MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

On 10/15/2022 at 7:59 PM, Gaara said:

Ahhh I see, definitely would avoid that place especially seeing that a successful alumni advises against it. 

I was thinking about applying to Yale for painting/printmaking. Class of 2022 for painting/printmaking looks like it was around 50 students and I heard they get around 1,000+ applicants for each area of focus. So basically the typical 5% acceptance rate....for every 20 applicants 1 gets in.

And of those accepted, most will receive little to no scholarship as they state on the website, “Most students pursuing Master's degrees do not receive financial support from the Graduate School and are responsible for paying tuition, but some programs offer limited funding.” So for 9 months it will legit be like 75k….program is 2 years so 150k:/

I like 2 out of the 3 painting/printmaking professors at Yale.  I tried convincing myself to apply to Yale because I love all the stories about how cut throat and brutally honest critique is, but it just doesn’t seem worth it for me. Other programs have insanely talented professors without the debt. Does anyone know why artists are so obsessed with Yale? Would love to know 

Why Yale. Very simple!

Because it's one of the legendary programs which can be a "golden ticket" into the contemporary art world.

https://i-d.vice.com/en/article/bj3jvz/this-is-what-its-like-to-get-a-yale-school-of-art-mfa-degree

and

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/mfa-degree-successful-artists-620891

"Yale and the “Power Law”
If you can, is it worth going to graduate school for art, though? The answer is fairly clear. Yes—if you go to Yale.

Over this 50-year period, Yale’s Graduate School of Art has pumped out nearly 10 percent of all our successful artists."

Indeed, Yale is that important.

On 10/18/2022 at 8:32 PM, f0untain said:

Hello everybody,

Knew a forum like this existed but nice to actually join in! 

Anyone currently at an MFA program with other students in your cohort that came directly from undergrad straight into grad school? Or does this even happen? Do schools bother looking at portfolios that are fresh out of undergrad?

I know that top tier MFA programs prefer to avoid this. Definitely not Yale or Columbia usually.

4 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Why Yale. Very simple!

Because it's one of the legendary programs which can be a "golden ticket" into the contemporary art world.

https://i-d.vice.com/en/article/bj3jvz/this-is-what-its-like-to-get-a-yale-school-of-art-mfa-degree

and

If you can, is it worth going to graduate school for art, though? The answer is fairly clear. Yes—if you go to Yale.

Over this 50-year period, Yale’s Graduate School of Art has pumped out nearly 10 percent of all our successful artists."

Personally, if I was looking for a golden ticket I would apply to one school only until I get in and that school would be UCLA. The LA art scene is arguably not just the best in the U.S. but the best in the world. If you get into UCLA your entire career is set. As opposed to Yale where maybe one person out of every class makes it. 

Update on the UGA situation for anyone applying:

They said this is their first year going away from SlideRoom. And now that they are going through Slate where they want a pdf no larger than 10MB....it is significantly lowering the quality of the photos I took of my art. If you have detailed work like myself this is probably a dealbreaker for you. They literally said I can be the "guinea pig" and risk uploading a portfolio to Slate that is larger than the requested 10MB limit. Sucks because UGA was one of my safer fully funded schools that I felt I had a good chance of getting into, but oh well...it is what it is, don't think I'll be applying. 

8 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Why Yale. Very simple!

and

And, what is not being said, it is now tuition FREE.

Thanks to a generous $150 million gift made by the David Geffen Foundation in 2021, all full-time students in degree and certificate programs will receive 100 percent tuition support, in perpetuity.

So, yes, its very important and an inflection point.

36 minutes ago, Boolakanaka said:

And, what is not being said, it is now tuition FREE.

Thanks to a generous $150 million gift made by the David Geffen Foundation in 2021, all full-time students in degree and certificate programs will receive 100 percent tuition support, in perpetuity.

So, yes, its very important and an inflection point.

Yale's MFA programs are tuition free? I was almost 100% sure that they only give need based scholarships and maybe 1 full ride to someone with an outstanding portfolio. 

Their website: 

"Scholarship is need-based and only awarded to accepted students who’ve applied for aid and have demonstrated need. The maximum scholarship for first-year students does not exceed tuition costs."  

Edited by Gaara

Hey everyone, this is my second year applying... I got in to a program last year but decided it wasn't the right fit.

last year I only applied to two programs and all of my painting photos were cropped (not pictured hanging on white wall)

Even though I got into a program with a portfolio like that, I am wondering if it would be more beneficial for all of my paintings to be shot on a white wall with the edge of the canvas showing even if the schools website and portfolio instructions do not specifically ask for that.

I have been having a difficult time attending a lot of the open grad houses because of my work schedule so thought I would come here for some clarification. Unfortunately I think this is something I should have learned more about in undergrad but here we are. Thanks for any feedback.

3 hours ago, Inthemiddleofariddle said:

Hey everyone, this is my second year applying... I got in to a program last year but decided it wasn't the right fit.

last year I only applied to two programs and all of my painting photos were cropped (not pictured hanging on white wall)

Even though I got into a program with a portfolio like that, I am wondering if it would be more beneficial for all of my paintings to be shot on a white wall with the edge of the canvas showing even if the schools website and portfolio instructions do not specifically ask for that.

I have been having a difficult time attending a lot of the open grad houses because of my work schedule so thought I would come here for some clarification. Unfortunately I think this is something I should have learned more about in undergrad but here we are. Thanks for any feedback.

Sorry in advanced for the long novel I'm about to write. 

Couldn't agree more about the second to last sentence....how do I have my BA in Art but was never given a heads up about the correct way to photograph art for a grad school portfolio, important stuff to include in a statement of purpose/artist statement, etc....seems like that should be an entire course required for art majors but hey what do I know lol. 

You should definitely show your entire drawing. Artwork shouldn't be cropped to the edge or have a black boarder. I made the mistake of cropping my art the first time applying and although you still got accepted to one program, cropping to the edge is an unprofessional look that art committee's will definitely knock you for. Every school should let students know this under the "Portfolio Requirements" section but they don't. Only school that actually says it on their website is Yale. They say this: 

"In the review process, the admissions committee is concerned with scale and the tactility of the work. For this reason, paintings and drawings must be photographed showing the edge of the work. Paintings and drawings must not be digitally masked in black to the edges of the work. " 

^^ This applies to any program you apply to. 

I suggest having a professional take pictures of your work, it'll cost around $300-$500 for a 20-piece portfolio but it's worth it. Or maybe you know a photography friend that can help you out. 

What program did you end up not going to? I'm just curious as to why you applied and realized it wasn't a good fit. 

Goodluck!

12 hours ago, Gaara said:

Sorry in advanced for the long novel I'm about to write. 

Couldn't agree more about the second to last sentence....how do I have my BA in Art but was never given a heads up about the correct way to photograph art for a grad school portfolio, important stuff to include in a statement of purpose/artist statement, etc....seems like that should be an entire course required for art majors but hey what do I know lol. 

You should definitely show your entire drawing. Artwork shouldn't be cropped to the edge or have a black boarder. I made the mistake of cropping my art the first time applying and although you still got accepted to one program, cropping to the edge is an unprofessional look that art committee's will definitely knock you for. Every school should let students know this under the "Portfolio Requirements" section but they don't. Only school that actually says it on their website is Yale. They say this: 

"In the review process, the admissions committee is concerned with scale and the tactility of the work. For this reason, paintings and drawings must be photographed showing the edge of the work. Paintings and drawings must not be digitally masked in black to the edges of the work. " 

^^ This applies to any program you apply to. 

I suggest having a professional take pictures of your work, it'll cost around $300-$500 for a 20-piece portfolio but it's worth it. Or maybe you know a photography friend that can help you out. 

What program did you end up not going to? I'm just curious as to why you applied and realized it wasn't a good fit. 

Goodluck!

Hey no worries I appreciate the response! Thank you, I applied to usc last year and was accepted but I didn’t connect with the staff very well and there was absolutely no funding and also not a guarantee I would able to TA at all. It seemed unlikely. 

I went to ucla for undergrad but was a transfer student and I was only there three semesters in person because of Covid so that’s probably why  I never really learned much about documentation haha so I feel a little clueless.

Anyway yes I am going to probably invest in good photos and make sure my portfolio is professional. I had a feeling and I think it’s probably to be better safe than sorry. Hopefully I won’t have to apply a third year !! 

1 hour ago, Inthemiddleofariddle said:

Hey no worries I appreciate the response! Thank you, I applied to usc last year and was accepted but I didn’t connect with the staff very well and there was absolutely no funding and also not a guarantee I would able to TA at all. It seemed unlikely. 

I went to ucla for undergrad but was a transfer student and I was only there three semesters in person because of Covid so that’s probably why  I never really learned much about documentation haha so I feel a little clueless.

Anyway yes I am going to probably invest in good photos and make sure my portfolio is professional. I had a feeling and I think it’s probably to be better safe than sorry. Hopefully I won’t have to apply a third year !! 

You made a very smart choice trusting your gut and not going to usc. 

Glad I could help! I feel you...Idk what I'd do if I had to go through this process again...I only applied to 3 schools my first time doing this...I'm not messing around this time tho, I'm applying to 8. Hope we all get in to our top choices. 

Goodluck! 

20 hours ago, Gaara said:

Yale's MFA programs are tuition free? I was almost 100% sure that they only give need based scholarships and maybe 1 full ride to someone with an outstanding portfolio. 

Their website: 

"Scholarship is need-based and only awarded to accepted students who’ve applied for aid and have demonstrated need. The maximum scholarship for first-year students does not exceed tuition costs."  

I think it's a recent change in fact that Yale is doing full rides only for drama students now :o. Got some moolah recently from what I heard.

https://news.yale.edu/2021/06/30/gift-david-geffen-yales-drama-school-goes-tuition-free

The David Geffen funding doesn't work for art MFAs sorry :o

Edited by SocialKonstruct

2 hours ago, Gaara said:

Glad I could help! I feel you...Idk what I'd do if I had to go through this process again...I only applied to 3 schools my first time doing this...I'm not messing around this time tho, I'm applying to 8. Hope we all get in to our top choices. 

Goodluck! 

USC still is trying to recover its program after its disaster years ago. Even though I am trying to place myself in LA or NY areas, I went with Calarts, UCLA, and Art Center.

Hi everyone, 

In the weeds with these apps. Phew.

I have a question about sending your statement and portfolio to recommenders. I'll be wrapping up my statement in a few days, but don't have plans to photograph my portfolio until mid December. My deadlines are Jan 9 and 15. I want as much time as possible to put finishing touches on my pieces.

However, my recommenders would like to see my statement and portfolio so they can write their letters. For Jan 9 and 15 deadlines, should I send the statement to my recommenders first and then the portfolio images in mid December? I know this might be cutting it close. Otherwise, I could try to take decent photos of the works as they are now and send recommenders both the statement and photos sooner. 

Also - What is the recommended time to photograph your portfolio pieces? I estimated two weeks for any digital retouching and then uploading to the sites. Like I mentioned, I could use the time to get everything in the best shape possible.

Thanks all. Best of luck and hope everyone gets into their top schools! It can be a stressful time getting these apps done, but we're going to make it. :)

2 minutes ago, sunflowertime said:

Hi everyone, 

I have a question about sending your statement and portfolio to recommenders. I'll be wrapping up my statement in a few days, but don't have plans to photograph my portfolio until mid December. My deadlines are Jan 9 and 15. I want as much time as possible to put finishing touches on my pieces.

However, my recommenders would like to see my statement and portfolio so they can write their letters. For Jan 9 and 15 deadlines, should I send the statement to my recommenders first and then the portfolio images in mid December? I know this might be cutting it close. Otherwise, I could try to take decent photos of the works as they are now and send recommenders both the statement and photos sooner. 

Also - What is the recommended time to photograph your portfolio pieces? I estimated two weeks for any digital retouching and then uploading to the sites. Like I mentioned, I could use the time to get everything in the best shape possible.

Thanks all. Best of luck and hope everyone gets into their top schools! It can be a stressful time getting these apps done, but we're going to make it. :)

I would give about 1-2 months to get photographs done of your works. For me, I had a bunch of tapestries and paintings which took me nearly 12 months to do due to a long lead time :).

15 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

I think it's a recent change in fact that Yale is doing full rides now :o. Got some moolah recently from what I heard.

Okay so I called Yale's Art Department, their Registrar and Admissions to be exact, and spoke with a nice lady. She said the Yale School of Art isn't fully funded, it is need based and you find out how much you'll get after you interview and get accepted. 

The fully funded program at Yale is through their school of drama, which is completely different from the School of Art where students paint, draw, etc.  

1 minute ago, Gaara said:

Okay so I called Yale's Art Department, their Registrar and Admissions to be exact, and spoke with a nice lady. She said the Yale School of Art isn't fully funded, it is need based and you find out how much you'll get after you interview and get accepted. 

The fully funded program at Yale is through their school of drama, which is completely different from the School of Art where students paint, draw, etc.  

I don't want to mention this but apparently Yale factors in your PARENTS' income into the equation!

That isn't equitable. Even though my mom helps me, I still live independently and I shouldn't have my parents' finances being looked at for any MFA programs! :o

21 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

USC still is trying to recover its program after its disaster years ago. Even though I am trying to place myself in LA or NY areas, I went with Calarts, UCLA, and Art Center.

Exactly, hard to recover from what they did in 2014. For people that don't know, USC promised their art grad students funding and cut the funding...which made all the art grad students walkout and leave the program. Pretty messed up to promise something then go back on that promise, wouldn't trust USC, all artists should boycott that place. 

I'm also trying to place myself in big art cities, LA, Chicago, Atlanta.

10 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

I don't want to mention this but apparently Yale factors in your PARENTS' income into the equation!

That isn't equitable. Even though my mom helps me, I still live independently and I shouldn't have my parents' finances being looked at for any MFA programs! :o

Yes, this is why I am not applying to Yale lol. The Yale School of Art is a great place to apply if your parents are broke, then maybe they will give you a full ride. If both of your parents make over six figures combined then forget about it....you'll be over six figures in debt after 2 years of grad school....and let me tell you, you won't be paying that off with an adjunct professor position LMAO. 

20 minutes ago, sunflowertime said:

Hi everyone, 

I would wrap up your written statements ASAP then take basic photos of your art with your iphone. Just let them know "This is everything that will be in my portfolio. I will get better photographs taken but this should give you a good idea of the artwork I make" 

Therefore, at least your recommenders will have a month to write your letters. Most likely, it will only take them a day but professors are usually really busy around this time of year. 

And assuming you already have a photographer, it should take 2-3 hours for them to photograph a 20 piece portfolio of 2D work...and about a week for editing them and sending you the final proofs, depending on how booked their schedule is. 

You are really only applying to two programs? Which ones? That January 9th deadline sounds like UCLA 

1 hour ago, Gaara said:

I would wrap up your written statements ASAP then take basic photos of your art with your iphone. Just let them know "This is everything that will be in my portfolio. I will get better photographs taken but this should give you a good idea of the artwork I make" 

Therefore, at least your recommenders will have a month to write your letters. Most likely, it will only take them a day but professors are usually really busy around this time of year. 

And assuming you already have a photographer, it should take 2-3 hours for them to photograph a 20 piece portfolio of 2D work...and about a week for editing them and sending you the final proofs, depending on how booked their schedule is. 

You are really only applying to two programs? Which ones? That January 9th deadline sounds like UCLA 

Hi Gaara, thanks for the sound advice. I am aiming to have iPhone images and the statement ready to send to recommenders by the weekend.

I'm applying to UCLA, Yale, and Hunter.

2 minutes ago, sunflowertime said:

Hi Gaara, thanks for the sound advice. I am aiming to have iPhone images and the statement ready to send to recommenders by the weekend.

I'm applying to UCLA, Yale, and Hunter.

No problem! 

That's a very small and focused list, wishing you the best of luck : ) 

6 hours ago, Gaara said:

Goodluck! 

Yes I think so too! And I feel you I am applying to six programs, and I feel overwhelmed, I can't imagine 8! But It's good to keep your options open!! Best of luck to you too, I hope we all get in to our top choices as well :)

36 minutes ago, Inthemiddleofariddle said:

Yes I think so too! And I feel you I am applying to six programs, and I feel overwhelmed, I can't imagine 8! But It's good to keep your options open!! Best of luck to you too, I hope we all get in to our top choices as well :)

Glad I'm not the only one...this sh*t is overwhelming af LOL! You write the perfect statement of purpose/artist statement for one program that has a 1,000 word limit then the next program somehow thinks it's cool to have 500 word limit, how they expect people to cut they already perfect written statement in half. Then your also creating art and getting it photographed....then they have the audacity to want to interview you too as if all the work you put in isn't enough haha

Thanks! And same : ) 

1 hour ago, Inthemiddleofariddle said:

I applied to 11 :D