Please Evaluate My Profile for Fall2011 (MS in CS)

Manoj_Rocky

I have a GRE score of 1290(v-520,Q-770) and AWA of 3.5 . My Undergraduate was in Computer science and i scored 80% with distinction . I have done many mobile related Projects.

Can you please help me with the list of Universities that are safe , provides scholarship, has good acceptance percentage and research opportunities for Mobile/Pervasive/Ubiquitous computing, if i am applying for MS in computer science.I currently have a 1.3 yr Experience in a Indian MNC. Can you also tell the possibilities of getting a MS in CS. at

1)Arizona State University(has research in Mobile/Pervasive Computing),

2)North Carolina State University(has research in Mobile/Pervasive Computing) ,

3)University of Houston (has research in Mobile + Course on Gaming)

4)University of Texas,Dallas

5)University of Southern California(MS in Cs/MS in CS with Gaming Concentration) (found it expensive )

6)University of Florida (has research in Mobile/Pervasive Computing)

7)UCLA (has research in Mobile/Pervasive Computing)

I have two options

i) To take up MS in Computer Science and to further Continue my works towards ubiquitous and pervasive computing Fields.

ii)To take up MS in Computer Science with concentration in Gaming/Game Engine development (in universities that are not costly)

My second option is For Gaming, can you plz provide info on how costly and the acceptance rates are for these universities

1)DigiPen Institute

2)Full Sail

3)UAT

4)University of California (Santa Cruz)

Can some one provide me with info on both these options and list the pros and cons

Hi, my name is John.

I don't want to seem like a "pain in the a--" ...

But you've asked many many questions. And for most of these questions you could easily find out the answers yourself (acceptance rates at various universities, costs at various universities).

You're more likely to get useful answers on this forum if you narrow and limit your questions a lot. For example, "Does anyone know if NC state or Arizona State put a lot of emphasis on the GRE's AW scores? I scored 3.5 and wonder if I should take the test again."

In my own very-un-expert opinion (I studied undergrad CS at the University of MD), your profile looks like a typical average graduate U-MD CS student ... your GRE-V and -AW scores are a bit on the low side, but you still could probably be accepted.

But I don't think most members of this forum have the time to research all the questions you've asked. Again, sorry to be a pain in the neck and bearer of bad news.

Good luck,

John

Edited by DrFaustus666

Yeah, you have asked a lot of questions and it is a lot better to ask one at a time. I'm in CS but not your area so I haven't done any research on those schools relating to your area, but I can tell you that UCLA and USC are not 'safe' schools in Computer Science. Those two are pretty highly ranked and you would have to have a great SOP and strong letters of recommendation to get in there. Again for the other schools you will need to have a good SOP and recommendation letters as they probably receive many applications with similar stats as yours. What would make your application stand out is if you have research experience and if you highlight that in your SOP.

As for your second option, I really have no idea about acceptance rates at those schools and as DrFaustus said, you're going to have to do some research to find those answers. Perhaps you could even try emailing the departments at those schools.

Edited by newms

Hey Guys , Thanks for the info . I was quite lost as to where i should be starting with . So i just emptied down ma mind into a whole series of Questions there. Since my GRE score is kinda quite weak for the universities i have mentioned , i think i gotta re work again . How do i find the Univ to match ma GRE profile ? Will ASU be a safe one for me or on a Mod list , could you comment on my acceptance @ ASU , university of Arizona ?

I think you should have a good chance at ASU. Remember though, that there is no such thing as a guaranteed acceptance and many people have been surprised in the past and not got into their 'safe' schools. Also quite a few people have got into schools they didnt think they would have got into, so there is always uncertainty involved. To get a list of schools where you might be competitive, you could try this site that UTEP has: http://www.cs.utep.edu/admissions/

It will give you a list of schools it thinks you would be competitive at. It's far from perfect, but it will give you some schools to investigate.

1)DigiPen Institute

2)Full Sail

3)UAT

These schools are expensive and don't really offer very good education. Most people in the industry don't have graduate degrees anyways. A lot of it is just self taught although some do go to art school. You'll find that the schools that don't advertise their program actually have better programs. Ever hear of SCAD or Ringling? Probably not because they don't do a lot of advertising. If you want to get into video games, just start out by joining a group and working on mods.