2023 Waitlist Thread

Thought it would be a good time to start one here. Admitted into two Ivies luckily but waiting on my dream and best fit, Stanford. Where are you waitlisted? Hope everyone gets into their dream program and manages to do something else other than compulsively checking emails til 15/04!

10 hours ago, ApplicantAwaiting said:

Ugh, I still haven’t heard anything from UW-Madison or UT-Austin but my applicant portals still say “in review” ?

I can provide some insight for UT-Austin! My advisor is on the English admissions committee and she said they are still reviewing applications. Decisions were sent out to those of us who applied to the rhetoric concentration because they have a separate admissions committee, but folks who applied to English haven't heard back yet. 

11 minutes ago, agunns said:

I can provide some insight for UT-Austin! My advisor is on the English admissions committee and she said they are still reviewing applications. Decisions were sent out to those of us who applied to the rhetoric concentration because they have a separate admissions committee, but folks who applied to English haven't heard back yet. 

This is such great info -- thank you! I, too, am waiting on UT Austin for English...

1 hour ago, agunns said:

Oh damn, that’s actually worse news for me, as I applied in comp/rhet ?

Waitlisted at UCLA, I really hope someone rejects their offer as my other alternatives are Northwestern and (potentially) NYU (I haven't had my interview there yet though)

Edited by JaneLWH

2 hours ago, ApplicantAwaiting said:

Oh damn, that’s actually worse news for me, as I applied in comp/rhet ?

Fingers crossed for you!

Have you applied to any other schools in comp/rhet? 

I feel like most of the other posters on the 2023 application thread are applying to Lit/comp lit programs, and I would really like to meet other folks in rhet/comp. 

1 hour ago, JaneLWH said:

Waitlisted at UCLA, I really hope someone rejects their offer as my other alternatives are Northwestern and (potentially) NYU (I haven't had my interview there yet though)

i got in but don't plan on attending so fingers crossed for you

46 minutes ago, conswrtng said:

Fingers crossed for you!

Have you applied to any other schools in comp/rhet? 

I feel like most of the other posters on the 2023 application thread are applying to Lit/comp lit programs, and I would really like to meet other folks in rhet/comp. 

Yes! I’m always looking for comp/rhet people! I also applied to ASU, UMich, Purdue, UWash, UCSB, (technically lit), Ohio state, and UIUC. Hbu?

11 minutes ago, ApplicantAwaiting said:

Yes! I’m always looking for comp/rhet people! I also applied to ASU, UMich, Purdue, UWash, UCSB, (technically lit), Ohio state, and UIUC. Hbu?

Cool, nice to virtually meet you! ?

Please feel all of my support as you go through the application season, I hope you get accepted to your dream programs and get to decide among those 7.

I had many of these programs on my list too, such as ASU, OSU, Purdue and UMich. But ultimately my list got narrower based on the stipend and high cost of living, especially since I'm an international student coming with my spouse.

I cut off programs in bigger cities and with low stipends, so ended up applying to only 2 programs, UoArizona RCTE and Miami (OH). 

I also applied to 2 other programs in Applied Linguistics because of my background, but I'm leaning towards rhet/comp and writing center work/pedagogies. 

What are your research interests?

1 minute ago, conswrtng said:

Cool, nice to virtually meet you! ?

Please feel all of my support as you go through the application season, I hope you get accepted to your dream programs and get to decide among those 7.

I had many of these programs on my list too, such as ASU, OSU, Purdue and UMich. But ultimately my list got narrower based on the stipend and high cost of living, especially since I'm an international student coming with my spouse.

I cut off programs in bigger cities and with low stipends, so ended up applying to only 2 programs, UoArizona RCTE and Miami (OH). 

I also applied to 2 other programs in Applied Linguistics because of my background, but I'm leaning towards rhet/comp and writing center work/pedagogies. 

What are your research interests?

Nice to meet you too!

I totally understand why you'd look for programs with higher stipends! I had considered applying to UAZ, but the faculty I would've liked to work with just retired. 

Have you gotten offers from the programs you chose? Good luck! 

My research interests are nontextual and embodied/identity rhetorics, rhetorical new materialisms, decolonial rhetorics, and WPA/WCA/WAC/WID. :) What sort of research are you interested in?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, fwiw, I just wanna say that after receiving an offer from Columbia last night, I'm gonna remove myself from the waitlists at UCLA, Michigan, and NYU. I will also be declining offers by Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, and Tufts. I hope some of this movement ends up helping other people!!!

@ittybittylitty Waitlisted at CUNY too. Did they tell you your rank on the list? I was told that they accepted too many people from my field last year so even though I was a "strong overall candidate," I had to be put on the waitlist. 

I will see you at the open house though! Seems like they have invited 50 people for 15 spots so I am not trying to get my hopes up.

2 minutes ago, postcolonialdialectics said:

@ittybittylitty Waitlisted at CUNY too. Did they tell you your rank on the list? I was told that they accepted too many people from my field last year so even though I was a "strong overall candidate," I had to be put on the waitlist. 

I will see you at the open house though! Seems like they have invited 50 people for 15 spots so I am not trying to get my hopes up.

Lol they should’ve bcc’d that email, but yes they told me my spot on the DH waitlist. They also said they’ll consider me on the modernist waitlist, too, though I don’t know my position on that one. How about you? 

1 minute ago, ittybittylitty said:

Lol they should’ve bcc’d that email, but yes they told me my spot on the DH waitlist. They also said they’ll consider me on the modernist waitlist, too, though I don’t know my position on that one. How about you? 

Love that you're on two waitlists!! I wish I was on the DH waitlist because that's 70% of my work. And yes, just told me that I was near the top--whatever that means.

6 minutes ago, postcolonialdialectics said:

Love that you're on two waitlists!! I wish I was on the DH waitlist because that's 70% of my work. And yes, just told me that I was near the top--whatever that means.

Interesting, so you’re on the waitlist for your era/period of specialization then? Are you hoping for CUNY, too, or do you have somewhere else in mind? 

11 minutes ago, ittybittylitty said:

Interesting, so you’re on the waitlist for your era/period of specialization then? Are you hoping for CUNY, too, or do you have somewhere else in mind? 

Yes! Waiting on CUNY, UIC, and UMass Amherst to make my final decision. April 15th is 45 days away (!!!)

2 minutes ago, ittybittylitty said:

Oh my! Congratulations, though. Those are great places. I’m sure you’ll get into one, two, or all three of those :)

Thank you! So are CUNY and NW for you, I hope to see happy posts from your side soon. 

Also, if you're planning on rejecting UT-Austin, may I ask if you're in RhetComp there or Lit?