2023 Applicants

12 hours ago, firwidgeon said:

is anybody else attending boston university’s admitted students day on march 31st?

I wish I could give you a positive answer lmao but congratulations!!! When did you hear?

3 hours ago, sadgirl said:

I wish I could give you a positive answer lmao but congratulations!!! When did you hear?

thank you so much and i hope you hear good news soon!!!!!! best of luck 

i heard on march 14 by email (im the second poster on the results page). 

1 hour ago, firwidgeon said:

thank you so much and i hope you hear good news soon!!!!!! best of luck 

i heard on march 14 by email (im the second poster on the results page). 

Oh big congratulations! I’m happy one of us finally heard something good. I hope you have fun at the admissions event!!

I’m waiting for my Fulbright office to let me know, but in the event of positive news I will contact you :))

Is it a bad idea to email to ask about the status of my application? I saw a couple rejections go up on March 9th and March 14th, but I haven't seen any waitlists or acceptances and I personally haven't heard anything yet. It's a small program (someone who was rejected said the DGS emailed them personally with feedback and said they only accept 2 students per year) so it's possible those who were accepted just didn't post their acceptances. I'm assuming that acceptances are always sent before rejections, but I'm thinking I am maybe on a waitlist or something. 

This is the last application I'm waiting on and it's my top choice. I also need to know so that I can decide on my other offers as those decisions are due in the next 2 weeks. I've heard mixed things about emailing to ask about the status and I don't want it to hurt my application, but it's almost the end of March. 

17 hours ago, stressed_applicant said:

Is it a bad idea to email to ask about the status of my application? I saw a couple rejections go up on March 9th and March 14th, but I haven't seen any waitlists or acceptances and I personally haven't heard anything yet. It's a small program (someone who was rejected said the DGS emailed them personally with feedback and said they only accept 2 students per year) so it's possible those who were accepted just didn't post their acceptances. I'm assuming that acceptances are always sent before rejections, but I'm thinking I am maybe on a waitlist or something. 

This is the last application I'm waiting on and it's my top choice. I also need to know so that I can decide on my other offers as those decisions are due in the next 2 weeks. I've heard mixed things about emailing to ask about the status and I don't want it to hurt my application, but it's almost the end of March. 

def not a bad idea to reach out

Anxiously waiting on BU to decide my fate--I am thrilled with my other offers so I don't think I could really go wrong, but if I make it off the waitlist then I am definitely going to Boston. I hate how dragged out this process is 😕 

I’m really curious what others think… would you choose a lower-ranked school if it was located in a city better than a higher-ranked school? I’m stuck between WashU in St. Louis and Fordham. I visited both schools, met with faculty and current students, etc. The former was a great fit, but I can’t fathom living in St. Louis for 5 or so years. (For context, I’ve been in the Midwest for almost 6 years for my BA and MA, and I’m itching to leave.) My research is pretty archive-heavy, too, which makes NY all the more appealing. 

It pained me a bit yesterday to turn down my offer at UT, but the stipend was horrible. 

Edited by ittybittylitty

On 3/30/2023 at 10:45 PM, ittybittylitty said:

I’m really curious what others think… would you choose a lower-ranked school if it was located in a city better than a higher-ranked school? I’m stuck between WashU in St. Louis and Fordham. I visited both schools, met with faculty and current students, etc. The former was a great fit, but I can’t fathom living in St. Louis for 5 or so years. (For context, I’ve been in the Midwest for almost 6 years for my BA and MA, and I’m itching to leave.) My research is pretty archive-heavy, too, which makes NY all the more appealing. 

It pained me a bit yesterday to turn down my offer at UT, but the stipend was horrible. 

I can't say anything about your decision but as someone who's lived in new york as a student all I can do is give you some info on a little bit of literature student stuff:

it's pretty expensive, everything from rent to food to books, but it's also a very convenient city which I'm sure is obvious

it does have a THRIVING literary community which is really really great, there's always stuff going on in the city, events and such that you can go to multiple times a week, and that's a fantastic way to network maybe meet other people in the field or just meet people with common interests and so on, plus the NY Public Library (nypl) is an amazing resource which keeps you from having to buy books (but ofc support local bookstores if you're able and willing) and membership is eff arr ee ee FREE

personally I ended up leaving NY bc I'm an international student and visa stuff didn't work out but as someone interested in literature it is for sure a great place to be, if you can afford it (note that finding off-campus housing is difficult rn but not impossible, just know it'll take time so start planning ahead -- honestly plan ahead for anything you do in ny, and if you're going to fordham you might be able to get away with living somewhere up north slightly outside the city with cheap rent but idk)

i've never been to st louis lol sorry

On 4/2/2023 at 4:26 PM, MAYSHU said:

Does anyone hear more from Stanford Modern Thought and Literature?

Relatedly, is anyone still waiting to hear from Stanford Comp. Lit? I've reached out to them twice now, and still nothing. I think I've been rejected and it's just not a priority for the department to inform me. Good luck, everyone (and congratulations if you have gotten an offer!). 

8 hours ago, wanlichangcheng said:

Relatedly, is anyone still waiting to hear from Stanford Comp. Lit? I've reached out to them twice now, and still nothing. I think I've been rejected and it's just not a priority for the department to inform me. Good luck, everyone (and congratulations if you have gotten an offer!). 

If my memory did not go wrong, I do not think you are out of the game right now. I might hear from one of my peers that she was rejected on 03/10 from the waitlist....

8 hours ago, wanlichangcheng said:

Also, my advisor asked me to wait until the last day...It is not uncommon to hear from them on 14th/15th...You know, many people will not make a decision until the last minute...

2 hours ago, MAYSHU said:

Also, my advisor asked me to wait until the last day...It is not uncommon to hear from them on 14th/15th...You know, many people will not make a decision until the last minute...

Thanks, Mayshu! This gives me some hope!

Hey Mayshu, can I ask at which program your friend was waitlisted before the rejection? Many programs waitlist on area so I guess it makes sense that some get an earlier rejection than others. I would say a good sign that you're still on the waitlist at MTL. I have some friends attending that program, I can ask if they have some info? They met the prospectives around a month ago.

3 hours ago, johnokeefe said:

Hey Mayshu, can I ask at which program your friend was waitlisted before the rejection? Many programs waitlist on area so I guess it makes sense that some get an earlier rejection than others. I would say a good sign that you're still on the waitlist at MTL. I have some friends attending that program, I can ask if they have some info? They met the prospectives around a month ago.

Hi~John (if I may), I think she was on the Comparative Lit list, and her research interest is Taiwanese Literature. If I could get some information of MTL from your friendsr, that would be awesome! I really appreciate your help! 

23 minutes ago, MAYSHU said:

Hi~John (if I may), I think she was on the Comparative Lit list, and her research interest is Taiwanese Literature. If I could get some information of MTL from your friendsr, that would be awesome! I really appreciate your help! 

I'll ask and send you a DM