2023 Applicants

2 hours ago, fulldarknostars said:

Princeton interview seems unconfirmed other than 1 person, not sure I'd prejudge your own chances

Do you mind sharing a little more? I was really counting myself out since I didn't get any interview request, but this gives me a glimmer of hope.

Might you know if the interviews are not for all shortlisted applicants and/or whether there's still a chance even if one doesn't get a interview request?

Congratulations and good luck to any anonymous posters who did get that invite!

Hey everyone,

Seeing people posting here really helps calm down my nerves -- I can see I'm not the only one checking my inbox every hour and freaking out bc there are no news.

I see most of you guys applied to Lit programs. I applied to 2 Rhet/comp PhDs, UoArizona RCTE and Miami (OH). (I also applied to 2 other programs, but for Applied Linguistics.)

I am waiting to hear back from Arizona mid-February, but Miami's admission timeline is unpredictable based on previous results. Do you think is ok for us to contact GS Directors or assistants and ask about their timelines? 

Hope all of you guys hear great news soon, and please keep posting here so we can help each other during this anxiety season. ??

I don’t know if it’s a good idea to email and ask for the timeline… either way you’re going to hear back. It’s extremely hard but I’d try to be patient. I feel this year’s results have been late across the board. I heard back from BC and OSU but they’re both later than the previous years.

(actually no, BC is right on track. I just checked)

If any other anxious folks want to feel better. I've spent the last week checking Grad Cafe every day. My anxiety is so high I need to keep peeing every ten minutes. I've seen my top choices send out interview invites already. Trying to figure out how not to wither away completely during this cycle. 

Did anybody else get that email chain from Berkeley? First nearly giving me a heart attack with the header "You are important to Berkeley. Then the email preview saying to pay my application fee (which I've already done!). Then the email itself being basically nothing more than spam. Then FINALLY a second email apologizing for the first one - but only for the error saying to pay the application fee!

Re: Princeton--a few more interview reports have popped up. from my conversations with a previous alum, interviews are not necessarily a prerequisite for admission (this person did not have one but was admitted over 5 years ago), they're often used to compare 2 similar applicants and structure a wait list. that being said, I still wish I would have gotten a request, but still not totally scratching it off just yet.  Also worth noting that last cycle some folks heard from them later in Feb

Edited by fulldarknostars

18 hours ago, beaumont_and_fletch said:

Does anyone have any tea on the UPenn interview process? It was my top choice and I was very disheartened to see interviews go out on the results board (and...like...not get an invite). 

I would love to find out some information about this too. UPenn was my top choice as well :(

5 hours ago, firwidgeon said:

hello, all! i applied to a mixture of english and comp lit programs (10 in total). i saw a few BC rejections posted—anyone else hear anything back? i'm so nervous waiting! good luck everyone :)

I got waitlisted at the BC English PhD program so I know for sure offers have been sent out for them. Is this the program you're waiting to hear back from?

12 hours ago, zanthia122 said:

I got waitlisted at the BC English PhD program so I know for sure offers have been sent out for them. Is this the program you're waiting to hear back from?

yes, i havent heard back from them yet (or any of my schools)—im expecting a rejection, but i just want to know for sure at this point. i hope you get off the waitlist! 

4 hours ago, firwidgeon said:

yes, i havent heard back from them yet (or any of my schools)—im expecting a rejection, but i just want to know for sure at this point. i hope you get off the waitlist! 

Thank you, and it can't hurt to reach out and confirm at this point. From the email I got, it sounds like they're made the decisions that needed to be made, so you should have heard back already. 

I was away to celebrate Chinese New Year with my friends, and now oh whoo Feb is coming and I can feel my anxiety level is rising again. All the programs (UF, UConn, Texas A&M, Illinois State) I applied to do not hold interviews, and I have been waiting ever since I submitted my app in Dec. Such a torture.

Congratulations to all the offer holders!!! Finger-crossed for myself and everyone else!!!

Hey team -- first comment on GradCafe, though I've been lurking for a few weeks now. 

I interviewed w. UPenn yesterday and they told me I wouldn't hear back for...wait for it...a month or so. It seemed like they're very much still figuring things out so I wouldn't count yourselves out just yet!

So far I have 0 acceptances, 1 waitlist (UW-M)m, 1 rejection (Duke).