MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

1 hour ago, u54rterytuuyrtrtrty said:

I got waitlisted at Yale sculpture. Do waitlists move aat yale? 

Same here but for graphic design😩I think it all comes down to luck if anyone would give up a spot and the school would pick u from the waiting pool... I'm sure it happened before, but it's mostly luck at this point...

5 minutes ago, Fawn said:

Same here but for graphic design😩I think it all comes down to luck if anyone would give up a spot and the school would pick u from the waiting pool... I'm sure it happened before, but it's mostly luck at this point...

same here 

3 hours ago, blueangel said:

For those who have been accepted to Pratt Painting, I'm a bit confused as I have my interview this Friday. Do they just accept people on a rolling basis? I thought they'd interview everyone before accepting them?

I am assuming they have rolling admissions — the website says “January 5th is the priority deadline to be considered for both admission and scholarship, however applications will continue to be accepted on an ongoing basis until programs have filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply early in order to ensure timely consideration.” 

I was just rejected from Yale, so this narrows down my list a little. My best offer is from Tyler (full tuition for both years and livable stipend the first year, TA the second year)

I also got into SAIC but the financial aid does not look promising. I'm waiting to hear back from VCU about financial aid and I'm hopeful it could be comparable to Tyler. 

Is anyone going to visit the schools they got into to speak to students, see the facilities, and get a sense of the place to help make the decision?

11 hours ago, anonymousartstudent said:

hey I am wondering if u are an U.S citizen? If so, how do you apply for Fulbright for schools in the U.S? Just curious, I thought it is either for US citizens to study abroad or non-US citizens to study in the U.S? 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 

I am dual citizen. Any insights into funding?

2 hours ago, cornchip said:

I was just rejected from Yale, so this narrows down my list a little. My best offer is from Tyler (full tuition for both years and livable stipend the first year, TA the second year)

I also got into SAIC but the financial aid does not look promising. I'm waiting to hear back from VCU about financial aid and I'm hopeful it could be comparable to Tyler. 

Is anyone going to visit the schools they got into to speak to students, see the facilities, and get a sense of the place to help make the decision?

Congrats on Tyler! I have been chatting with some of the current students to get a good sense of the (painting) program and will be visiting in about a week to sit in on some classes and speak with the faculty. Honestly speaking to current students has been super helpful in getting an idea what the community is like in the program. I did do a road trip last fall to visit most of the schools I applied to and it really did completely change how I felt about them, being there in person. Like VCU for instance had been on the top of my list and then after my visit, I knew it wouldn't be a spectacular fit for me. 

4 hours ago, mfahopefulfunding said:

I am dual citizen. Any insights into funding?

You can try looking into the Soros Fellowship for New Americans; very generous financial support of $90k towards tuition and stipend. https://www.pdsoros.org/apply/fellowship-financial-support (You have to be either an immigrant or both your parents are immigrants, and 30 years old or under.) Although the deadline has passed so you'll have to apply for next year.

I'm currently doing a Fulbright in Asia, but as a research fellow and not as a student in a matriculating degree program. If you have any questions about the process, feel free to direct message me, but I think the process might be very different for foreign students applying to study in the U.S. Also you should double check to see if having dual citizenship disqualifies you -- I remember seeing that in the eligibility section for some countries. My Fulbright application was the hardest thing I've had to write ever -- lots of prep work and reaching out to people, and I recommend starting on it early.

You might also find other scholarship opportunities via IIE (Institute of International Education): https://www.iie.org/scholarships-programs/

Besides that, I'd recommend looking into fully funded (or close to fully funded) programs like Northwestern, Rutgers, VCU, U-Conn, etc. etc.  Or look into the schools you're interested in and see if they provide college-wide funding opportunities.

Good luck!

When would Hunter announce their final acceptance..?

According to the past records in Grad Cafe, it seems approximately like 11 of March

But so anxious for my results... 

Since the interview itself was pretty relaxed and general so I can't even guess how would they decide about my status 

Edited by painterJJ

Finally heard from UGA- waitlisted! I feel incredibly neutral about this result 🤷‍♀️

Looks like Indiana it is! (unless Iowa comes out of the woodwork with anything but an incredibly delayed rejection)

Pleased to say that i'm done with the grad school process, thank you to everyone that has contributed to the forum its been very insightful and a lovely warm sense of community. 

RISD painting - Accepted Feb 14. (full ride) 

Yale Painting/printmaking - Accepted March 4. (waiting for $$)

Its my first time going through the Grad school process and I really took my chances with the two schools I saw that best fit my art/personality. I learned a lot and did receive a lot of help and guidance throughout applications. For those in the future who are thinking about applying to Yale, I would deffs say the secondary portfolio (the studies/ what you're working on) is very important and the question how do you see yourself within the Yale community? Feel free to reach out, now that the wait is over my mind is no longer in a blur and am v hopeful for the progression within my practice!!! Congrats to everyone for going through the strenuous application process, it shows a lot of love and care towards your art. 

Update for me: While I still got a few shots to get into some programs, it's looking like my top choices will all probably be a no.

Decided today to take that as a challenge and opportunity for growth, so I applied to the Post-Bac programs at CU Boulder and UMass Dartmouth. 

I think I might have to do a 1 year program, really improve my practice, and come back in another year for a second round, if I don't end up off the waitlist at Boise State, or get an offer from NMSU.

Still waiting to see how funding unfolds, but already thinking about reapplying next year. What's the decorum for asking letter of rec providers? Is it gauche/lame to ask the same people? What have those who've applied a few rounds done? Thank you in advance :)

22 minutes ago, bloopers said:

Still waiting to see how funding unfolds, but already thinking about reapplying next year. What's the decorum for asking letter of rec providers? Is it gauche/lame to ask the same people? What have those who've applied a few rounds done? Thank you in advance :)

I don't think it's a bad thing to ask the same people. I asked one of my previous recommenders to write a new, updated letter for me, and got into my top choice (Yale) after the second try.

Some schools that use Slate as their online application system also allow you to recycle previous letters that have already been submitted to them, you can just opt to "import from previous application" or something like that (I know both Yale and Columbia have this option).

Updates!

SAIC (Low-res) - No Interview. Admitted. Funding at about 30% grant (including work-study)and 70% loans. I've sent emails about funding inquiry to possibly appeal/negotiate but they are not responsive. Not sure if I will try to call/schedule Financial Aid because the cost of attendance is just too high without other scholarships.

Bard (MFA Film/Video) - Interviewed. Admitted (through phone call this morning by program/discipline co-chair, admission letter/offer will be sent out 3/10 Friday). Waiting on funding info. Really considering this since it has the longest in-person residency among the other low-res programs (I'm a non-traditional student, parent, and spouse in my late 30s), and I am really excited about the film/video faculty and program structure.

Rooting for everyone! Decision season it is! :)

First year applying for MFA as an international student and have been lurking in this forum. I think my application basically ends at this point, and I am assuming rejections by programs that I have yet to hear back from. 

Stanford MFA Art Practice - rejected 

UC Berkeley MFA Art Practice - rejected 

UCLA MFA Interdisciplinary Studio - No words, assumed rejected 

Northwestern MFA - rejected

U Chicago MFA - waitlisted 

SAIC MFA Sculpture - accepted 

SAIC MFA Art and Tech - accepted 

RISD MFA Digital + Media - accepted 

Calarts MFA Art and Tech - accepted 

Definitely learned a lot during the process, and I guess universities are just not for me 😕

Being an international student I was also unable to apply for financial aids at many schools, I think my current top choice is either SAIC or RISD, and still waiting for UChi. Would love to hear about people's opinions on these two schools. 

Edited by PWT_136