2023 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

melch

17 minutes ago, northeast_hopeful said:

Three of mine are professors (along with the roles I mentioned) so hopefully I'm competitive ? Although I do know some people from industry who applied to Stanford BMI and got in, I'm assuming most of their recs were from bosses/supervisors. 

Fingers crossed.

I'm applying to Stanford Genetics. BMI is my second choice. I made the switch between the two programs because hopefully nepotism will get me into Stanford. Hahaha

10 minutes ago, tarnished-compbio said:

Canadian applicant, only applying to a handful of schools (aimed at specific PIs of interest)

1. UW (GS and MCB)

2. Berkeley (CompBio)

3. CMU-Pitt (CompBio)

4. UC Irvine (MCSB)

5. JHU (CS) 

Stats:

- B.Sc in Comp Sci and Molecular Bio from Canadian university, currently finishing up M.Sc from top 3 Canadian university

- 3.7 undergrad GPA, 4.0 graduate GPA

- 6 years of research experience, 1 first author preprint, 1 first author in progress, 1 second author pub, 1 second author in review, 2 middle author pubs

- 3 LORs from current and past PIs

I know I'm not applying to many schools, not sure how competitive I actually am as an international student

It's a good idea to target professors-of-interest. However, keep in mind that some professors might've left their roles recently and still retain a dormant role in the university. In this case, we might not be able to work with them even though their names are still on the university website.

I got interviews from Penn GCB and UCSF today. Really excited for both, I love a lot of the work the faculty do in those two. UCLA has sent out bioinformatics interviews but I didn't get one so I'm assuming soft rejection for that as of right now. For Penn GCB, they said to notify them by December 29th so I think they might send out more interviews if people reject but not sure. 

Applied (19): MIT CSB, Harvard BIG, Stanford BMI, UW Genome Sciences, Wash U DBBS CSB, CMU-Pitt JCB, Cornell Tri-I, Rutgers Molecular Biosciences, Yale CBB, UCSF, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Princeton QCB, UPenn GCB, Duke CBB, UNC Chapel Hill BCB, UCSD BSB, Caltech Bioengineering, Brown Comp Bio
Interview: - UNC Chapel Hill BCB, Duke CBB, UPenn GCB, UCSF
Rejected: -
Accepted: -

10 hours ago, melch said:

It's a good idea to target professors-of-interest. However, keep in mind that some professors might've left their roles recently and still retain a dormant role in the university. In this case, we might not be able to work with them even though their names are still on the university website.

I've reached out to my top professors from these programs so I at least know they are looking for new students this cycle!

Hello Everyone,

I hope everyone gets into the programs that will provide them a great future.

I also recieved the interview invitation from Duke CBB but haven't heard from UNC. I assume that I am rejected since the interviews are sent but I was wondering if any international students recieved the interview mail ? Do you think they might send the international applicants interviews later on or should I remove UNC from my "wait for mail" list.

Also I havent seen many people who applied to Berkeley in this forum, but it had one of the earliest deadlines so I believe it should have sent the interview mails before Duke. Has anyone heard anything from Berkeley? 

Thank you all!

1 hour ago, melch said:

I think all the interview invitations for Harvard BBS were sent out yesterday. I didn't get one.

Correction: The Program Director told me that the interview invitations will ALL be sent out by next week.

On 12/16/2022 at 10:03 AM, melch said:

My boss, who is the HoD at Stanford, mentioned that we need at least three letters from full professors to be competitive.

No, the difference between full prof/associate is just years of being tenured, does not reflect the overall field reputation too much. There is not much difference there, but strong letters from tenure-tracked faculty members is probably needed. 

2 hours ago, compbio99 said:

Has anyone received interview invites from Yale BBS specifically the CBB track or Columbia Biological Sciences specifically the systems biology track?

Still waiting. But I applied to Columbia Biomedical Informatics as my first choice and Sys Bio as second choice.

4 hours ago, compbio99 said:

Has anyone received interview invites from Yale BBS specifically the CBB track or Columbia Biological Sciences specifically the systems biology track?

I applied to Yale's EMD which had the deadline on 12/15/2022 and I'm waiting.
It's been only 5 days but the wait is hard.
Other programs I applied:
MIT CSB
Scripps Chemical and Biological Sciences
Stanford EcoEvo
WSU IID
Harvard Virology.

BSc in Biotechnology, M.Sc(c) in Microbiology, 6 years of full-time research experience with 14 publications (3 1st author)

Edited by RicardoRH
Missing details

US-based applicant

Undergrad at University of Michigan, double major in Cellular and Molecular Bio (honors), Data Science

GPA 3.8

3 years part-time undergrad comp bio research

3 years full time bioinformatics research in an immunology lab 

1 co-authored pub, 1 in-preparation co-first publication

2nd time applying.

Schools:

1. MIT CSB

2. Stanford BMI

3. University of Chicago GGSB

4. Hopkins BME

5. NIH Grad Partnership Program w/Oxford+Cambridge

6. Wisconsin Biomedical Data Science

7. Michigan Bioinf

8. WUSTL Bioinf and Data Sci

9. UCSF Bioinf

10. Northwestern Driskill Grad Program

11. UNC BBSP 

12. Duke Computational Bio and Bioinf

13. Oregon Health Sciences University  bioinformatics and computational biomedicine

14. Pittsburgh Biomedical Informatics

15. Uni of Maryland Baltimore County Biological Sciences

Definitely a lot of long-shot schools here, but I think I have also included enough realistic choices? Let me know your thoughts.

Edited by dudewhat
clarity

3 hours ago, tarnished-compbio said:

Just got a rejection from UW MCB, sucks cause it was one of my top choices. I have to put faith into UW Genome Sciences for my top choice now

I saw someone got the interview for UW Genome Sciences