Columbia University Teachers College 2023

mintchocol8e

Just now, thinkwisely said:

Hello, I am wondering what programs you are applying to. I apply to philosophy and Education PhD program. I have not got an interview and feel very anxious. 

Hi, @thinkwisely. That’s okay; I think interview invitations generally start going out from mid-January for many graduate schools of education. At least, that’s what I’ve noticed, though some do send invitations earlier. I noticed that a lot of STEM programs send out their invites in December, but that’s different.

I applied to the Comparative and International Education program and also have not heard back. You mentioned you applied to Philosophy and Education. I noticed that the one person who posted in the results page about getting an interview also applied to the same program as you did. But I’m sure there must be more invitations going out soon!

Hi @thinkwisely, I'm applying to the philosophy and education PhD program also - can't believe someone got an interview already! I have yet got an update about my application either. I did, however, had a 40-minute Zoom meeting with one of the two professors in the program prior to application (it was around early November). Could it be counted as a "semi-interview" lol? I'm now feeling anxious! 

Edited by Sherbrooke6888

Hi there!! Also applied for a PhD at TC but for the Social-Organizational Psychology program. Same as the most, I haven't heard anything from them so far. ?

Following @thinkwisely cue, I believe it is good to know from others who are in kind of the same boat as I am but the bad side is this limbo when you hear that other people are being called for calls or interviews and we have nothing. ?

@thinkwisely I do not know if that will help you but you are not alone!! I am also here anxious with you if that helps!! ?

One question to you guys, was your deadline also December 1st??

Edited by Diego Tavares

14 hours ago, Sherbrooke6888 said:

I did, however, had a 40-minute Zoom meeting with one of the two professors in the program prior to application (it was around early November). Could it be counted as a "semi-interview" lol? I'm now feeling anxious! 

Wow, that’s great! Did you request to meet with them or did they themselves suggest you meet via Zoom? Either way, whether it’s a “semi-interview” or not, I think it’s a great sign because often professors don’t have time to respond to so many emails from prospective students. So, I think that the fact you received such a lengthy response via Zoom is a great sign that they must be at least somewhat interested in something you wrote in your email.

I haven’t heard back from Columbia yet, but I did have a POI at another one of my top choices meet with me via Zoom in September (a few days after which I submitted my application). I didn’t see it as an interview in any way, but I still thought of it as a good sign, since she took so much time out of her day. Her advice was very helpful, and I really appreciated it. Her words gave me some hope as I wait to hear back from that school too. But of course these programs are so competitive, so it can really go either way.

One thing that really made me hopeful was that the professor assured me not to feel disheartened if I don’t hear back from any professors (prior to applying) and that not receiving a response is in no way a reflection of my chances at any school. She said that sometimes professors don’t respond to students in order to distance themselves until the application is actually submitted. So if someone doesn’t hear back from any POI, it doesn’t necessarily mean anything bad.

But of course this is all in regards to before the application is submitted. At this point, the silence can be so nerve-wracking, so I totally understand what you mean! But I wouldn’t worry; it’s not mid or late-January yet.

19 hours ago, Sherbrooke6888 said:

Hi @thinkwisely, I'm applying to the philosophy and education PhD program also - can't believe someone got an interview already! I have yet got an update about my application either. I did, however, had a 40-minute Zoom meeting with one of the two professors in the program prior to application (it was around early November). Could it be counted as a "semi-interview" lol? I'm now feeling anxious! 

Hi @Sherbrooke6888, the meeting definitely has the value of a "semi-interview", or even an "interview". I had a brief meeting with one of the professors as well. It seems to me that the admission process is kind of individualized and not necessarily require a formal interview. It is also possible that I am just comforting us, lol. Anyways, finger crossed. 

On 1/8/2023 at 10:16 AM, mintchocol8e said:

Hi, @thinkwisely. That’s okay; I think interview invitations generally start going out from mid-January for many graduate schools of education. At least, that’s what I’ve noticed, though some do send invitations earlier. I noticed that a lot of STEM programs send out their invites in December, but that’s different.

I applied to the Comparative and International Education program and also have not heard back. You mentioned you applied to Philosophy and Education. I noticed that the one person who posted in the results page about getting an interview also applied to the same program as you did. But I’m sure there must be more invitations going out soon!

I did see the post about interview and also noticed that one person who posted an interview last year received an offer one week after the interview. I don't know if it is good sign or bad one. What we can do now is just to wait for mid-January. hhh

14 hours ago, Diego Tavares said:

Hi there!! Also applied for a PhD at TC but for the Social-Organizational Psychology program. Same as the most, I haven't heard anything from them so far. ?

Following @thinkwisely cue, I believe it is good to know from others who are in kind of the same boat as I am but the bad side is this limbo when you hear that other people are being called for calls or interviews and we have nothing. ?

@thinkwisely I do not know if that will help you but you are not alone!! I am also here anxious with you if that helps!! ?

One question to you guys, was your deadline also December 1st??

Hi, thanks for sharing your program. Your words helped a lot. I hope my post didn't create more anxiety on people in this chat. ?

@mintchocol8eThanks for the reassuring words! I reached out to the TC professor whom I'm interested in via email, and as I didn't want to impose, I hinted at my willingness to meet with him by saying "should you be interested, I'd love to talk to you more about it." The professor then replied asking for my availablity. My email was pretty standard, where I talked about my academic background and commented on a paper the TC professor wrote that is relevant to my MA thesis. If I have to guess, I'd say that the professor was willing to meet with me because he (apparently) knows my current master thesis supervisor quite well. I got this feeling because in both our email exchange and Zoom meeting, the TC professor complimented on how devoted my MA supervisor is as a mentor and asked me to send him "his warmest regards." How this connection plays out in the application process, however, may be an entirely different story...fingers crossed! 

46 minutes ago, Sherbrooke6888 said:

Hi @mintchocol8e, is this from the results page? Because the only interview invite I see there was made on Jan. 3. 

Yes. I don’t know why it’s like this but if you search for Columbia Teachers College (those exact words) directly in the search bar of the results page without using any filters, you get these two results.

EDIT: unless of course the person was referring to another “Teachers College” not at Columbia but with the same program

D8831EBE-B427-48E4-8099-53AD4D101E52.jpeg

Edited by mintchocol8e

Thanks for making this thread @mintchocol8e! :)

I applied to the Counseling Psychology PhD program & received an invitation to interview earlier today (1/11). I've been searching the internet high and low for past threads, admissions data, and so on, but this is the closest thing I've found. Anyone have an idea of what the timeline looks like post-interview? I saw @thinkwisely mention a past applicant receiving an offer a week after interviewing, but I wonder if that experience was anomalous...

Good luck to everyone— you've got this! ❤️

@miucciamonday47 Oh wow, congrats on getting an interview! That’s great! Then I’m guessing you’re not the one who posted the result for the Counseling Psychology PhD on the results page. Is that right?

This is my first time applying for a PhD, so I wish I knew more but unfortunately don’t. I don’t even know if each of the programs accept at least one person every year or if some programs might not accept anyone at all in some years. I wondered about that.

@mintchocol8eThank you! And correct, that wasn't me.

Also, I found this in the student handbook (although it's only relevant to the Counseling Psychology program):

"In AY2021-2022, 302 individuals applied for admission to the doctoral program and 6 students were admitted to start the program in Fall 2022."

I looked for more information about what percentage of applicants are granted interviews, but didn't find anything. Hopefully all will clarify itself in the coming weeks... 

Best of luck with the PhD application process—it's daunting, but the worst is behind us! ? 

Guys, just sharing my experience. I dropped out from a PhD program from another school on December 2021 and the process I saw was the program interviewing a number of students very close to the positions they have available and a positive answer coming in less than one week. Overall it is a very much straight forward model. If you got an interview, they already liked you. If you don't mess up on the interview you are accepted.

I hope I have helped you somehow!!