2023 Applicants

6 hours ago, sadgirl said:

I know I'm getting really anxious too! Especially since some schools do interviews and I'm scared I'm going to be rejected if I don't get any invites. But I'm keeping a positive mind, lighting a candle, etc. How many schools have you applied to?

I applied to 11! I ended up not submitting two (for a would-be total of 13) at the last minute because my fee waiver requests got denied and I knew I didn't connect with those two programs that well, but I am truly terrified that I won't end up getting in anywhere. I feel like I have no "safety" school like I did when I was applying for MFA's, so everything feels like such drastically higher stakes now! 

15 hours ago, hay bagel said:

I applied to 11! I ended up not submitting two (for a would-be total of 13) at the last minute because my fee waiver requests got denied and I knew I didn't connect with those two programs that well, but I am truly terrified that I won't end up getting in anywhere. I feel like I have no "safety" school like I did when I was applying for MFA's, so everything feels like such drastically higher stakes now! 

I understand, applying to MA programs was fun compared to this ? 11 seems like a solid number though! My situation is a bit different as I was only allowed to apply to 6, so I'm basically trusting someone else with my future (as we are all now, I guess). What is your field?

3 hours ago, sadgirl said:

I understand, applying to MA programs was fun compared to this ? 11 seems like a solid number though! My situation is a bit different as I was only allowed to apply to 6, so I'm basically trusting someone else with my future (as we are all now, I guess). What is your field?

I'm interested in long 18th century ecocrit! What about you? Can I ask why you were restricted to only 6? That does seem so stressful relinquishing even more control over this process!

2 hours ago, hay bagel said:

I'm interested in long 18th century ecocrit! What about you? Can I ask why you were restricted to only 6? That does seem so stressful relinquishing even more control over this process!

I'm into modernist sapphic lit! I'm a foreign Fulbright candidate and they allow a maximum of 5/6 apps per candidate. As an international student I'm happy I'm not fully on my own this year, but it's still stressful. Do you have a top choice?

50 minutes ago, sadgirl said:

I'm into modernist sapphic lit! I'm a foreign Fulbright candidate and they allow a maximum of 5/6 apps per candidate. As an international student I'm happy I'm not fully on my own this year, but it's still stressful. Do you have a top choice?

Oh wow, that's awesome! I feel like I have a six-way tie for my top choices lol, I am just really hoping I end up in Boston! What about you??

44 minutes ago, hay bagel said:

Oh wow, that's awesome! I feel like I have a six-way tie for my top choices lol, I am just really hoping I end up in Boston! What about you??

We might end up in the same city! My top programs are Northeastern and UMD College Park. :)) do you know when we might hear about interviews for Northeastern?

37 minutes ago, sadgirl said:

We might end up in the same city! My top programs are Northeastern and UMD College Park. :)) do you know when we might hear about interviews for Northeastern?

That's so exciting, I'm glad I found a virtual friend :)) Based on the last few years of results, I am thinking some time between the last week of January through the second week of February! 

1 hour ago, hay bagel said:

That's so exciting, I'm glad I found a virtual friend :)) Based on the last few years of results, I am thinking some time between the last week of January through the second week of February! 

Me too! I see, I'll try to keep occupied until then. :')

Just wanting to drop by and say hello!!! I have been unable to sleep everyday since I submitted my last application. Wish u all good luck and good sleep!

I am applying to English program with concentration in multiethnic YA lit!

3 hours ago, Shuyaaaa said:

Just wanting to drop by and say hello!!! I have been unable to sleep everyday since I submitted my last application. Wish u all good luck and good sleep!

I am applying to English program with concentration in multiethnic YA lit!

Hii! I feel you, I've also had trouble sleeping. Try to tire yourself out with hobbies! Ik it's hard though. 

Your field is super interesting! Are you interested in Cherie Dimaline and the like?

11 hours ago, sadgirl said:

Hii! I feel you, I've also had trouble sleeping. Try to tire yourself out with hobbies! Ik it's hard though. 

Your field is super interesting! Are you interested in Cherie Dimaline and the like?

I am reading another YA about Metis right now! C rying over the extreme  violence they face... being raped or assaulted, children taken away from them... God, it's just so difficult to read

3 hours ago, zanthia122 said:

Seeing acceptances/interviews/rejects starting to pop up on the results page is not good for my mental health… how are you all hanging in there?

Acceptance comes really early? I would suggest don't search... tho we all search hahaha anxiety takes over our body.

I talked with my friends who applied last cycle how they managed anxiety. Well they just tried to do focus on something else. I'm learning a bit about digital humanities and French atm.

On 1/3/2023 at 12:52 PM, hay bagel said:

I know we're still at least a couple weeks away from beginning to hear back, but I literally cannot think about ANYTHING else! I am so anxious and just desperate for news UGH

I totally feel your pain! I have 5 applications out. One, The University of Oregon, closed the application window on 12/4. The other, University of Idaho, has my application in faculty review status. The rest have windows that close in a couple days, or into febuary. I watch my phone like a hawk! The stress is killing me.

4 hours ago, zanthia122 said:

Seeing acceptances/interviews/rejects starting to pop up on the results page is not good for my mental health… how are you all hanging in there?

I have noticed that as well. Letters of rejection/acceptance from a University I applied to in particular. Yet, nothing for me ???

On 1/4/2023 at 3:59 PM, hay bagel said:

I know the feeling! I had applied to four, but at the last minute I added a fifth. No word yet, but I had a great phone conversation with a Prof at one of my top choices. I am not sure that is a guarantee of anything but it helped with stress. I have had an ongoing email conversation for over a year with anoher whose work I hightly respect. Yet the schools window closed 12/12 and I have heard nothing yet

5 hours ago, Shuyaaaa said:

Acceptance comes really early? I would suggest don't search... tho we all search hahaha anxiety takes over our body.

I talked with my friends who applied last cycle how they managed anxiety. Well they just tried to do focus on something else. I'm learning a bit about digital humanities and French atm.

They do... I have applied to Boston College and seeing the two rejections is making me brace for impact...

I finished revising a journal submission this week and I'm working on a conference paper... so yes I'm trying to stay busy and distracted. It's so hard not to check my email every hour though.

2 hours ago, zanthia122 said:

They do... I have applied to Boston College and seeing the two rejections is making me brace for impact...

I finished revising a journal submission this week and I'm working on a conference paper... so yes I'm trying to stay busy and distracted. It's so hard not to check my email every hour though.

You'll rock it and no emails can be a good sign!!!

my mindset changes from (I'm a good fit! I'm happy with what I wrote!) to (maybe I can still work on my sop? maybe I'm just a weak applicant) within like 3 days???

I'm going to send over an abstract for a conference as well! Need to keep myself distracted.

6 hours ago, Shuyaaaa said:

my mindset changes from (I'm a good fit! I'm happy with what I wrote!) to (maybe I can still work on my sop? maybe I'm just a weak applicant) within like 3 days???

I'm going to send over an abstract for a conference as well! Need to keep myself distracted.

Thank you, and I hope so! Monday being a holiday is nice, since I know I'm not going to get rejected then. It feels like calm before the storm.

I go from cautiously confident to absolutely dejected multiple times a day. It's pretty common! I just take deep breaths and remind myself it's out of my hands now.

Which conference? I'm submitting mine to the British Women Writers Conference.

On 1/14/2023 at 10:46 AM, zanthia122 said:

Which one is it? Mine's Boston College and rejections are going out apparently.

I have seen some announcements from University of Oregon, but my application still shows processing.

On 1/14/2023 at 7:45 PM, zanthia122 said:

I go through this cycle all the time. I often worry I had a spelling error or missed a run on sentence in some communication that will doom me. Other times I feel confident that it will all be fine! The more days that pass the more my confidence erodes.