MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Stopping by to say that I got a phone interview request yesterday from University of Oregon's print professor, not sure if every department is on the same schedule though! 

Edit: Also just heard from UT Knoxville that I'm an alternate for admission. Hey, I'll take that as good news this early in the process!

Edited by h3249r

15 minutes ago, Paintingpaintings said:

Just got a interview request for CalArts mfa

14 minutes ago, Sculpturegirl101 said:

Congrats! I just did too! 

Was about to ask you guys what program until I read your usernames lol...I hope they haven't sent out graphic design interview invites yet but if yes, then I guess it's a no-go for me!

On 1/31/2023 at 11:16 AM, rhonda89 said:

I'm curious to know if anyone has any experience with Tyler's painting program, out of the schools I applied to it's the only one I hadn't visited or had contact with. Also, I did tour and/or interact with students/faculty/alum at PAFA, NYAA, Cornell, SAIC, and VCU this past fall if anyone has questions about those!

Current tyler print MFA here. Happy to answer any questions about painting faculty/program since I’ve had frequent studio visits with them, or put you in touch with first year painters that can help you with good info on the program. 

6 minutes ago, reallyfamousartist said:

Hi all! Good luck with your admissions! I've heard back from and have secured interviews with SAIC, MassArt, Rutgers, CalArts, UChicago, & Northwestern in painting/2D. How have your interviews been going? What kind of questions are they asking? I feel sooooo nervous

I also heard back from Northwestern but nothing from UCLA, Stanford, UCSD, CSULB, U of O, UNC, or UGA. At least NW sent invites on the exact date they did last year. Other programs don't seem to be on the same schedule each year.

Goodluck with your interviews and don't be nervous, they chose you for a reason. 

17 minutes ago, Gaara said:

Has anyone heard from UCLA or Stanford? This time last year both of those programs had already sent interview invites:/

I haven't heard anything from UCLA yet.

I still need to hear from Columbia, Yale, ArtCenter.

3 hours ago, futuredesigner said:

Was about to ask you guys what program until I read your usernames lol...I hope they haven't sent out graphic design interview invites yet but if yes, then I guess it's a no-go for me!

I got calarts interview invite for graphic design today. They might send out more invites later, stay hopeful!

26 minutes ago, Fawn said:

I got calarts interview invite for graphic design today. They might send out more invites later, stay hopeful!

Ooh, congrats! It's okay, it's not one of my top programs but I was still hoping to hear back. I've applied to other competitive programs so now I'm feeling a little less hopeful about the other ones...

Edit: Was it for the 3-year program or 2-year?

Edited by futuredesigner

57 minutes ago, futuredesigner said:

Ooh, congrats! It's okay, it's not one of my top programs but I was still hoping to hear back. I've applied to other competitive programs so now I'm feeling a little less hopeful about the other ones...

Edit: Was it for the 3-year program or 2-year?

It's for the 3-year program and I'm an international applicant :)) I haven't heard anything from RISD tho and felt really anxious for the past few days... Now I feel much better since Calart is my first choice

If you got an interview with RISD then I'm sure you have a solid portfolio! There is nothing else we can do but wait at this point...

Hi everyone. I have applied in Round 1 Deadline for MFA Graphic/Communication Design as an international student for a 2-year track to the following:

1. RISD
  2. Pratt
  3. CalArts
  4. Yale
  5. SAIC
  6. MICA
  7. CCA
  8. Boston Uni

I have heard only from CalArts so far requesting an interview. Any idea if any other college has sent out interview invites yet? Really anxious!

Edited by risaurus

13 minutes ago, Fawn said:

It's for the 3-year program and I'm an international applicant :)) I haven't heard anything from RISD tho and felt really anxious for the past few days... Now I feel much better since Calart is my first choice

If you got an interview with RISD then I'm sure you have a solid portfolio! There is nothing else we can do but wait at this point...

Maybe it’s for the best…even if I got an offer from CalArts, I would still prefer RISD so hopefully we both get into our top schools! ? Good luck on your interview!

On 1/31/2023 at 12:24 AM, futuredesigner said:

Just got an interview invite for RISD graphic design!! Heck! I honestly thought I'd get rejected because there were so many mistakes in my application lmfao

Edit: Does it hurt me if I do the interview over Zoom versus in-person? I'm broke and I work full time so it's hard to take time off.

Congratulations! May I ask if you applied for early decision or Round 1? And whether for 3 or 2-year track?

Hi all, I'm an international student and I apply for the following schools in MFA Painting

- Yale (nothing so far)

- RISD (requested for interview, they sent it in Jan 20)

- SAIC (requested for interview, they sent it few days ago)

- MICA LeRoy E. Hoffberger (requested for interview)

Hope this helps! I hope to receive notification from Yale soon

Edited by lebleu