French PhD Fall 2023

GigiSand

• 2 months later...

If you don't mind me asking @San K, why? Because it's not a lot of money for a long time and because of the few available positions after? 

That's what I've been told, but I still wanna try. I know that it's going to be complicated (grad student life lol) but I also know that I want to conduct research and teach because that's what I like doing!

48 minutes ago, GigiSand said:

If you don't mind me asking @San K, why? Because it's not a lot of money for a long time and because of the few available positions after? 

That's what I've been told, but I still wanna try. I know that it's going to be complicated (grad student life lol) but I also know that I want to conduct research and teach because that's what I like doing!

Yeah :( pretty much all of those things! Like I'm aware they're real concerns, but I personally am not fixated on a life in academia; my plans after getting the Ph.D. are more centered around going into government or possibly internationally focused think-tanks. I think a Ph.D. is honestly more worthwhile if the end goal is to produce incredible literature that stems from one's own passion -- in other words, it's not just a means to an end.

• 3 weeks later...

@San K I see... Getting a PhD is definitely a pathway to many possibilities! From what I've heard from postgrads or PhD candidates, more people are trying to do sth else after anyway (mainly because of the lack of positions I guess). If that's what makes you happy and you like research I don't see why you should not give it a try! :D at least that's why I tell myself! Are you applying to many universities? 

Good luck on your applications :D 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 6:08 AM, GigiSand said:

Thank you so much @Carly Rae Jepsen :D as interviews may be approaching for some of us, I was wondering what are the essentials to have in mind according to you!

I think they want to see that you are enthusiastic about this career path, so do mention your specific passions and interests if asked. Also, your spoken French is usually tested too, but casually, not like an examination.

On 1/15/2023 at 10:56 AM, Dannykel said:

Hi guys!

What programs have you applied to?

I applied to mostly UCs and schools in california. Haven't heard back since submitting application though!

Hi! I applied mostly to Northeast schools + Chicago & also UC Berkeley. haven't heard anything from Berkeley yet either!

3 hours ago, croissantqueen said:

I've had 2 schools schedule interviews so far, but still waiting to hear back from the rest!

Congrats on the interviews! Would you mind sharing which schools have already contacted potential interviewees? Merci !!

I saw a few people were rejected from the Cornell Romance Studies program this weekend, with only one acceptance for Spanish. I interviewed for Cornell's French sector last week. So nervous as I watch other people's admissions trickle in and I have zilch on my end. Anyone here one of those waiting for Cornell? Rejected by Cornell? 

• 2 weeks later...