PhD Social Work Fall 2023

Two rejections in 1 day, first WashU then Boston College... Really sad especially considering that I had a great informal meeting with the POI at BC SSW and they told me that they gave their approval of me to the Admissions Committee. I guess it's all downhill from here, not expecting to be accepted anywhere this year.

5 hours ago, pdgill said:

Hey guys! I applied to UC Berkeley’s joint MSW/PhD program in Social Welfare and was told by my POI that they do not do interviews and they make their decisions by the end of Jan!

Hi, there! I also applied to joint msw/phd program and got rejection mail from Berkeley last week. I hope this could be a good sign for you??check portal and see anything updated!

2 hours ago, The_Anxious_Social_Worker said:

Two rejections in 1 day, first WashU then Boston College... Really sad especially considering that I had a great informal meeting with the POI at BC SSW and they told me that they gave their approval of me to the Admissions Committee. I guess it's all downhill from here, not expecting to be accepted anywhere this year.

I also got rejection emails from WashU and BC today. Cheer us up! 

Do you guys happen to know if there are a high number of applicants, especially this year? I've got rejected from WashU and BC today. WashU indicates that they had an unusually high number of applicants for 2023 Fall, and BC also told they got 50 applications. I wonder whether it's just a generic rejection letter or an unusual situation for real.

14 hours ago, The_Anxious_Social_Worker said:

I am so sorry! Hang in there, hopefully decisions will start coming mid-February? I will post a list of the schools I applied below (by order of application, not preference):

1. The University at Buffalo - PhD Social Welfare

2. Northwestern University - PhD in Human Development and Social Policy

3. Columbia University - PhD in Social Work (this one I expect to be rejected for sure)

4. University of Michigan - Joint PhD program in Social Work & Sociology (pretty sure it'll be another reject)

5. University of Pittsburgh -  PhD in Social Work

6. Rutgers University -  PhD in Social Work

7. Boston College -  PhD in Social Work

8. WashU-  PhD in Social Work

9. Boston University -  PhD in Social Work

10. Heller School -  PhD in Social Policy

11. University of Alabama - PhD Social Work  

Do you have any of those in your list? I have only done informal talks with faculty and program directors, if anyone gets invited for official interviews, please let us know! Hope it helps. 

I'm international too... I also applied to BU and Alabama. I have only heard from Alabama by far.

It looks competitive this year. Wish everyone good luck!!!!

Hello, I am sure that you all will get into the school you want. I applied to 8 schools and received responses from 4 schools (OSU, WashU, BC, NYU). I got my first acceptance from OSU in early January. I had an interview with Wash-U in mid-January but got a rejection yesterday. I had interviewed two times in mid-Jan with Boston College, but yesterday I was informed that I was waitlisted. NYU requested an interview yesterday, and it will be in mid-February. FYI, I am an international student but received my MSW in the States. I have two-year post-MSW field experiences and around five years of research experience.

21 minutes ago, Bobburgersmustache said:

That makes sense! It seems like invite a lot of people for interviews. Also, I saw on the main page some people heard from UC Berkeley already! I haven’t heard anything . Welp

Oh same...I haven't heard anything from Berkely and status is also unchanged. 

21 hours ago, Baki_ki said:

Hi, there! I also applied to joint msw/phd program and got rejection mail from Berkeley last week. I hope this could be a good sign for you??check portal and see anything updated!

Hi! I’m so sorry to hear about your rejection mail, hoping you receive good news soon. I am shocked you got your rejection already, thanks for the kind words. Did you see anyone else also receive news? Also, do you kind sharing your POI’s initials if that’s not too much ?

5 hours ago, Bobburgersmustache said:

That makes sense! It seems like invite a lot of people for interviews. Also, I saw on the main page some people heard from UC Berkeley already! I haven’t heard anything . Welp

Hey! Do you mind linking me to the main page where you see the UC Berkeley updates? Are they for the MSW/PhD joint degree or something else? Thanks?

15 minutes ago, pdgill said:

Hey! Do you mind linking me to the main page where you see the UC Berkeley updates? Are they for the MSW/PhD joint degree or something else? Thanks?

I actually don't know where to find the updates, I'm sorry! When I go to the link they sent after submitting my application it literally just says "submitted." So I took that as no update lol. I don't know how people are finding updates on the portals. 

9 hours ago, Bobburgersmustache said:

I actually don't know where to find the updates, I'm sorry! When I go to the link they sent after submitting my application it literally just says "submitted." So I took that as no update lol. I don't know how people are finding updates on the portals. 

I'm also in the same boat with you. My status is still "submitted". If you got reject mail you can see changed status in your portal. But if not, you cannot find any materials in your portal. I've heard that results are gonna coming soon in a week maybe? Finger corssed with all of us! 

Hi everyone ! I joined to reply to this thread. I applied to 4 schools for phd in social work. Michigan state, uPitt, WashU, and Case Western. Just got a rejection from washu this week as others have mentioned. Anyone heard anything? I saw someone else was applying to Michigan state. They're my top so I'm hoping to hear soon. 

On 2/4/2023 at 11:21 AM, curlySocialWorker said:

Hi everyone ! I joined to reply to this thread. I applied to 4 schools for phd in social work. Michigan state, uPitt, WashU, and Case Western. Just got a rejection from washu this week as others have mentioned. Anyone heard anything? I saw someone else was applying to Michigan state. They're my top so I'm hoping to hear soon. 

I also haven't heard anything from UPitt and Case. 

I got an interview invitation from the University of Maryland - Baltimore last week, and the interview will be in this week. So far, I have had interviews from two schools (WUSTL, BC - one rejection and one waitlist) and two more left now (NYU, UMB). Still waiting for the responses from the University of Wisconsin - Madison, Rutgers, and USC. Finger crossed!

I didn't apply this cycle to any PhD social work programs.  I did apply to a dev. psych program and received an interview.  Historically, I have applied to UA.  They do not interview and they typically decide (later) into the cycle for those who applied.  They accept 4-6 students each cycle.  They are responsive to emails and updates.