Vanier 2023-2026

s945

Hi Guys!

I'm waiting too! Last year my application was not forwarded to Ottawa! And non of the SSHRC-forwarded ones got the award in my university!!! And this makes me even more nervous!

6 hours ago, Fazi said:

Hi Guys!

I'm waiting too! Last year my application was not forwarded to Ottawa! And non of the SSHRC-forwarded ones got the award in my university!!! And this makes me even more nervous!

Why it didn't got forwarded? @Fazi and when did you know that, was it at the early stages or when results were revealed?

Edited by Mmsa

59 minutes ago, SG1993 said:

Were there years that the result came early (like one week ahead) than the anticipated date of notice? 

I can't do it now, but you could prob cross-reference the gradcafe forum posts over the years with the dates that were posted in these: https://www.researchnet-recherchenet.ca/rnr16/srch.do?search=true&org=VANIER&view=browseArchive&browseArc=true

21 minutes ago, s945 said:

I can't do it now, but you could prob cross-reference the gradcafe forum posts over the years with the dates that were posted in these: https://www.researchnet-recherchenet.ca/rnr16/srch.do?search=true&org=VANIER&view=browseArchive&browseArc=true

Wow thanks for sharing the link!

Anticipated notice of decision:

2023 - April 11

2022 - April 6; Result came out on April 7

2021 - none; Result came out on April 6

2020 - April 7; Result came out on April 7

2019 - April 4; Result came out on April 1

2018 - March 30 - April 5

Looks like we'll just wait on April 11 or later. 

Edited by SG1993

22 minutes ago, sh25 said:

So nervous I'm having a hard time focussing on other tasks! Anyone else? Or does anyone have advice on how to deal with these nerves?

I'm just taking comfort in knowing it I'm not the only one. :) And I'm trying not to think about the future or envisioning past the 11th. For the moment, for each day, there is only today and tomorrow. 

@Mmsa I'm not sure why it didn't forward! The university did not assign me a rank and only provided a very generic explanation! But later I discovered (based on my own review of previous winners) that in recent years they only forwarded students in their second year of PhD, not their first!
Except for the grades I received in my first year and two or three conferences, I couldn't add much to my application this year, but it was forwarded! (Perhaps because I was already in my second year??!!) - I am not sure!
And last year, two weeks before the final deadline, our university announced the internal results, and I was not among the chosen. Those chosen had two weeks to finalize their applications and submit them to Ottawa. Like this year!

Maybe they want to show strong ties to the university community? Or it could be that they don't want to have the same person try twice? Like if they don't get it the first year, then they would have to send them the second year. Might as well send in the second year when the application is going to be stronger. It makes sense, I guess. Also, the countdown begins... 26 more hours. 

1 hour ago, s945 said:

Maybe they want to show strong ties to the university community? Or it could be that they don't want to have the same person try twice? Like if they don't get it the first year, then they would have to send them the second year. Might as well send in the second year when the application is going to be stronger. It makes sense, I guess. Also, the countdown begins... 26 more hours. 

Yes, I can't stop thinking about the result!

In case of my university, you've mentioned good points, but I think it doesn't seem quite fair to make someone wait until their second year to potentially win a scholarship, especially if they have a strong application and could have won it in their first year. It feels like they would be losing out on the $50,000 they worked hard for in the previous stages. It would be better if the award was truly based on merit (Vanier's criteria), whether it's in the first year or the second year.

Anyway! Best of luck for all of us!!

1 hour ago, Fazi said:

It feels like they would be losing out on the $50,000

Yup. If I get it, I'm planning on taking 5 years instead of the 4 years for my degree to use up the full 150,000. No way, I'm graduating "on time" and throwing away 50,000. 

Edited by s945

3 hours ago, s945 said:

How do you know the exact date?? 26 hours to go? Is it released at the same time as CGS-D? My school only lets us apply for Vanier after our first year of PhD, so I've only applied for CGS-D right now...anxiously awaiting that but I had assumed they'd be released at the same time.