MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Hey guys, updating my college decisions for MFA/MA Graphic Design:

US

1. RISD - Rejected
  2. Yale - Rejected
  3. CalArts - Accepted (Awaiting $ Details)
  4. SAIC - Rejected
  5. Pratt - Accepted (Awaiting $ Details)
  6. CCA - Accepted (50% $)
  7. VCUArts - Waitlisted
  8. MICA - Accepted (35% $)
  9. Boston University SVA- Accepted (85% $)
  10. UIC - Accepted (25% $ and TAship for 2nd year with 5k stipend per semester)

UK/EU

1. Central Saint Martins - Accepted
  2. Aalto - Interview soon
  3. Glasgow School of Art - Rejected
  4. London College of Communication - Accepted
  5. Royal College of Art (2nd round) - Silence
  6. Royal Danish Academy - Silence

I like all these colleges and I can afford to go into debt to a certain extent. I have no idea if my priority should be to choose a college which is the most economically feasible or the one which is ranked highly!

Edited by risaurus

9 minutes ago, risaurus said:

US

1. RISD - Rejected
  2. Yale - Rejected
  4. SAIC - Rejected
  7. VCUArts - Waitlisted
  9. Boston University - Accepted (85% $)

UK/EU

4. Royal College of Art (2nd round) - Silence
  5. Royal Danish Academy - Silence

I like all these colleges and I can afford to go into debt to a certain extent. I have no idea if my priority should be to choose a college which is the most economically feasible or the one which is ranked highly!

Congrats on all the acceptances!

Personally, I'd say if you can afford to go into a certain amount of debt, might as well go to whichever you think will help your artistic growth (and connections in the industry) the most. If that means the most expensive one, then go for it!

What are you leaning towards right now?

2 minutes ago, AJJAY said:

Congrats on all the acceptances!

Personally, I'd say if you can afford to go into a certain amount of debt, might as well go to whichever you think will help your artistic growth (and connections in the industry) the most. If that means the most expensive one, then go for it!

What are you leaning towards right now?

Thank you! CalArts or MICA are my top choices currently.

13 minutes ago, risaurus said:

US

1. RISD - Rejected
  2. Yale - Rejected
  4. SAIC - Rejected
  7. VCUArts - Waitlisted
  9. Boston University - Accepted (85% $)

UK/EU

4. Royal College of Art (2nd round) - Silence
  5. Royal Danish Academy - Silence

I studied abroad at CSM for a semester and I really liked it there. I think everyone is pretty talented and also the professors are well established too. But the education system between the UK and the U.S is very different. When I was at CSM(for fine art), I only got one class every week. It is mostly just you working on your own in your studio. Not sure about other majors, but for fine art it is literally just one class every week. I hope this helps.

23 minutes ago, yallselah said:

Anyone else applying for the Notre Dame photo MFA?

Passed the first interview and have been invited out in-person for a second interview at the end of this month. Notre Dame seems to be much later than the rest for selecting a candidate.

When did the faculty reach out for the first interview? Thanks.

2 hours ago, Mar-Kiece said:

: 0 did you get in? My portal hasn't been updated 

I did an interview with UCSD and also got the portal update that I was rejected. Was definitely a bit disappointed as I felt the interview went well and that the program was a good fit for me, but what can you do. Hoping this means either an acceptance or at least waitlist for you though!

16 minutes ago, d.arren said:

I did an interview with UCSD and also got the portal update that I was rejected. Was definitely a bit disappointed as I felt the interview went well and that the program was a good fit for me, but what can you do. Hoping this means either an acceptance or at least waitlist for you though!

Oh wow I am so sorry to hear that, thank you so much for sharing though. I guess I just to wait and see for Monday then.

2 hours ago, yallselah said:

Anyone else applying for the Notre Dame photo MFA?

Passed the first interview and have been invited out in-person for a second interview at the end of this month. Notre Dame seems to be much later than the rest for selecting a candidate.

Looking at that program now. They only seem to accept one person/year per field.

7 hours ago, IvyCons said:

Has any one heard from SMACT???

are you waiting for an interview invitation or their decision? I applied in 2019 and 2020 and got interviewed in both years. Their interview invitations went out around mid-Feb in both years. They should have finished all the interviews by now. Good luck :)

I'm panicking because I just finished my interview with Pratt Painting and I overprepared by having a transparent sticky which made me more nervous and I feel like it didn't go well. I kept stumbling over my words and I don't even think I answered one of their questions sighh.

Is there a delay in Columbia’s decision this year? People normally received acceptance calls within two weeks after the interview from previous years. So far there is only one person got accepted to sound concentration. What happened to visual arts? Any updates anyoneI am losing hope….

Edited by anonymousartstudent