Question about affiliation

frogstar

Hi all, 

Have one question about affilition. I'm starting my PhD studies. At the same I'm writing a paper based on the results which were obtained during my Master studies at other University. The paper will be in co-authorship with my former MS supervisor. So which affiliation I should write in the paper: 

1) The new university, where I'm starting my PhD. 

2) The university where I did my MS 

3) Or simply point out both of them 

Any suggestion?

In my field, people generally use the name of the university they're currently at, and add a note at the beginning of the paper, such as "Research for this paper was conducted at [old school]. I am grateful to my colleagues there for their input" or something like that.

I was in the exact same situation when I began my PhD last year. In the end, my affiliation was with my new university and we had a footnote about when/where the study was done and how it was funded along with the acknowledgments.

Why not ask your coauthor or new supervisor about this? They'd know best what's customary in your field.

Edited by fuzzylogician

In my field, people generally use the name of the university they're currently at, and add a note at the beginning of the paper, such as "Research for this paper was conducted at [old school]. I am grateful to my colleagues there for their input" or something like that.

This.

The purpose of your affiliation is to tell people where they can find you. You wouldn't list an old address, would you ;)