How much is a bonus for working during undergrad ?

M.M.

Does it make much of a difference in acceptance rates?

I currently work 15-25 hours a week and am wondering if I should just save up and stop working in order to allow myself more time to study.

If its not psych related work, not much if at all. If working interferes with school work I would try to cut back if you can. I know how it is to have to work during school so I know its tough.

I worked 15-30 hours per week at a coffee shop during college. While it won't really help me for graduate school, it showed my ability to balance school/life for employers after i graduated. I was able to get a really awesome job as a paid research assistant after graduating because i had work experience. If you are planning on going straight to grad school, then it probably isn't helpful.

However if not working means you'll be stuck with tons of debt, maybe you should consider taking an extra year before applying. If you can't find paid work as a research assistant, you'll probably still be able to get research experience by volunteering in lab, and continue to work to pay bills. Then you can apply to grad school and say "look how awesome and responsible I am, I can go to school, work, and have research experience!"

Just some food for thought.

I worked 15-30 hours per week at a coffee shop during college. While it won't really help me for graduate school, it showed my ability to balance school/life for employers after i graduated. I was able to get a really awesome job as a paid research assistant after graduating because i had work experience. If you are planning on going straight to grad school, then it probably isn't helpful.

However if not working means you'll be stuck with tons of debt, maybe you should consider taking an extra year before applying. If you can't find paid work as a research assistant, you'll probably still be able to get research experience by volunteering in lab, and continue to work to pay bills. Then you can apply to grad school and say "look how awesome and responsible I am, I can go to school, work, and have research experience!"

Just some food for thought.

Thank you very much. I will have next to no debt upon graduating, luckily, and will most likely be quitting my job next semester or whenever possible to insure top grades. If I could do 2 hours a week of community service, 2-4 hours a week of research assistance, and leave the rest for studying it'd certainly be of help.