pretty decent (3.4) until COVID and then in tanked. I really struggled with online courses and staying focused outside of campus. Long story short, I graduated with a 2.7 GPA. I know that is not acceptable for SLP school, however, I am attending a post-bacc because I majored in English Literature. So far I have a 4.0 in my program and I am loving the courses I am taking. I am work as a para-educator in my local school district and am studying for my GREs. If I maintain a 4.0 in my program I will come out with a combined GPA of 3.1. Is this enough to get me into a SLP program? My last 60 credits will be strong, I am just worried about my undergrad GPA. Let me know what you guys think! 

Edited by FutureSLPJulia

Don't count yourself out, particularly due to the extenuating circumstances with COVID. Keep working to pull up your GPA, shine on your GRE, volunteer, and obtain other relevant experience. I sent you a PM.

Edited by Timbrr

• 1 month later...

It's great that you're doing so well! Based on the information you've provided, I doubt your undergraduate GPA will drastically affect your chances of acceptance, but it really depends on where you're applying and what the applicant pool there looks like during the cycle you're submitting in. If you're willing to move or the school(s) you're aiming for locally are not swamped with applications, then it's likely that your post-bacc will count for a lot. If you're not able to relocate and planning on applying to only 1-2 programs that regularly get flooded with applications, that might make things a bit more challenging as you may stand out less than other applicants that are coming in with similar academic and professional profiles. You have a lot of great experience, including at one time not performing up to your potential (which can be very relatable, especially if you're interested in working in school environments or pediatrics). That also counts, on the condition that you communicate it well in your applications (essay + recommendation letters). 

I highly recommend utilizing ASHA EdFind to get a better idea of what students programs tend to accept and how many acceptances generally go out, and then applying to at least 6 programs with a broad scale of GPAs represented that are close to yours. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket if that's something you can help. I also recommend talking to professors and current students in the programs you're interested in about the things you hope to be able to do as a graduate student. Getting involved in some way can also speak volumes. 

• 4 weeks later...

Don't count yourself out! I was in a similar boat, my last 60 units were much higher than my overall GPA, and addressing that in your personal statement can be helpful as well. Focus on what you learned from those obstacles and how you can continue to move forward and grow stronger as a student. If you have opportunities to volunteer or observe, those are always helpful to add to your application. PM me if there's any way I can help! :)