MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

47 minutes ago, Huis.clos said:

For those accepted to a program at SAIC, have you received your financial aid package yet? I signed into the applicant portal and I only see a merit based scholarship listed. 

Not yet and looks like they are sorting things out here atm.

I only got an admissions letter but no mention of any merit based scholarships so no clue whether they come separately or I didn't get anything atm.

Edited by SocialKonstruct

9 hours ago, Sweetie123 said:

I had a very similar experience during an interview and felt quite awkward. This is my first time applying to MFA programs and that was my first interview (I have had two other interviews since then), and I felt very uncomfortable telling them that I hadn't heard from any other programs yet. I did not get accepted into that particular program and I wonder if my answer affected my chances of acceptance. 

I despise this question. I intentionally left it blank in my written application and felt absolutely put on the spot in my Zoom interview when it was asked again. I even tried to flout it once, saying I had applied to schools "in the Southern California area" and was further pressed on it — at which case I saw no other choice but to answer.

When I got said interview, the truth was that I hadn't heard back from any of the other programs (I only applied to 4, and this nosey institution was actually the first to get back to me). I said as much and my other interviews eventually trickled in in the following weeks... I'm honestly at a loss at what they wanted to hear so early in February and what they were trying to get out of my answer. 

ETA: I realize it's some sort of betting/playing odds of whether an applicant will accept your offer based on (I'm assuming?) the cost/standing of the other institutions, but it seems absolutely wack to me. The outcome, if anyone is curious, was that I was waitlisted after revealing my list! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by soph8ahotdog

8 hours ago, Huis.clos said:

For those accepted to a program at SAIC, have you received your financial aid package yet? I signed into the applicant portal and I only see a merit based scholarship listed. 

From the website at https://www.saic.edu/admissions/graduate/scholarships-grants#MeritScholarships

"Recipients are selected through a holistic review of each student's academic history, portfolio, and statement of intent. If awarded, students will be notified by a separate letter in their admission packet."

So it's a separate notification.

With interviews almost all over and acceptances being offered, is anyone having doubts if an MFA is actually the best choice for them?

I am thinking a lot about funding and the weight of financial debt along with questioning if the gamble of an MFA would actually support an art practice and a full time professional career after graduation. 

The excitement of building with peers, dedicated time, resources, facilities for artistic research, the general fruitful experience of learning and growth, the adventure of living in a new place are all wonderful parts of an MFA.

What about having a sustainable art practice and financial stability? Will an MFA make the work too esoteric? Does anyone have strategies for life after an MFA to ensure that you don't burn out and/or end up with a large amount of debt and at a loss of how to balance part time/full time work and an exhibiting practice?

4 minutes ago, mfahopefulfunding said:

With interviews almost all over and acceptances being offered, is anyone having doubts if an MFA is actually the best choice for them?

I am thinking a lot about funding and the weight of financial debt along with questioning if the gamble of an MFA would actually support an art practice and a full time professional career after graduation. 

The excitement of building with peers, dedicated time, resources, facilities for artistic research, the general fruitful experience of learning and growth, the adventure of living in a new place are all wonderful parts of an MFA.

What about having a sustainable art practice and financial stability? Will an MFA make the work too esoteric? Does anyone have strategies for life after an MFA to ensure that you don't burn out and/or end up with a large amount of debt and at a loss of how to balance part time/full time work and an exhibiting practice?

No regrets here. I just regretted not applying to full funded programs in addition to the ones I already had. But still a MFA is worth it for all of my art friends I have met so far.

Edited by SocialKonstruct

7 minutes ago, mfahopefulfunding said:

This is my first time applying for MFA programs and it is exhausting and emotionally draining. I am feeling burnt out and defeated. I only applied to fully funded programs, which are very competitive, so I knew the rejections would come, but I think the interviews gave me a lot of hope. I am waiting on one more program's decision, and even with full funding, I would still have to go into debt to pay for housing, materials, food, my dog - all the regular life things. I do think that getting an MFA is worth it and something that I would like to do, I am just not sure if now is the right time or if I should give myself a little more time outside of school to develop a stronger studio practice and then reapply - although, I am afraid if I don't go back soon, I won't go back for ages. who knows though. Life is weird. 

7 minutes ago, mfahopefulfunding said:

Has anyone here applied to MFA programs in Europe? Any insights into Sandberg Instituut, Piet Zwart Institute, Staedelschule, or Slade? Any insights into residencies at Rijskademie or De Ateliers?

Oh I would be so interested to hear if you get accepted to De Ateliers - I've been looking at their program for a few years. 

11 hours ago, Huis.clos said:

I don’t think I have… Or I’m getting nothing? Both possible. I set up a zoom call with them Monday afternoon to ask about this. Will let you know what I learn!

11 hours ago, Huis.clos said:

Are you an international student? :)

13 hours ago, Forms Without Formula said:

Got my official rejection for U of O tonight. This is where I’m at:

SVA: accepted

Pratt: interviewed

Mass Art: interview on Tuesday 

SAIC: rejected 

University of Oregon: rejected

Tulane: *hopeful but realistically skeptical crickets*

Have you heard from tulane yet? I had my interview a few weeks ago and then found out on Thursday that I wasn't accepted. I was so sad. 

21 minutes ago, E_b said:

I don’t think I have… Or I’m getting nothing? Both possible. I set up a zoom call with them Monday afternoon to ask about this. Will let you know what I learn!

Much appreciated! I emailed the assistant director of grad admissions to see if packages will be sent out separately or if I can assume no aid. She mentioned in a previous email that they wouldn't know until closer to March 15 but that seems unlikely as the deadline for accepting admission and merit scholarship is on that date. Hope to hear back soon so I'll keep you posted as well!

3 hours ago, mfahopefulfunding said:

After graduating from undergrad I quickly learned that your career options are extremely limited with a BA in Art. I have no regrets about trying to pursue a fully funded MFA program because I know it'll open a lot of doors without putting me in debt. I applied to highly competitive fully funded programs in locations that I knew would be beneficial for me, but maybe I should have been more open-minded and chose some more fully funded programs in the Midwest and South. Instead of wasting my time on long-shot programs like Stanford, UCLA, and UCSD...I could have chosen lower-ranked fully funded programs to give myself a better chance. But I don't regret betting on myself because now I have a chance to attend Northwestern, a fully funded program that gives one of the highest stipends and covers tuition, it'll cover my rent and leave me with money left over. 

20 hours ago, Sweetie123 said:

Have you heard from tulane yet? I had my interview a few weeks ago and then found out on Thursday that I wasn't accepted. I was so sad. 

No word at all from Tulane, I’m considering emailing them but also can just assume I’m not in and I’m not ready to hear them say it yet so I might just keep waiting and waiting

Hi all. This is my second year doing mfa applications. Visual Arts/Painting.

This is my list this year:

PNCA- interviewed and Accepted 

Indiana Bloomington- interviewed and waitlisted 💔(top choice) 

U of Oregon- Rejected 

U of Arkansas- silence 

Central Washington U- silence 

Washington State U- silence 

U of Washington- silence 

Has anyone heard from the Washington schools or Arkansas yet? 

22 hours ago, Gaara said:

After graduating from undergrad I quickly learned that your career options are extremely limited with a BA in Art. I have no regrets about trying to pursue a fully funded MFA program because I know it'll open a lot of doors without putting me in debt. I applied to highly competitive fully funded programs in locations that I knew would be beneficial for me, but maybe I should have been more open-minded and chose some more fully funded programs in the Midwest and South. Instead of wasting my time on long-shot programs like Stanford, UCLA, and UCSD...I could have chosen lower-ranked fully funded programs to give myself a better chance. But I don't regret betting on myself because now I have a chance to attend Northwestern, a fully funded program that gives one of the highest stipends and covers tuition, it'll cover my rent and leave me with money left over. 

Got word I have no merit scholarship from SAIC so no clue how I can afford that.

40 minutes ago, Vla961 said:

Hi all. This is my second year doing mfa applications. Visual Arts/Painting.

This is my list this year:

PNCA- interviewed and Accepted 

Indiana Bloomington- interviewed and waitlisted 💔(top choice) 

U of Oregon- Rejected 

U of Arkansas- silence 

Central Washington U- silence 

Washington State U- silence 

U of Washington- silence 

Has anyone heard from the Washington schools or Arkansas yet? 

This was last year, but I interviewed with Arkansas painting in early February (2022) and then I heard nothing from them until I got a rejection letter in my email inbox in MAY. The only reason I knew I was waitlisted was because I called to ask about the status of my application in April since I’d heard nothing. 

20 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Got word I have no merit scholarship from SAIC so no clue how I can afford that.

graduated from SAIC and that's very normal for SAIC's MFA photo program. SAIC's photo program is highly overrated, and I still do not understand why people think it's good. I would suggest you go somewhere else with more funding. SAIC's photo is not worthy at all.

28 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

I feel you, I thought about applying to programs that aren't fully funded because I figured if a program cost a lot of money then they probably have higher acceptance rates, but I decided not to. Personally, there's no way I would take on debt for an MFA but everyone's financial situation is different. I would apply for 5 straight years before taking on massive debt. 

////

Side Note Though: This is my 93rd post...why has no one told me to shut up already lmao 😂 I'm on this forum too much, and I can't stop thinking about Northwestern...I just want to go to sleep and wake up when the results have been sent, it's so annoying having the undetermined fate of your future on your mind 24/7....not to be dramatic but this is crazy lol

Edited by Gaara

1 hour ago, mfadoom said:

has anyone heard back from Bard re: interviews? They said this week and it's not seeming like anyone has heard back? 

I know of two people who received interviews for Film/Video early last week. (Both from this forum.) But haven’t heard of anyone in other disciplines getting interviews. I don’t think they interview very many people, so we might all just be out of luck. It’s too bad.