s945

1 minute ago, curiousvanierapplicant said:

*Refreshes inbox*

*Refreshes inbox*

*Refreshes inbox*

*Refreshes inbox*

your name having "vanier" in it did me no favours! oh man! 😂

39 minutes ago, fridgezipper said:

I didn't apply to vanier, only CGS/PGS-D, this is me watching everyone in this thread get vanier results while waiting for my CGS/PGS-D results 

536.jpg

saammmmmeee

The refreshing i've done on this thread the past few days is hilarious considering I'm not an applicant haha

40 minutes ago, fridgezipper said:

I didn't apply to vanier, only CGS/PGS-D, this is me watching everyone in this thread get vanier results while waiting for my CGS/PGS-D results 

536.jpg

LMFAO!

I thought to provide a concise summary of my resume for those who may be considering applying for the Vanier scholarship in the future: (I know it is different year by year, but when I was researching about this scholarship, I would have liked to see the resumes of those who won Vanier (or went to the Ottawa stage). I think it gives a general view.)

Last year, my application (Sub-group SSHRC ) was not forwarded to Ottawa by my university. However, this year it was, and I ultimately ranked 103 out of 200 applicants!

Here are the key highlights from my CV: (that I remember now)

Academic Excellence:

This year, I was in the second year of my doctorate: GPA 4
First Master’s degree (from outside Canada): GPA 4
Second Master’s degree (from Canada): 3.91

Peer-reviewed Publication: 4
Conference Publication: 1
Exhibition Publication: 1
Submitted paper: 1
Papers in progress: 2
Conference: 8 (including in-person presentations in Scotland, America, Canada, and some online)
Invited talk (related to my field): 3
Podcast guest on my research topic: 1

Leadership:

Being the High school principal: (with about 50 staff and 300 students): 2 years
High school teaching experience: 7 years
A factory production line supervision experience: 2 years (my bachelor's degree is in engineering, and I worked a few years as an engineer!)
Editor-in-Chief of a student magazine: one year
Experience many years of voluntary work in various charities (I am a Co-founder of a charity that has been active since 2015, working in building schools and educational development in underprivileged areas in the Middle East)
Member of various university and department committees (EDI committee, research committee, etc) and continuous cooperation in organizing various Academic workshops and conferences, cultural and sports events for students, etc.
Worked as a Project Supervisor with many private educational companies outside of Academia
And more!

Research Potential

My Ph.D. research is related to charity and is directly aligned with my leadership activities (in fact, these activities and lived experiences have led me to this field of research)

These are my ranks: (I received yesterday - April 12, 2023)

1. Academic Excellence: 5.32

2. Research Potential: 5.27
3. Leadership: 6.18

Overall Average score: 5.59

Good Luck On Your Vanier Journey!

Edited by Fazi

I got it, surprisingly ranked super high in the top 5 🤔
So far, I've experienced quite awful events in my life and currently going through a very tough depression and PTSD.
Now I should feel rewarded and motivated to work, but I'm not (yet?).
Congrats to everyone who got it. And also congrats to everyone without Vanier for making it this far - you will become amazing scholars and professionals even without this scholarship. Money or prestige is not something that makes you happy or your life worth living. I guess I should refuse the offer saying that.

Edited by AcademicSurvivor

• Academic Excellence: 7.79 (Multiple degrees. All grades above 90% on transcripts)
  • Research Potential: 5.09 (10+ conferences, 2 awards, 2 exhibitions, 2 pending papers)
  • Leadership: 4.99

The leadership one, idk what happened since I've been the chair or member on 10+ committees, senate, a volunteer for well over a decade, work experience as team leader, started community initiatives, created conferences, won previous leadership awards, board member on organisations, and overcame a lot of personal stuff too, etc. I don't know what they are looking for. 

Academic thought i would get a 7 or 7.5, but got almost an 8 so that's great.

Research I thought I would get around low 6 got 5.

For leadership, thought I'd get a high 6, got 5.

Edited by s945

43 minutes ago, AcademicSurvivor said:

I got it, surprisingly ranked super high in the top 5 🤔
So far, I've experienced quite awful events in my life and currently going through a very tough depression and PTSD.
Now I should feel rewarded and motivated to work, but I'm not (yet?).
Congrats to everyone who got it. And also congrats to everyone without Vanier for making it this far - you will become amazing scholars and professionals even without this scholarship. Money or prestige is not something that makes you happy or your life worth living. I guess I should refuse the offer saying that.

Congratulation! Hope everything goes well for you from now on!

1 hour ago, AcademicSurvivor said:

Money or prestige is not something that makes you happy or your life worth living. I guess I should refuse the offer saying that.

Welll... I need the money to live. I am in debt and have no idea what I am going to do for funding right now so might have to drop out to find work... so yeah I disagree!  😂

However, everyone is different, and if it is not for you, you could give it to the next person in line, I guess. It's your decision to make. And I also hope things get better too! ❤️

Edited by s945

1 hour ago, AcademicSurvivor said:

Money or prestige is not something that makes you happy or your life worth living. I guess I should refuse the offer saying that.

Take it. There is zero guilt in accepting the accolades and awards that you earned. You do not need to feel guilty or that your are defining your happiness or value by money - you are not. You earned this award. You may not feel proud/relieved/happy right now because things are heavy elsewhere...that is OK too. You don't have to feel anything at all. But do not decline it out of morality/guilt/shame - that is the heavy part talking right now. You can take it and feel numb right now even, that is fine - you earned this and you deserve it - it was determined by a committee that you deserve it, so do not tell yourself that you do not. 

1 minute ago, Cdn_Psych_Today said:

Take it. There is zero guilt in accepting the accolades and awards that you earned. You do not need to feel guilty or that your are defining your happiness or value by money - you are not. You earned this award. You may not feel proud/relieved/happy right now because things are heavy elsewhere...that is OK too. You don't have to feel anything at all. But do not decline it out of morality/guilt/shame - that is the heavy part talking right now. You can take it and feel numb right now even, that is fine - you earned this and you deserve it - it was determined by a committee that you deserve it, so do not tell yourself that you do not. 

Thank you... 

I want to make a note for those viewing this thread for future application terms.

I experienced intense imposter syndrome during this process. You will attend tutorials, workshops, participate in forums, etc. and hear from extremely impressive and talented individuals. As a competitive person with a vocal inner critic, it can be difficult to see the worth in your own research and ideas. I encourage you to try and not let this be too discouraging. You are valuable and you do belong here, regardless of how you 'stack up' to others.

I ended up receiving a Vanier scholarship despite all the negative self-talk and stress that came up during this time. It is possible, and absolutely worthwhile to give it a shot. You may surprise yourself.

Congrats to everyone regardless of their result. Know the decision does not reflect the validity of your research or your value as a person.

• 4 weeks later...

Have any of you previously held a CGS-D and then were awarded Vanier? Were you able to stop the CGS-D and then start the Vanier? I see on eligibility it says this:

• not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral program.

Does this mean if we were awarded CGS-D when entering our first year of the PhD program we cannot be eligible for Vanier in the future - or is this more a stop the CGS-D and start the Vanier as they cannot be concurrent?