well, given that there's nothing in the Library Sciences Forum yet pertaining to Fall 2023 applications/admissions, i'm pretty skeptical of this thread becoming very active at this point. i suppose there's no harm in creating the topic anyway, though...

sidebar: it has just occurred to me that people might not even use GC as a main platform for this kind of forum anymore.... in which case, salutations to the void? idk. just please oh please don't tell me that everyone's migrated over to using Facebook and/or Twitter for MLIS-related chatter. i'm not on either of those platforms, and just the thought of potentially "having" to join either one in order to participate in an MLIS forum is like probably the biggest bummer I can imagine honestly.....

BUT i digress so will now likely proceed by just following the apparent template used in the previous years' iterations of this topic thread. (topic thread? is that a thing? i haven't been active in a forum since like 2015 and that one was in fact just another GradCafe one.... sooo feeling a bit like i don't know how to talk to people on the internet anymore? i'm sure that anyone who reads this definitely came for exactly this kind of ~relatable content~ though.)

i think i'll do that in a new post, however, as i'd really rather avoid being the weird rando posting like fully the equivalent of a novella in a forum where no one asked for it and where it's also highly unlikely that more than like 7-9 people will ever read it....

• 1 month later...

Also been looking for a place to chat about library science results/applications/etc. Obviously one reply to this thread in two months isn't a great track record but may as well contribute!

I applied to the MSLIS at UIUC, the dual art history MA/MSLS at UNC-Chapel Hill, and the MLIS at UCLA. So far, I've been accepted to UIUC with no guaranteed funding (though I'm in-state and got an interview for a tuition-waiver-eligible assistantship at their art library), accepted at UNC with guaranteed funding through the CALA program, and haven't heard anything from UCLA.

Anyone else have anything at all to add? I'm also interested if anyone has thoughts about the CALA program at UNC. It seems pretty great in terms of tuition support + work appointment + salary, but would love to hear from anyone who has experience in it/knows someone who does.

Good luck to everyone still thinking/waiting/applying!

welp, you and i managed not to apply to any of the same programs, so i'm not sure how helpful my reply will be....  but for the sake of not letting this thread die before it had the chance to live...

here's where i applied and the responses i've received so far (FWIW, i only applied to on-campus master's level programs)

- Simmons ---  accepted w/ guaranteed tuition scholarship

- Syracuse ---  accepted w/ guaranteed tuition scholarship + paid RA appointment

- Indiana ---  accepted w/no guaranteed funding

- Pitt ---  accepted w/ (relatively very small) guaranteed tuition scholarship

- Tennessee ---  accepted; notifications of funding are supposedly going out "in April" (presumably before the 15th? but who knows tbh)

- Wisconsin-Madison ---  no word yet (but their website says that notifications of funding will be sent out 3 weeks after admissions decisions)

good luck to everyone who applied this year!!

(NB: i'll admit that i probs jumped the gun in deciding to apply to Indiana--at more or less the last minute--without having reviewed carefully enough the program's info re: funding opportunities for master's students...  as it turns out they apparently don't award any funding to "most" of their incoming MS students (but i'd be super curious to hear from anyone who's able to provide a more concrete picture of what that funding landscape actually looks like)

On 1/16/2023 at 1:13 PM, PinkTeacher901 said:

Hello!

I’m interested in a library science degree, but I’m not sure where to start or if it’s the right thing to do. ? I really like Rutgers’ program, but I’m scared of leaving behind my teaching career. 

if you want to dm me, i'd be happy to answer any questions etc. you still have. the /r/LibraryScience subreddit is also a super helpful resource.

in addition, the related subreddits /r/Librarians, /r/Libraries, and /r/Archivists are very informative and definitely at least worth perusing (although the last one will probably only seem useful if you're interested in specializing in archives/records etc.). while not as specifically geared toward being a student/prospective student of library science, they do offer great snapshots of many other aspects of having/pursuing a career in the field (state of the job market, etc.) that would for sure be helpful for you to browse around if you're still uncertain about whether or not LS might be a good fit for you.

17 hours ago, littlepigeon said:

welp, you and i managed not to apply to any of the same programs, so i'm not sure how helpful my reply will be....  but for the sake of not letting this thread die before it had the chance to live...

here's where i applied and the responses i've received so far (FWIW, i only applied to on-campus master's level programs)

- Simmons ---  accepted w/ guaranteed tuition scholarship

- Syracuse ---  accepted w/ guaranteed tuition scholarship + paid RA appointment

- Indiana ---  accepted w/no guaranteed funding

- Pitt ---  accepted w/ (relatively very small) guaranteed tuition scholarship

- Tennessee ---  accepted; notifications of funding are supposedly going out "in April" (presumably before the 15th? but who knows tbh)

- Wisconsin-Madison ---  no word yet (but their website says that notifications of funding will be sent out 3 weeks after admissions decisions)

good luck to everyone who applied this year!!

(NB: i'll admit that i probs jumped the gun in deciding to apply to Indiana--at more or less the last minute--without having reviewed carefully enough the program's info re: funding opportunities for master's students...  as it turns out they apparently don't award any funding to "most" of their incoming MS students (but i'd be super curious to hear from anyone who's able to provide a more concrete picture of what that funding landscape actually looks like)

Hey congrats on all the acceptances!!

From what I've seen it's not super common to get full tuition covered for most library science programs. I ended up not applying to UMich for the exact reason you added your postscript about Indiana. You're also on all the subreddits so I'm sure you know the sentiment that many programs accept more applicants than they should for greedy money purposes. I'm sure the fact that you got multiple scholarships means you stand out! Syracuse even giving a paid appointment is pretty great.

This was a helpful document when I was searching for funding. It's a few years out of date, but it's a detailed list from the ALA of all the scholarships that MLIS programs offer.

Are you leaning any particular way at the moment?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 1:18 PM, cimaroost said:

Hey congrats on all the acceptances!!

From what I've seen it's not super common to get full tuition covered for most library science programs. I ended up not applying to UMich for the exact reason you added your postscript about Indiana. You're also on all the subreddits so I'm sure you know the sentiment that many programs accept more applicants than they should for greedy money purposes. I'm sure the fact that you got multiple scholarships means you stand out! Syracuse even giving a paid appointment is pretty great.

This was a helpful document when I was searching for funding. It's a few years out of date, but it's a detailed list from the ALA of all the scholarships that MLIS programs offer.

Are you leaning any particular way at the moment?

I actually just accepted the offer from Syracuse last week! What about you? UIUC and UNC would both be great choices, and while I don't know anything about UCLA's program, I'm sure it would also be great. That's a tough call about the UIUC assistantship vs. UNC funding; everything I read online while working on my applications said just to go with the program that would ultimately cost you the least, but I feel like there are a few other factors I personally wanted to take into account when making the decision (which I realize I perhaps say from a place of privilege, in some ways).

21 hours ago, littlepigeon said:

I actually just accepted the offer from Syracuse last week! What about you? UIUC and UNC would both be great choices, and while I don't know anything about UCLA's program, I'm sure it would also be great. That's a tough call about the UIUC assistantship vs. UNC funding; everything I read online while working on my applications said just to go with the program that would ultimately cost you the least, but I feel like there are a few other factors I personally wanted to take into account when making the decision (which I realize I perhaps say from a place of privilege, in some ways).

Nice! UCLA got back to me with no funding, so they were immediately out (though I still really like the sound of their program!). Decided yesterday to commit to UNC - the CALA position is too good an offer to pass up. Chapel Hill isn't my first choice in terms of location, but it's at least pretty down there (unlike *cough* Urbana-Champaign).

Yay for free library school!