Vanier 2023-2026

s945

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Last I saw it said it was april 11, but I think it might be the 6th or 13th. It seems the results are on a thursday. From what I see on the past forums, it's also between 12pm to 1pm.

Edited by s945

Some quick info for those eagerly waiting, but mostly for students next year. These estimates are rounded and rough, and also a bit old (like 5 years old). Things may have changed. 

There are usually around 1100 applicants in total. A little under 50% of applications get nominated (500 nominees). Around 15% of applicants get funded (max 166). 

The categories you are evaluated on are:

• Academic Excellence
  • Research Potential
  • Leadership (potential and demonstrated ability)

CIHR, SSHRC and NSERC are evaluated separately. You are competing against around 150 nominees (most times more, max 200) in your stream, and they are looking for 55 (sometimes 56) to fund. Your rank received will be out of that, e.g. 32/178.

In the pre-scoring, each category of your package is ranked between 1 and 9 by at least two reviewers. For a nomination to be considered eligible for funding, it must have an average score of at least 3.1 in each of the three categories. The average of the three numbers is then calculated. 

• If you get an average score of 6.1 or higher, you are recommended for the next stage, where all the applications are ranked (at least 40 people are placed here).
  • If you score between 3.1 and 6.1, you're in the maybe pile (at least 40 people are placed here).
  • If you score less than 3.1, it doesn't go forward. (at least 40 people are placed here).
  • Only 1-2 people can be given an average score between 8 and 9.

They are all then ranked by score.

The first 30 people (this is typically around a score of 7.5 or higher for SSHRC, idk for the others), are not discussed by the committee any further. They are automatically selected to be funded. 🎉

Nominees ranked between 31-70 (the next 40 ranked from the yes pile, and the maybe pile) are discussed. The score, rank and whether it gets selected may change in this stage. If there is a tie, they take the person who had the lowest difference in scores from the reviewers. If there is still a tie, they look at the leadership score and pick the higher one. From this, 25 (sometimes 26) are selected for funding.  🎉

Nominees ranked below 70, do not go any further, but you did well! (around 100 people) 🎉

Only 55 (sometimes 56) people are selected. The cut-off is a score around a 7 for SSHRC. This is not fact-based, but anecdotally on past results I've seen. Only a handful of people can get a score between 8 and 9, and the remaining 52 or so are split, about half getting in automatically, with a score between 7.5 and 8, and the rest based on the committee discussion, with a score between 7 and 7.5. (These are my estimates from past scores.)

Those ranked from 56 to 70 may be waitlisted., Around 3 people out of the total 166 winners (55+55+55+1) may decline. So you have a good chance if 56th or 57th. 

If you got nominated, congrats on making it this far! You were in the top 200 of CIHR, SSHRC or NSERC applicants. :) Hopefully we get good results! 🎉

On 3/27/2023 at 10:51 AM, s945 said:

Some quick info for those eagerly waiting, but mostly for students next year. These estimates are rounded and rough, and also a bit old (like 5 years old). Things may have changed. 

There are usually around 1100 applicants in total. A little under 50% of applications get nominated (500 nominees). Around 15% of applicants get funded (max 166). 

The categories you are evaluated on are:

• Academic Excellence
  • Research Potential
  • Leadership (potential and demonstrated ability)

CIHR, SSHRC and NSERC are evaluated separately. You are competing against around 150 nominees (most times more, max 200) in your stream, and they are looking for 55 (sometimes 56) to fund. Your rank received will be out of that, e.g. 32/178.

In the pre-scoring, each category of your package is ranked between 0.1 and 9 by at least two reviewers. For a nomination to be considered eligible for funding, it must have an average score of at least 3.1 in each of the three categories. The average of the three numbers is then calculated. 

• If you get an average score of 6.1 or higher, you are recommended for the next stage, where all the applications are ranked (at least 40 people are placed here).
  • If you score between 3.1 and 6.1, you're in the maybe pile (at least 40 people are placed here).
  • If you score less than 3.1, it doesn't go forward. (at least 40 people are placed here).
  • Only 1-2 people can be given an average score between 8 and 9.

They are all then ranked by score.

The first 30 people (this is typically around a score of 7.5 or higher for SSHRC, idk for the others), are not discussed by the committee any further. They are automatically selected to be funded. 🎉

Nominees ranked between 31-70 (the next 40 ranked from the yes pile, and the maybe pile) are discussed. The score, rank and whether it gets selected may change in this stage. If there is a tie, they take the person who had the lowest difference in scores from the reviewers. If there is still a tie, they look at the leadership score and pick the higher one. From this, 25 (sometimes 26) are selected for funding.  🎉

Nominees ranked below 70, do not go any further, but you did well! (around 100 people) 🎉

Only 55 (sometimes 56) people are selected. The cut-off is a score around a 7 for SSHRC. This is not fact-based, but anecdotally on past results I've seen. Only a handful of people can get a score between 8 and 9, and the remaining 52 or so are split, about half getting in automatically, with a score between 7.5 and 8, and the rest based on the committee discussion, with a score between 7 and 7.5. (These are my estimates from past scores.)

Those ranked from 56 to 70 may be waitlisted., Around 3 people out of the total 166 winners (55+55+55+1) may decline. So you have a good chance if 56th or 57th. 

If you got nominated, congrats on making it this far! You were in the top 200 of CIHR, SSHRC or NSERC applicants. :) Hopefully we get good results! 🎉

Correction:

* Ranked between 0.1 to 9.

I'm nervous too! I tried to estimate my ranking, and managed to convince myself that I have a shot. I'm trying not to worry too much any more.

We did our best. :) I think next week is going to be rough!

Hello everyone,

Nice to meet you all. Been feeling nervous about the upcoming announcement for the past two days after managing to block it out for soo long. Anyways I hear the results will be out in mid-April, so that's probably going to be next week. Let's hope we all get a positive outcome.

I'm also curious about estimating a rank. I will love to hear more. 

@Mmsa I just tried to estimate my score in each of the three categories. It helps that people posted their scores in the older threads, and what they had to get those. From that you can estimate your average. If you have around a 7 you may be somewhere in the 50s. 7.5 is around 30th.

Check out what others posted in the past forums for their scores and what they had in terms of papers, grades etc. Average it out and see. 

Edited by s945
deleting my estimate so it isn't preserved online forever! :D

Also, a friend who won it last year received an email to view the results on ResearchNet on 6th April. The expected announcement date was early-April. So I'm going to take an educated guess and say this year's results will be out 12th/13th.

The expected date of the result is quite complicated. They show different dates:

I am assuming we will receive the results anytime from now. I don't want to wait for more and receive the results. 🥲

1 minute ago, SG1993 said:

The expected date of the result is quite complicated. They show different dates:

I am assuming we will receive the results anytime from now. I don't want to wait for more and receive the results. 🥲

This link would always be the right one. Just keep an eye on this changing. And it's usually between noon and 1pm. :) https://www.researchnet-recherchenet.ca/rnr16/vwOpprtntyDtls.do?prog=3683&view=browseArchive&browseArc=true&org=VANIER&type=EXACT&resultCount=25&next=1

This is what I've been finding online about the dates upon which students have received their Vanier results: April 7, 2022 Thursday ; April 6, 2021 Tuesday ; April 7, 2020 Tuesday ; April 1, 2019 Monday. Based on this, I assume we would get our results anytime this week. However, the ResearchNet link S945 sent us (thank you @s945!) says it will be on the 11th... So I guess we can expect to receive it next week, but still keep a very open eye out for emails this week

Ohhh btw, in 2019, ResearchNet said they would get their results on April 4th, but they got it on the 1st... so maybe we will get it earlier after all!

On ResearchNet, does your submission status still say "In Peer Review"?

Yup! Mine still says in peer review. I don't think that is going to change until results are actually out. Also yes on the dates That's why I said in one of my earlier posts we might get it early on the 6th (after the scheduled maintenance, which ends tomorrow), or late on the 13th, even though they said the 11th. It is sometimes early or late :D:D 

I've actually passed being nervous, and I'm excited now! I think it's knowing there are others on the forum waiting with me. :) 

Ohh I see!! Sorry I missed you saying that in the previous posts 😅 Hopefully we get the results sooner rather than later! And about the "In peer review"; Ok great, thanks for confirming :) I am actually excited too -- Good luck to us all 🙏