Fall 2011 applications - anyone out there?

periepi2011

Hi there, check on Pitts's homepage. They've delayed their deadline and you still can apply. I've just send my SOPHAS application for MS with the new deadline is June 1.

By the way, any of you apply to CCEB of UPenn? I've applied for MSCE at CCEB of UPenn. Welcome any comments on UPenn and the CCEB then.

Thanks

Hey there! Just discovered this forum, and really wish it had been sooner. I just sent off my application to Tennessee's MS/MPH Public Health Nutrition last night. I'm also applying to both Maryland school's, and started looking at the Texas-Houston MPH program. Unfortunately my submissions to SOPHAS were majorly delayed and I wasn't able to apply to Pitt's MS/MPH program, which I am still extremely interested in....might apply for Spring 2012 as it seems the program accepts for both terms. Anybody else experience major delays w/ SOPHAS? Anyway, good luck to all!

Edited by seajane

forum.studentdoctor.net

subforum: master's in public health

the 2011 app. thread is infinitely more active :)

I'm a member there as well. I totally forgot about that thread/forum (saw it back in November). Thanks for the reminder! Well, somewhat. My nerves probably don't thank you, but I'm done with them anyway. tongue.gif

Shmuey--

You may still be able to apply to Pitt for the Fall. They changed some of their deadlines. Take a look

http://www.publichealth.pitt.edu/interior.php?pageID=100

Hey there! Just discovered this forum, and really wish it had been sooner. I just sent off my application to Tennessee's MS/MPH Public Health Nutrition last night. I'm also applying to both Maryland school's, and started looking at the Texas-Houston MPH program. Unfortunately my submissions to SOPHAS were majorly delayed and I wasn't able to apply to Pitt's MS/MPH program, which I am still extremely interested in....might apply for Spring 2012 as it seems the program accepts for both terms. Anybody else experience major delays w/ SOPHAS? Anyway, good luck to all!

Shmuey--

You may still be able to apply to Pitt for the Fall. They changed some of their deadlines. Take a look

http://www.publichea....php?pageID=100

I would definitely contact the department and check... I know my department (Infectious disease) is still accepting applications even thought the deadline was Jan 3. Also, I know that my SOPHAS app didn't make it by the deadline (but was submitted through SOPHAS by the date) and it didn't seem to be a problem at all. Good luck!

This might have been a mass email, but thought I'd share in case it wasn't. UC Berkeley SPH just emailed to say that my electronic application had been received and that decisions would be emailed by APRIL 15... This app was due/submitted Dec 1(and SOPHAS was mailed by mid-Dec). Does it really take 5 1/2 months to review applications and make decisions?? The email was from SPH admissions, not even my specific program (Infectious Disease and Vaccinology PhD program)...

If they really don't release decisions until 4/15, do they expect us to not commit to other schools by then? Ridiculous. Hopefully that's just a worst case scenario and decisions (at least the good ones) will be out well before then!

Has anyone else been notified of an absurdly late decision like this?

cannot agree you more!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have applied to almost 14 PhD...lost count after a while -12 EHS applications 1 Health Policy and 1 Public Policy.

So far accepted into

OSU- funding options pending

University of Georgia with funding

Interviewed and official transcript requested (applications only require unofficial transcripts) for Health Policy PhD at University of Toronto

Invited for open house by UIC for university housing...don't know what that means...anyone? I wish to go to UIC for my EHS PhD

Rejected by University of Washington, Seattle for EHS PhD

Under grad Dentistry GPA 3.51

Graduate- MPH GPA 3.83

GRE 1290 620 V 670 Q

Edited by dright

I have applied to almost 14 PhD...lost count after a while -12 EHS applications 1 Health Policy and 1 Public Policy.

So far accepted into

OSU- funding options pending

University of Georgia with funding

Interviewed and official transcript requested (applications only require unofficial transcripts) for Health Policy PhD at University of Toronto

Invited for open house by UIC for university housing...don't know what that means...anyone? I wish to go to UIC for my EHS PhD

Rejected by University of Washington, Seattle for EHS PhD

Under grad Dentistry GPA 3.51

Graduate- MPH GPA 3.83

GRE 1290 620 V 670 Q

I got the same UIC e-mail and then nothing. It seemed to be catered to all applicants? I will call if I don't get something by March because I got an e-mail in December that said 6 weeks. I feel like if I call around March, I will give them an adequate amount of time.

Hey has anyone else applied to the NYU Steinhardt- public health PhD or to Columbia University for their Sociomedical science program?

I saw that there was one rejection for the SMS program on the results page but nothing else. I haven't heard anything (good/bad) from either of these programs :(

Hey has anyone else applied to the NYU Steinhardt- public health PhD or to Columbia University for their Sociomedical science program?

I saw that there was one rejection for the SMS program on the results page but nothing else. I haven't heard anything (good/bad) from either of these programs :(

Nothing yet at least from Columbia cannot speak to NYU

I would only apply to the PhD and hope that if they don't accept you into the doctoral they will refer your app to the master's. I think it wouldn't look right to apply to both, and I think a lot will suggest that you apply to the MPH if they don't think you're quite ready for the PhD. Also, MPH deadlines are later so you can always try a few PhD and if they don't work out, then throw your name into the hat for some master's. I'm only applying to PhD and DrPH but I have a small secondary list of schools with March/April deadlines that I will apply to if my first round doesn't come back positive. You need to sift through their requirements carefully. I don't have an MPH yet either and I know it is tricky to figure out which schools will accept without a master's and which won't. It seems to me like I looked into a few of the schools you've mentioned here and they do not accept without, so you may want to double check. Also, if you don't succeed with these, you might want to try University of South Carolina, most of their doc programs will accept without a master's and they have "soft" admissions deadlines. They are also decently ranked. Good luck!

Is anyone out there currently working on public health applications? So many of the public health threads are old, old, OLD!

I'm just getting started on the full application process: SoP, polishing the CV, approaching colleagues for recommendations, etc.

I'm also trying to decide how many schools to apply to. Right now, my list is pretty long: Hopkins, Harvard, UNC-Chapel Hill, UofW, Emory, Columbia, UC-Berkeley, UCLA, and UBC, and is largely based on rank/prestige of the schools. Should I narrow my focus? Or, are these schools so competitive that it makes sense to apply this many?

Ultimately, I want a phd in epidemiology with a focus on perinatal care/maternal child health in the US &/or Canada. I don't yet have one clearly defined project, though I do have a well-defined focus area within perinatal epi: policy & practice to study models of care that support physiologic pregnancy and birth. Some schools allow you to apply to phd without a master's (e.g. jhu, emory), others don't (harvard, UW). So, it is likely that I will be applying to some masters programs and some phd programs depending on the school. And, beyond that, I will be applying to some MPH programs and some MHSc programs, again, depending on the specifics of the school...

My basic background:

3.85 GPA (on 4.3 scale) in a semi-related field from Canadian university

3 years of research experience in a university setting, first as RA, then Research coordinator

I'm an author on approx 6 articles, and more presentations

1440 GRE: 770Q, 670V, 5.5AW

Will I be in the running for these top schools??

How many schools are other people applying to? Which schools? With what kind of qualifications? Any thoughts on applying directly to phd without a master's? What about applying to both phd and master's at the same school? Will that come across as unfocused?

Any advice/comments would be great!