MA Application Thread - Fall 2023

pure petroleum jelly

Hello, I applied to several master's programs in the US and the UK, and now I'm waiting for the result. I found out that there is a thread only for the PhD program, so I created this thread for the master's program. 

So far, I have been accepted to the Courtauld and the University of Washington. I've seen some acceptances to the Courtauld from the result pages, and I wonder if anyone is admitted to the University of Washington. Any comments about these programs or advice/experience from current or former students would be appreciated! (My field of interest is Early Modern Europe.)

I wish the best of luck to everybody. :)

17 hours ago, pure petroleum jelly said:

Hello, I applied to several master's programs in the US and the UK, and now I'm waiting for the result. I found out that there is a thread only for the PhD program, so I created this thread for the master's program. 

So far, I have been accepted to the Courtauld and the University of Washington. I've seen some acceptances to the Courtauld from the result pages, and I wonder if anyone is admitted to the University of Washington. Any comments about these programs or advice/experience from current or former students would be appreciated! (My field of interest is Early Modern Europe.)

I wish the best of luck to everybody. :)

My field is also early modern Europe! Congrats on your acceptances! Where else did you apply? I applied to MA programs at Bard, Washington university in st louis, Case western, Syracuse, UMASS, and also one PhD program at Berkeley. I haven't heard back though.

@anonymous_crazy_cat-lady Hi! I also applied to Tufts, Williams, Hunter, and Syracuse's Florence program. Did you apply to Syracuse's Florence program? I know it is a small program but couldn't find any comments or reviews about it in the gradcafe. It's good to see someone who is interested in early modern Europe. Good Luck!!

10 hours ago, pure petroleum jelly said:

@anonymous_crazy_cat-lady Hi! I also applied to Tufts, Williams, Hunter, and Syracuse's Florence program. Did you apply to Syracuse's Florence program? I know it is a small program but couldn't find any comments or reviews about it in the gradcafe. It's good to see someone who is interested in early modern Europe. Good Luck!!

Hi! I applied to the Florence program too!

Hi! I've also been accepted to the MA program at the Courtauld and was also wondering about other people's experiences there (I've seen some negative ones online, but I've always heard about it being the #1 place for art history in the world, so I'm not sure what to believe). I'm waiting to hear back from Williams, Georgetown, Oxford, UCL, and NYU (I applied for Museum Studies at NYU and Georgetown). Good luck!

7 hours ago, brickhouse33 said:

Hi! I've also been accepted to the MA program at the Courtauld and was also wondering about other people's experiences there (I've seen some negative ones online, but I've always heard about it being the #1 place for art history in the world, so I'm not sure what to believe). I'm waiting to hear back from Williams, Georgetown, Oxford, UCL, and NYU (I applied for Museum Studies at NYU and Georgetown). Good luck!

I've heard mix things as well, but if you want my advice, FOR SURE CHOOSE COURTAULD OVER NYU OR GEORGETOWN. Not only is Courtauld way more highly regarded than NYU's MA program, but it is also far cheaper and the MA program at NYU is described by many as a scam and a cash cow to fund their PhD program with little attention from the faculty. Williams is held to a very high esteem and has good funding, I'd say if you got into Williams, maybe that over Courtauld but both are very good schools. Congrats on Courtauld!

Hey! I did my undergraduate degree at UW and really loved it. If you have any particular questions that I can answer I'd be happy to talk about it more! Since you're studying early modern Europe, I imagine you'll probably spend a lot of time working with Estelle Lingo. She is so wonderful, and one of the main reasons why I got so into the field of art history in the first place!

I haven't seen anyone else post about it yet, but I heard back from Williams last Thursday about scheduling an interview with them - is anyone else in the same boat?

Hope everyone is doing well, and best of luck!

I was just accepted to RISD's Global Arts and Cultures Master's program! I am to receive the official offer in early March. I feel strongly that the curriculum is well-suited to my interests in visual culture and representation within a global context, and will support my goals of transitioning from a freelance curator to a full-time assistant curator (and onward). 

The only thing is that I haven't seen anyone discuss the program in this entire forum, and there is very little information anywhere else on the internet besides their own website and Youtube channels. Has anyone heard about this program (besides one of my past comments) and have any thoughts? 

@CezanneCezanne Congratulations on the interview. I hope it went well. I applied to their MA program but did not receive an interview request, which makes me a little nervous. I'm glad to hear that you loved your time at UW. The faculty is actually the main reason I applied to UW. I feel their research interests align very well with mine. I'm currently waiting to hear more details about the funding possibility. (I also sent you a message with some questions, if you don't mind!)

2 hours ago, pure petroleum jelly said:

@anonymous_crazy_cat-lady I just got accepted into the Florence program. I hope you did too!

I have not heard back from them yet! But major congrats! I did get into University of Oregon's MA art history program which I applied to as a safety school so thankful to have one acceptance in the bag, hoping to hear back from more soon.

1 hour ago, Lola123455 said:

Hi! has anyone heard from NYU - or has anyone had an interview at Williams yet?

I didn't apply to NYU but I know they just finished sending out some more PhD acceptances yesterday so probably the MA decisions will come out soon! Typically MA decisions are after PhD so I wouldn't worry yet. 

Also I applied to Williams and have not gotten an interview, but some people posted they did. If I hear anything, I'll post here asap. I probably won't accept Williams unless they give me a good financial package though because it isn't a good fit for me tbh, I also wouldn't blame them if they reject me....

1 hour ago, gobardhan said:

Saw a bunch of Williams acceptances on the results board. Do people know if Williams has sent out all offers? 

It might be their first round of admits?

On 3/10/2023 at 12:13 AM, dnosarth said:

Saw an NYU accept on results board but I still haven't heard anything...getting anxious

Hi, I updated the result of NYU. My friend haven’t heard back as well, so I guess that’s only the first RD. No worries and good luck. 

BTW, anyone heard anything from UPenn? I saw some updates from another forum yesterday. 

Edited by Liniiia

On 2/14/2023 at 5:18 PM, adubuk said:

I've been accepted so far to George Mason, AU, and Tufts (for Museum Studies) and am still waiting to hear back from Williams and VCU. Anyone else leaning more Museum Studies over pure Art History?

Yes, I am interested in Museum Studies. I'm an independent curator and am going back to school in order to increase my curatorial competencies. 

After you have submitted the application for Upenn, did you receive an email regarding your portal?

I saw people checked their admission portal when receiving no notification of their status last year. But I didn't acquire an account of my portal whatsoever. 

On 3/10/2023 at 12:13 AM, dnosarth said:

Saw an NYU accept on results board but I still haven't heard anything...getting anxious

After you have submitted the application for Upenn, did you receive an email regarding your portal?

I saw people checked their admission portal when receiving no notification of their status last year. But I didn't acquire an account of my portal whatsoever.