MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

18 hours ago, cornchip said:

Does anyone have insight into Tyler they want to share? This is looking like my best option right now. I so appreciate that they are a funded program and can provide stipends as well. I'm just not sure it's the right fit for me. I was accepted into the Fiber program, but I'm curious to hear any opinions on Tyler and Philly in general!

I just want to chip in because I’m from Pennsylvania and I absolutely adore philly overall. There is an amazing artist community there with a ton of artist run gallery spaces and it’s actually affordable to live in. Any city you consider moving to will have crime, anywhere you go. But I think Philly is a great place to find a supportive artist community if you are in search of one. 

8 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

My strategy is simple. For talking about scholarships (merit usually) I would try to speak with the department. For grants and loans, financial aid office for that round.

oooh! awesome, thanks so much for explaining the process and letting me know 🙏 much appreciated

23 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Philly is pretty dangerous to live in. Almost got shot once and stabbed once there.

Tyler is dope for fiber. I think Erin M. Riley went there and wow yes! Amy Lincoln went there too. So a very good school.

7 hours ago, Inthemiddleofariddle said:

I just want to chip in because I’m from Pennsylvania and I absolutely adore philly overall. There is an amazing artist community there with a ton of artist run gallery spaces and it’s actually affordable to live in. Any city you consider moving to will have crime, anywhere you go. But I think Philly is a great place to find a supportive artist community if you are in search of one. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I think there are unsafe parts in any city so I know I'll have to take precautions wherever I go (I live in a very safe small town rn). Glad to hear there is a solid artist community in Philly! 

3 hours ago, borg said:

Sorry to bring this up again, but it seems like some decisions from Hunter were already sent out this week - has anyone heard anything? 🥲🥲 

I received an acceptance on March 15! I got an email to check my portal and the decision was there.

7 hours ago, paintpaiiint said:

Has anyone heard from UCR? I haven't heard anything since my interview.

Just out of curiosity when did you hear back from UCR? You should shoot them an email and tell them that you are still interested in the program and what the current timeline is for final decisions.

On 3/16/2023 at 10:33 AM, duderstad said:

is the rejection in your portal? I did not receive a rejection and I see nothing when logging in

not sure if you were asking me, but I got an email that there was a status change and logged in and clicked on the application, then saw the decision. 

On 3/17/2023 at 12:52 PM, borg said:

Sorry to bring this up again, but it seems like some decisions from Hunter were already sent out this week - has anyone heard anything? 🥲🥲 

I got my acceptance letter on 03.15.2023 via email notification to check the portal. I applied for Sculpture. 

On 3/13/2023 at 5:45 PM, Sweetie123 said:

For people accepted into funded programs (and if you feel comfortable sharing) how much money are you getting in stipends? And what sort of time requirement is tied to the stipend?

I've gotten two offers, both funded.

The first offer comes with a $16,000 stipend per year - I would be teaching my own undergrad course beginning in September. Teaching right off the bat makes me nervous because I've never taught before.

The second offer is $12,000 per semester, but I wouldn't get a stipend (or have an assistantship) until the second semester. So my first year stipend would be $12,000 and my second year I would get the full $24,000. 

I just want to see how these offers align with offers other applicants are getting. I hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there x 

One (private school, #23) is offering $45K per year, no work requirement with an additional $4K per year with 20 hour work requirement, however this fellowship isn't offered to more than one student and is mostly for PhD students across the university. Another (public, highly ranked) is offering $10K per year, 10 hour work requirement. 

On 3/9/2023 at 11:12 AM, cornchip said:

Has anyone heard from VCU sculpture?? It's getting really late to not have heard anything at all

Accepted via phone on 03.04.23, interview was on 03.02.23

14 hours ago, blueangel said:

not sure if you were asking me, but I got an email that there was a status change and logged in and clicked on the application, then saw the decision. 

Ah okay thx! I guess Im waitlisted then in yet another program.