MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

51 minutes ago, qrxtuv said:

Hey folks - long time lurker, first time poster - just wondering if there is a general consensus surrounding the reputation of UW Madison’s MFA in the art world, or if anyone has any stories (pos, neg or indifferent) or thoughts abt the program? I was offered a place there for this year and just curious bc I don’t have a fine arts background. Thanks!

As a MN native, I've only heard good things about UW madison, and Usnews ranks it as #15 in best fine arts Graduate programs in the US. Congrats on the acceptance!

Source: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-fine-arts-schools/fine-arts-rankings?name=University of Wisconsin--Madison&_sort=rank-asc

For people accepted into funded programs (and if you feel comfortable sharing) how much money are you getting in stipends? And what sort of time requirement is tied to the stipend?

I've gotten two offers, both funded.

The first offer comes with a $16,000 stipend per year - I would be teaching my own undergrad course beginning in September. Teaching right off the bat makes me nervous because I've never taught before.

The second offer is $12,000 per semester, but I wouldn't get a stipend (or have an assistantship) until the second semester. So my first year stipend would be $12,000 and my second year I would get the full $24,000. 

I just want to see how these offers align with offers other applicants are getting. I hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there x 

Has anyone gotten any new updates from UCSD since last Thursday? I was told they were going to release all decisions by Monday and my portal and email haven't gotten anything. Anxiety has been through the roof all day😪

Alright, since I'm mostly through the waiting process at this point I figured I'd post this info for future applicants lurking this thread as much as I was past years'! This was my 2nd application cycle and I applied to painting programs.

Here are my admissions results & the dates which I heard from schools: 

Cranbrook - interview invite sent 2/10, acceptance (via email) 2/23

SUNY Purchase - interview invite sent 2/8, acceptance (via phone) 2/23

Boston University - interview invite sent 2/8, acceptance (via email) 3/7 

Artcenter - interview invite sent 3/12, waitlisted (via portal) 3/13 .. interview scheduled for 3/14 

New York Studio School - interview invite sent 3/7, withdrew application 

SAIC - rejected 2/8 

Columbia - never heard, presumably rejected 

Updated for today:

MFA PROGRAM Fall 2023 CONCENTRATION STATUS

Yale University Sculpture Rejected
Yale University Painting and Printmaking Rejected
UCLA New Genres Rejected
Columbia University Printmaking Rejected? (Assumed)
School of the Art Institute of Chicago Painting/Drawing Rejected
School of the Art Institute of Chicago Photography Accepted
School of the Art Institute of Chicago Sculpture Rejected
Calarts (California Institute of the Arts) Art (Integrated Media) Rejected
Calarts (California Institute of the Arts) Art + Technology (Integrated Media) Interviewed
Calarts (California Institute of the Arts) Photography and Media (Integrated Media) Rejected
ArtCenter College of Design Art Accepted

Today's update: Another rejection. This one from CSU

Norwegian University of Science & Technology: Silence.

Oslo National Academy of the Arts: Rejection 3/3. 

Arizona State University: Waiting for rejection letter

Colorado State University: Rejection 3/14.

Boise State University: Waitlisted 2/28 with high priority.

New Mexico State University: Accepted 3/9.

first post, first round of MFA applications for graphic/communications design.

my background isn't in art or design, so i wanted to apply to a lot of different programs to see if it might help me better understand where my work might fit best on the spectrum of commercial/experimental.

i have to say i'm rather surprised at my results. the next month will hold a lot of soul searching and research, but i'd love to connect with anyone who's looked into any of the same programs as me.

RCA: accepted, no interview

SMFA: accepted after interview

Pratt: accepted, no interview

USC: interviewed and unofficially accepted with letter coming in ~2.5 weeks

Cranbrook: accepted after interview

RISD: waitlisted after interview

SVA: rejected, no interview

ArtCenter: nothing yet

1 hour ago, blenderbottle said:

first post, first round of MFA applications for graphic/communications design.

my background isn't in art or design, so i wanted to apply to a lot of different programs to see if it might help me better understand where my work might fit best on the spectrum of commercial/experimental.

i have to say i'm rather surprised at my results. the next month will hold a lot of soul searching and research, but i'd love to connect with anyone who's looked into any of the same programs as me.

RCA: accepted, no interview

SMFA: accepted after interview

Pratt: accepted, no interview

USC: interviewed and unofficially accepted with letter coming in ~2.5 weeks

Cranbrook: accepted after interview

RISD: waitlisted after interview

SVA: rejected, no interview

ArtCenter: nothing yet

Woo!! Lots of acceptances! I haven't heard back from ArtCenter (applied for 3-year graphic design) and I'm not sure if I will hear back at this point.

2 hours ago, futuredesigner said:

Has anyone else heard from Carnegie Mellon for the MA in Design?

I just got an acceptance email but they didn't attach the welcome letter that they mentioned. Hoping the mistake was that they forgot to attach the letter and not that I was falsely accepted. Did this happen to anyone else?

6 minutes ago, healthdesign said:

I just got an acceptance email but they didn't attach the welcome letter that they mentioned. Hoping the mistake was that they forgot to attach the letter and not that I was falsely accepted. Did this happen to anyone else?

I just got mine! I think GradCAS is having problems because my first email didn't have an attachment, but after I emailed, I got another email that was exactly the same (but with attachments) and another one from the Grad Program Coordinator!

Edited by futuredesigner

1 hour ago, futuredesigner said:

I just got mine! I think GradCAS is having problems because my first email didn't have an attachment, but after I emailed, I got another email that was exactly the same (but with attachments) and another one from the Grad Program Coordinator!

Ah, just got it! Congrats!! 

seems like we can log into ArtCenter portal now but mine is still missing all funding info… same with CalArts (states something like funding “under review”) despite my acceptance arriving weeks ago and non-stop email communications asking for my deposit… has anyone heard from either school about $$$?

I was going for the art + technology programs at each of these schools.

MIT: Rejected

UCLA: No news yet (or interview)

CalArts: Half tuition

Parsons: Full tuition

Feeling very inclined to go with Parsons unless UCLA comes out of nowhere.

Looks like there are also teaching options at Parsons to help cover some cost of living in NYC.

Congrats to you all and good luck!

On 3/7/2023 at 5:23 PM, redCat said:

For anyone waiting, I was notified of my acceptance into MICA's mfa graphic design program and Pratt's mfa communications design today! I was really shocked about Pratt since I hadn't interviewed. Just Boston University left. Anyone heard from them for design??

I was accepted about a week + ago. So they're sending out decisions. Good luck! I am sure they still have more decisions to share.