2023 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

melch

1 hour ago, compbio99 said:

Saw on a reddit spreadsheet that Yale sent out CBB interview invites already… 

Can anyone confirm? I haven't seen any mention of it in group chats or on reddit. There's no notes in the row either on the excel, just a checkmark...

8 minutes ago, icegates said:

Can anyone confirm? I haven't seen any mention of it in group chats or on reddit. There's no notes in the row either on the excel, just a checkmark...

FYI someone from the grad admissions discord said their bf (boyfriend?) got an invite for CBB interviews so I guess it's true... F in the chat

1 hour ago, icegates said:

RE: Yale CBB, just spoke with my POI, he said he believes review process isn't completely over yet and other invites should come out shortly - fingers crossed I guess

I spoke to the administrator, Lisa, and she informed that all the invites have been sent out.

Has anyone else heard from Harvard BIG? One person has reported on numerous channels (discord, Reddit, spreadsheet) that he/she received an interview invitation. 

I'm wondering how many people received the invitation. Or whether this is true.

I tried to contact the program director and administrator but the latter is away for the winter break. I asked her the same question last Friday and she told me that the interviews will be out "latest by first week of January," which seems to imply that it won't be THAT soon.

1 hour ago, melch said:

Has anyone else heard from Harvard BIG? One person has reported on numerous channels (discord, Reddit, spreadsheet) that he/she received an interview invitation. 

I'm wondering how many people received the invitation. Or whether this is true.

I tried to contact the program director and administrator but the latter is away for the winter break. I asked her the same question last Friday and she told me that the interviews will be out "latest by first week of January," which seems to imply that it won't be THAT soon.

If anyone can confirm this for Harvard SSQBio as well, that would be great. There has been a report of an interview invite on the reddit spreadsheet, but no tangible confirmation anywhere else.

1 hour ago, tarnished-compbio said:

Well just got a rejection from UW Genome Sciences... bummer

Same it was one of my top choices. I did receive a UCSD BCB invite today though, so not all bad news. 

Applied (19): MIT CSB, Harvard BIG, Stanford BMI, UW Genome Sciences, Wash U DBBS CSB, CMU-Pitt JCB, Cornell Tri-I, Rutgers Molecular Biosciences, Yale CBB, UCSF, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Princeton QCB, UPenn GCB, Duke CBB, UNC Chapel Hill BCB, UCSD BSB, Caltech Bioengineering, Brown Comp Bio
Interview: - UNC Chapel Hill BCB, Duke CBB, UPenn GCB, UCSF. Yale CBB, Rutgers Mol Bio, UCSD BSB, Washu U DBBS, Stanford BMI, UC Berkeley, Princeton QCB, Brown Comp Bio
Rejected: - UW Genome Sciences, UCLA (Waitlist)
Accepted: -

9 minutes ago, northeast_hopeful said:

Same it was one of my top choices. I did receive a UCSD BCB invite today though, so not all bad news. 

Applied (19): MIT CSB, Harvard BIG, Stanford BMI, UW Genome Sciences, Wash U DBBS CSB, CMU-Pitt JCB, Cornell Tri-I, Rutgers Molecular Biosciences, Yale CBB, UCSF, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Princeton QCB, UPenn GCB, Duke CBB, UNC Chapel Hill BCB, UCSD BSB, Caltech Bioengineering, Brown Comp Bio
Interview: - UNC Chapel Hill BCB, Duke CBB, UPenn GCB, UCSF. Yale CBB, Rutgers Mol Bio, UCSD BSB, Washu U DBBS, Stanford BMI, UC Berkeley, Princeton QCB, Brown Comp Bio
Rejected: - UW Genome Sciences, UCLA (Waitlist)

Yeah it was my top choice too, corresponded with a PI who said my experience looked like a great fit for his lab... just that the program is competitive. Unfortunate

Just received an interview invite from Tri-I Comp Bio!!

Interview: - UNC Chapel Hill BCB, Duke CBB, UPenn GCB, UCSF. Yale CBB, Rutgers Mol Bio, UCSD BSB, Washu U DBBS, Stanford BMI, UC Berkeley, Princeton QCB, Brown Comp Bio, Tri-I Comp Bio
Rejected: - UW Genome Sciences, Harvard BIG (Silent Rejection), UCLA (Waitlist)

1 hour ago, em_data said:

@northeast_hopeful Congrats on the interview! I also applied to Brown Comp Bio but I haven't heard anything yet, have they started sending out interview requests?

Thank you! They sent a personalized email so I'm not sure if they sent out to everyone. A part of the email stated this:

We have received your application to Brown CCMB PhD program and are very enthusiastic based on our initial review. We think you could be an excellent fit with our program.   

Given our applications were due later than many programs, the full committee will be meeting mid-January and we expect to be able to formally reach out to you with more details. 

I think based on this they might be sending out more interview invites in mid-January but I'm not sure. 

9 hours ago, northeast_hopeful said:

Thank you! They sent a personalized email so I'm not sure if they sent out to everyone. A part of the email stated this:

We have received your application to Brown CCMB PhD program and are very enthusiastic based on our initial review. We think you could be an excellent fit with our program.   

Given our applications were due later than many programs, the full committee will be meeting mid-January and we expect to be able to formally reach out to you with more details. 

I think based on this they might be sending out more interview invites in mid-January but I'm not sure. 

Definitely more interviews to come, my POI said majority of professors haven't yet received applications and that the process "takes quite a while". As you said also, the committee will meet in Jan for formal invites.

• 2 weeks later...