Columbia University Teachers College 2023

mintchocol8e

Hello, everybody! I don't want to make anyone more anxious, but I do think that the more information and data we have, the better.

Just wanted to let you know that I recently got an email from TC saying I was selected for an interview for their Social-Organizational Psychology program.

Feel free to ask anything you want to know about their timeframe from now on. This is not my first round of applications and I know that people build all possible conspiracy theories!! ? I know because I do that!!! ?

Anyway, feel free to ask me anything you want.

Best of success for all of us!! ????

10 hours ago, heidindhr said:

I submitted end of Dec last year - no news yet! how about you? when did you submit? 

i submitted my app on january 14th, and same here, no updates yet. i'll keep you posted!

I found my interview invite sitting in my inbox this morning. I know it guarantees nothing, but this was what I needed to keep going today. I'm in the midst of a divorce and having to scramble mid-year (I'm a teacher) to re-plan my life... just wanted to give up today but this gives me hope.

Holy schmolly... I can't believe I'm even being considered...!! I've always felt like an underdog in academia...

Wishing everyone all the best with their applications ?

28 minutes ago, pepina said:

I found my interview invite sitting in my inbox this morning. I know it guarantees nothing, but this was what I needed to keep going today. I'm in the midst of a divorce and having to scramble mid-year (I'm a teacher) to re-plan my life... just wanted to give up today but this gives me hope.

Holy schmolly... I can't believe I'm even being considered...!! I've always felt like an underdog in academia...

Wishing everyone all the best with their applications ?

Amazing! so happy for you. When is the interview? 

@pepina don't underestimate yourself. Being called for an interview means a freaking lot!!

I do not know if you applied for a Masters or a Ph.D., but if Ph.D. programs have 5 spots they call something around 6 students for interviews. And if they like all 6, they find a way to accept all of them.

I do not know how it is to go through a divorce but I struggled with mental health issues along the whole the past year not believing in myself. So I know a couple of things about seeing your life crumbling down on your feet and feeling you have nowhere to hold. My invitation for an interview told me that the top reference in the world in a subject I care about believed in me. You should definitely hold on to this invite and go for it with everything you have.

Being called for an interview means that what you can deliver what those worldly renowned scholars value. Keep your head up and double down on that.

@pepina don't mention it. I am glad that I could help. ?

And just go give you some numbers, usually a PhD application ratio is something around 20 to 30 students for 1 spot. So, despite everything, being called for an interview is already a big feat. I honestly believe that anyone called for an interview is 98% there.

I dropped out from a PhD program before and I can tell you is not a piece of cake. You must be in the best shape you can muster for 4 or 5 years. I can only imagine what you are going through but if you really have the PhD goal, I would say the best thing for you is for that happening now, sooner, than later during the 1st or 2nd semester when you are still trying to adapt and making sense of everything.

Take your time to let what is happening on personal life sit in. Cry your eyes out to the point you get dehydrated. Just do it. Allow yourself that moment. But do comeback because I really believe that if you have been called for the interview it means you still have a lot to contribute. And, let's be honest, you still have the interview to go through!! ? You are almost there, but not there yet. Hold on to your strengths and plow through. ?

I applied to a Teachers College MA program and am very confused about the financial aid process. 

I filled in the financial information on my initial application, but since then haven't been requested to fill in any additional financial aid forms. 

On the financial aid information site, I unfortunately don't seem to be eligible for any of the fellowships or scholarships offered. I would love to apply to RA or TA positions, but am unsure where and when I can apply? 

I emailed the financial aid office and received very unclear instructions. Is anyone here aware of any other forms I should fill in at this point? What is the application process like for RA and TA positions? I would appreciate any advice from past and current applicants. 

Thank you!!

Congrats @appliedmath23!!

I just received the schedule for my interview on Friday and it will be the whole freaking day of meetings and conversations!! And my interview will be with the 2 faculty that I pretty much mentioned throughout all my personal statement. Is anyone here freaking out?!??!  Because I am not freaking out. Not a bit. ???

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 4:34 AM, Roro2023 said:

Are anyone here still waiting? And what is TC Columbia's acceptance rate? How did you write your SOPs?

I am! I've reached out to other people applying to TC in varying programs. I guess decisions are released on different dates for different programs.