2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

5 hours ago, 2nd year Dal Student said:

Hi everyone, here are some Dal admission updates: 

22 seats have been confirmed. I am not confident in the number of total seats, I think it's around 37 or 38 for SLP and audiology together. There are 10 people who have been offered admission but have not responded though, the deadline to do so is tomorrow. Janet will likely be sending out another round of offers next week. 

There is still hope! And just to repeat some advice I recommended earlier: in the meantime, stay busy, spend time with friends and family, enjoy your hobbies, foster the side of you outside of these applications because you are wayyyy more than what these universities decide ;) 

Do you know how many are for audiology? I think SLP might have somewhere around 25 seats and then 13-14 for Audiology just looking at the timetable for anyone else wondering  

Hi, current U of A student here! 

Prospective / incoming University of Alberta students: give @ oasisuofa a follow on Instagram! In the coming months there should be some info on there for new students, q&a's, etc.! And if you didn't already know, the month of May is Speech and Hearing Month, so there will be some info posted surrounding that as well! 

Looking forward to meeting lots of you in fall!

17 hours ago, Jen SLP said:

Do you know how many are for audiology? I think SLP might have somewhere around 25 seats and then 13-14 for Audiology just looking at the timetable for anyone else wondering  

There are definitely 13 for audiology, I am not too sure how many SLP spots, but likely around 25

11 hours ago, ElizabethSLP said:

Hi all! I just accepted my offer from Dalhousie for SLP and am super excited for the fall! Does anyone know of a group (on FB or WhatsApp etc.) for ppl who've accepted at Dal? :)

Congrats on your acceptance! Partway through the summer, the president of the student council will be making an official fb group that you will use for communication for your entire degree. In the meantime, I do highly encourage you make some sort of chat so you can start connecting with others! Starting the program can be super daunting, walking into a room of almost 40 people may give you major (undeserved) imposter syndrome.

Many of my classmates have said they were either grateful they met up with a few people before classes started for a friendly face or wish they did since the first few classes were scary for them socially. But either way of course, we all became very close and comfortable around each other :) 

Hi all! For those of you who were choosing between schools, I was wondering what choice you picked over the others?? I’m hoping to get some insight on McMaster’s waitlist movement and I’m curious to see where everyone chose to go and why! 

Hello! I just got moved off the McGill waitlist and I'm overwhelmed with gratitude and happiness. Happy crying for a solid 15 minutes here.

Anyone know if there's any group chats or Facebook groups started for McGill? I'm really looking forward to meeting others in the program.

Best of luck everyone!

I wanted to share this podcast here in case people haven't been introduced to it yet. My friend who was accepted into Dal's SLP program a couple years ago sent it to me and it was very helpful. It's a SLP themed podcast by Shannon Briggs (who completed her grad training at UBC) and she talks about grad school application tips, evidence-based treatment, grad school life, she often has guests talkers, and much much more. Here's one of her podcasts: 

1 hour ago, Natalie SLP said:

I received an email this morning that I was accepted to Dalhousie. I've accepted U of T already so I will be declining but wanted to let others know who may be waiting!

I received an offer as well, but already decided on Western!

6 hours ago, Natalie SLP said:

I received an email this morning that I was accepted to Dalhousie. I've accepted U of T already so I will be declining but wanted to let others know who may be waiting!

Thanks for letting us know! Can I ask what date they said you have to respond by? 

Just emailed McMaster to ask about waitlist movement and they said they have reached their target admission this year so they won't be sending out further admissions to people currently on the waitlist, and they can't guarantee if anyone would be moved off the waitlist 

2 hours ago, flyforyourlife said:

Just emailed McMaster to ask about waitlist movement and they said they have reached their target admission this year so they won't be sending out further admissions to people currently on the waitlist, and they can't guarantee if anyone would be moved off the waitlist 

That’s not great to hear…. :(

has anyone heard anything about the movement of Western’s waitlist??