2023 Applicants

Well I think it's time that I face that I may not get into any grad schools this round.  I got the official rejection from Cornell yesterday and have heard nothing from Indiana university which means its probably a no go.  I also never got an interview invite from Pennsylvania so that's also a no go.  Still waiting to hear from Tennessee, Texas and Nebraska but I don't have much hope :(

1 minute ago, marif said:

god, me too! do you know if they send the acceptances/waitlists in batches or is it dead for good for us?

I know someone whose proposed area is children's literature got waitlisted. But I (also children's literature) heard nothing from UConn.

I really don't know hahaha I guess it will be rejection for me? But there are only two results posted. 

30 minutes ago, Shuyaaaa said:

I know someone whose proposed area is children's literature got waitlisted. But I (also children's literature) heard nothing from UConn.

I really don't know hahaha I guess it will be rejection for me? But there are only two results posted. 

hope everything turns out good for you! fingers crossed!

Hi all,

I just wanted to chime in as I know we are in the middle of the application season.

A brief story: I applied two previous application cycles (non consecutively) and was shut out both times. Completely shut out. At first, I felt discouraged and not sure of what the next steps would look like.

But I continued to focus my research interests, attend conferences, and work on the written materials of my application. I also thought more critically about what programs would be the right fit for me.

This time around, my third time applying, I have several acceptances and offers.

I felt inclined to share this to let you know that you are doing great, no matter what the outcome happens to be. Try not to be discouraged. Given that it has taken me three tries to get accepted, anything can happen! :)

15 minutes ago, cat_rook2 said:

Hi all,

I just wanted to chime in as I know we are in the middle of the application season.

A brief story: I applied two previous application cycles (non consecutively) and was shut out both times. Completely shut out. At first, I felt discouraged and not sure of what the next steps would look like.

But I continued to focus my research interests, attend conferences, and work on the written materials of my application. I also thought more critically about what programs would be the right fit for me.

This time around, my third time applying, I have several acceptances and offers.

I felt inclined to share this to let you know that you are doing great, no matter what the outcome happens to be. Try not to be discouraged. Given that it has taken me three tries to get accepted, anything can happen! :)

Aw thank you for this! I got a rejection today and your encouragement made me feel better. Congratulations on your offers!

Hi! I just want to share my happiness with you all! I am finally admitted somewhere (not top top ranked, but they have good reputation for child lit)! The perfect Valentine's present! I am very worried about the results because this year is my first cycle and I only apply to 4 phd programs. Also, I am not a native speaker, I have never studied in the US and my undergrad major is not english either. I just feel I am LESS compared to others. But today I received acceptance with tuition waiver, GTA and a merit fellowship award. They say I'm the top 2 phd admit to receive this award! I feel so happy that they like me and they value me! I wish you all good luck!!! I hope you will find my story encouraging and inspiring!

1 hour ago, Shuyaaaa said:

Hi! I just want to share my happiness with you all! I am finally admitted somewhere (not top top ranked, but they have good reputation for child lit)! The perfect Valentine's present! I am very worried about the results because this year is my first cycle and I only apply to 4 phd programs. Also, I am not a native speaker, I have never studied in the US and my undergrad major is not english either. I just feel I am LESS compared to others. But today I received acceptance with tuition waiver, GTA and a merit fellowship award. They say I'm the top 2 phd admit to receive this award! I feel so happy that they like me and they value me! I wish you all good luck!!! I hope you will find my story encouraging and inspiring!

Big big congratulations!! As a non-native speaker myself it makes my heart happy to see others succeed. Hope you treat yourself to something nice today!!

2 hours ago, Shuyaaaa said:

Congratulations Shuya, so tough when English isn't your first language! English or comp lit?

On 2/14/2023 at 12:22 AM, marif said:

hope everything turns out good for you! fingers crossed!

Don't know if you already heard back or not. I sent an email asking when we will be informed of the admission decision today! Tired of waiting it out! I'll let you know what they say.

Hi! I am completely new to the international application arena so looking for some clarity here...I completed my application on 15th Jan, the last date in all the cases and have been stuck with the 'under review', 'app released to the program', 'under department review and recommendation' ever since then. Is it because I am out of the game entirely or because I submitted on the last date? The grad rep replied that they're still processing but since I am new to applying abroad I am not sure about any of the signs...I saw 2 acceptances on the portal for florida state and 1 for McMaster so here I am...panicking...day and night...checking the emails/app portal every passing minute...this is the real ordeal...I have lost half of my fingernails within a month already...don't know what else am gonna lose!?

On 2/15/2023 at 6:57 PM, Shuyaaaa said:

Don't know if you already heard back or not. I sent an email asking when we will be informed of the admission decision today! Tired of waiting it out! I'll let you know what they say.

hey, I did not! I would be really interested in learning their answer. thanks for sending the email!

With Rutgers sending out acceptances today and me not getting one, it looks like this is it for me this cycle! I’m glad that it’s over and I no longer have to obsess over the results page and my inbox. It’s happened faster than I thought it would even though at times it was excruciatingly slow. I’ve gotten some good offers. Now to do some more research and try to make an informed decision. For those of you still waiting to hear back from programs, good luck! I’m crossing all my crossables for you. ?

okay... I swore to myself I would not post on gradcafe but HERE I AM breaking my promise to myself. does anyone know what the hell is going on with UVA's process? I've seen that they've admitted/rejected/waitlisted people already but I've heard...nothing? like how the hell are they doing this lol?

(I've also heard nothing from Yale or UPenn -- applied for the combined FMS program at Yale but didn't interview, interviewed at Penn -- and have no clue what's going on there either but assuming a rejection tbh)

Well I assumed that it was all over for me but I got a small bit of hope.  I got an email from Nebraska that I was rejected for their phd program but received a separate email asking if I would apply for their masters program that is funded with a stipend.  They said that I would be very competitive in that pool.  My thought process is maybe if I get my masters first I will be more competitive the next time I apply for phd programs.  Also it is fully funded which is a big plus.  Its not a for sure thing that I would even get in but it gives me a little bit of hope.